Slot Recievers - McKenzie / Cole

Jay Skurski indicate Cole could be a potential cut given our depth of slot receivers and his vaccine stance / his injury issues. To me, the guy is a warrior who played through a broken leg, so being injured but still suiting up and playing well is the whole best ability is availability thing.

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-could-be-surprise-cut/

USAToday ranked the top slot recievers and A Buffalo Bill placed 7th, but it was Mckenzie not Cole that go the nod from Doug Farrar. I actually found it odd that jarvis Landry was not on this list more than Cole not being on the list, but ...

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-best-slot-receivers-tyreek-hill-keenan-allen-juju-smith-schuster/

I Like Isaiah a lot, but when it is crunch time, Josh looks for one of three people to make a play, Stefon, Cole, and himself with his legs).

I do not see us letting either Cole or Isaiah go this year. Next year, well maybe next year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

For Cole it was a cracked not broken leg.  There is a difference and I have had it.

They're all the same thing.

https://www.orthopaedicinstitute.com/new/is-it-a-fracture-a-break-or-a-crack#:~:text=Fracture%2C break%2C crack%2C it's,of factors%2C including the cause.

This is pretty odd to have McKenzie this high with I think it said 21 targets from the slot. Iirc a decent amount of his tds were those jet sweep little toss that counts as a pass plays. Beasley should have been in top 5

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Replies merged and became one block of text
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Different doctors say different things.  Mine told me it was a fracture/crack and if it was a bone broken treatment would have been different.

• Vomit 1

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

For Cole it was a cracked not broken leg.  There is a difference and I have had it.

If you have 'had it', might I respectfully suggest you put those of us that vex you on 'blocked'. 😁

Geez, I hope he can see this to read it.  I might already be blocked! 🤔

• Haha (+1) 4

Emmanuel Sanders' former coach, June Jones, told Matt Fairburn that Sanders could be a gem in the slot:

"When I spoke to June Jones, who coached Sanders and Cole Beasley at SMU, after the Bills signed Sanders, he didn’t think the boundary was necessarily the best spot for Sanders.

'I think he and Cole both in the slots could be the real diamond,' Jones said."

https://theathletic.com/2647118/2021/07/08/bills-training-camp-positional-preview-finding-the-right-mix-of-wrs-to-keep-the-passing-game-elite?source=user-shared-article

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Emmanuel Sanders' former coach, June Jones, told Matt Fairburn that Sanders could be a gem in the slot:

"When I spoke to June Jones, who coached Sanders and Cole Beasley at SMU, after the Bills signed Sanders, he didn’t think the boundary was necessarily the best spot for Sanders.

'I think he and Cole both in the slots could be the real diamond,' Jones said."

https://theathletic.com/2647118/2021/07/08/bills-training-camp-positional-preview-finding-the-right-mix-of-wrs-to-keep-the-passing-game-elite?source=user-shared-article

Yep. If they cut Beas my expectation is their "base" would be Diggs and Davis wide and Sanders in the slot. McKenzie would get some snaps there with Sanders wide as well as his usual sweeps, reverses and trick plays I am sure but I think the top 3 receivers in snap count would be Diggs, Sanders and Davis.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

Sanders was a really good pickup by Beane.  He can effectively play outside and in the slot.  When injuries happen, he can be moved around to fill in where needed.  With the exception of losing Diggs, Sanders can replace any of the other guys without a huge drop off in performance.  My only concern is about how well his legs hold up in a long season.  I expect to see him share slot snaps with Cole (both are over 30) and fill in on the outside when someone needs a breather.  As some of the other posts have indicated, I don't see McKenzie being in the top 10 slot receivers in the league.  

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Jay Skurski indicate Cole could be a potential cut given our depth of slot receivers and his vaccine stance / his injury issues. To me, the guy is a warrior who played through a broken leg, so being injured but still suiting up and playing well is the whole best ability is availability thing.

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-could-be-surprise-cut/

USAToday ranked the top slot recievers and A Buffalo Bill placed 7th, but it was Mckenzie not Cole that go the nod from Doug Farrar. I actually found it odd that jarvis Landry was not on this list more than Cole not being on the list, but ...

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-best-slot-receivers-tyreek-hill-keenan-allen-juju-smith-schuster/

I Like Isaiah a lot, but when it is crunch time, Josh looks for one of three people to make a play, Stefon, Cole, and himself with his legs).

I do not see us letting either Cole or Isaiah go this year. Next year, well maybe next year.

This is absolutely insane and solely fueled by this writer not liking Cole's stances on certain things.

How did we go from McKenzie being on the bubble to him supplanting the best slot WR in the NFL? It's madness.

Edited by Boxcar
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

This is absolutely insane and solely fueled by this writer not liking Cole's stances on certain things.

How did we go from McKenzie being on the bubble to him supplanting the best slot WR in the NFL? It's madness.

It IS July and also like you said the writer doesn't seem keen on Cole's "outspokenness".

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

100% agree

This is complete BS! Some people are praised when they step out and have a different opinion, but if someone is against the political agenda, now they are poorly viewed by both the sports broadcaster, writers, and some on this forum. He was the BEST slot receiver last year and was 100% reliable to catch the pass. Mckenzie didn't play enough downs to be considered. I am sure the majority of his passes he caught were uncontested and within 5 yards from scrimmage. I like Mckenzie, but he is not near Cole Beasley's talent.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I have never thought McKenzie was on the bubble. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

100% agree

This is complete BS! Some people are praised when they step out and have a different opinion, but if someone is against the political agenda, now they are poorly viewed by both the sports broadcaster, writers, and some on this forum. He was the BEST slot receiver last year and was 100% reliable to catch the pass. Mckenzie didn't play enough downs to be considered. I am sure the majority of his passes he caught were uncontested and within 5 yards from scrimmage. I like Mckenzie, but he is not near Cole Beasley's talent.

Amen! 100% on target. I don't want to turn this into a political post (there are more appropriate venues for that) - but a member of the media, who makes a living off of airing out his opinions on matters, who would denigrate someone else solely for speaking out about his beliefs angers me. Apparently freely speaking out is something that is "good for me, but not good for thee" to a guy like this. Disgusting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Cole may be cut because of his refusal to abide by non vaccinated covid protocols. 

If he submits to the protocols he will be on the team. If not we have to move forward with the players we have.

I think he will do what he supposed to do. I still believe he was just venting out of frustration for some reason. We'll see I guess...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1