(EDIT: GOT ENGAGED!) Coming to Buffalo opening day!!! Need your help, first time in B-Lo!!!!

Alphadawg7

10 hours ago, Gordio said:

You think that is bad, I took the family to Disney World about 3 years ago, 3 hot dogs, a water, a large pop & an order of fries $46.  When the guy handed me my order he said with a big smile "have a magical day!."  I told him to go f*ck himself.    

My girl turned 27 in May and I looked at taking her to Universal Studios because she loves Harry Potter and loves going to Harry Potter world there.  For 2 day passes, the fast pass add on (which now only works once per ride), the $40 fast pass bonus allowing you to use it more than once on each ride was already almost $500 for the 2 tickets.  Thats not including parking, food, drinks, etc.  And we have no kids yet!!!

I literally took her on a 5 day trip instead which the airline tickets cost me $100 less than 1 day pass for us both would have cost.  INSANE, cant imagine taking a family of kids there.  And Disneyland is even more expensive, let alone Disney World.  

Its a joke how much these places cost now.  My cousin takes an annual trip to Disneyland for a couple days with her kids...and what she spends I can literally fully pay for 2 weeks in Europe or some place else, all flights and accommodations and food.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My girl turned 27 in May and I looked at taking her to Universal Studios because she loves Harry Potter and loves going to Harry Potter world there.  For 2 day passes, the fast pass add on (which now only works once per ride), the $40 fast pass bonus allowing you to use it more than once on each ride was already almost $500 for the 2 tickets.  Thats not including parking, food, drinks, etc.  And we have no kids yet!!!

I literally took her on a 5 day trip instead which the airline tickets cost me $100 less than 1 day pass for us both would have cost.  INSANE, cant imagine taking a family of kids there.  And Disneyland is even more expensive, let alone Disney World.  

Its a joke how much these places cost now.  My cousin takes an annual trip to Disneyland for a couple days with her kids...and what she spends I can literally fully pay for 2 weeks in Europe or some place else, all flights and accommodations and food.  

Not to get TOO far off track, but since it’s your thread and you mentioned it….we took the kids to Disney when they were little. One morning we splurged for a crazy expensive “breakfast with the characters”.  We ate while a handful of characters strolled from table to table.

A kid at the table next to us was FREAKED OUT by the giant monsters prowling around the room. He was hiding under the table shrieking at the top of his lungs! He pulled on the tablecloth at one point and almost dumped everything on the table onto the floor. All this time the parents are trying to calm little Billy, who is probably still in therapy decades later! I would have been upset by the racket if it hadn’t been so damn funny! I’m chuckling now just thinking about it!

Enjoy your trip to WNY and try to stop by Hammers Lot and say hello. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It is a joke, but people pay it somehow.  There are so many better thing to do with your money.  Universal is even more expensive than Disney but they have much better rides/attractions imo.  A family of four, if you go to the parks everyday for a week could easily spend 2 grand on just park passes which is insane.  Like I said, my son and I may hit a water park while we are down there(which are getting more expensive too) and my wife will take my daughter to Disney for a day or maybe two but that is it for us with the parks.  The parks are the biggest ripoff down there.  And no kid ever looks happy there either.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Alphadawg7 - congrats on the trip and the impending engagement! I don't know if anyone has said it yet, but I would definitely make Anchor Bar a priority during your stay.  Especially on the Saturday night before the home opener, the place is packed, fans from both teams jawing at each other (all in good fun) and just a great party atmosphere. We do it every year, and then get to Hammer's at around 6:30 am.  Highly recommend!

On 7/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I hear ya about Disney and Universal. Been to Disneyworld six times and Disneyland twice with my wife and two kids and it’s pricey, let alone airfare, lodging and car rentals. 

Congrats on going to your first Bills game and good luck with the engagement! I’m taking my son to his first regular season Bills game against Washington. I’m originally from South Buffalo, but I live in VA now since I got out of the Marines.

Going to Buffalo for the first time, you have to try Buffalo style pizza. It’s different from all the other major cities. It’s a thicker crust (not as thick as Chicago) and the pepperoni is unique as well (cups up and give the pizza great flavor). LaNova is the big name to go to, but pizza and wings places are a dime a dozen in the Buffalo area. My personal favorites are Wiseguys in South Buffalo and Pasquales in West Seneca.

Hotdogs are another specialty. Ted’s is really good. Places like Louie’s and Hot Dog Heaven have a special sauce they put on the dogs which is delicious!

Beef on Weck is another hometown favorite. It’s roast beef on a kimmelweck roll (salt and caraway seeds (gives the sandwich extra flavor)). Schwabl’s, Charlie the Butcher and Steve’s Pig & Ox are good places.

Chicken and Beef Souvlaki is another one. Souvlaki is a greek marinade they put on the meat which is delicious! I usually get Beef Souvlaki and eggs whenever I’m in town. Alton’s and Apollo have great Souvlaki.

Italian Restaurants: Mulberry’s in Lackawanna (was on the Food Network) or Chefs in downtown Buffalo.

Mighty Taco is another one. They’re not like California carne asada style tacos, but they’re better than Taco Bell.

For good donuts and coffee:Tim Horton’s (you’ll see them everywhere when you’re in town). Paula’s Donuts is another good place.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!  WE GOT ENGAGED!!!!!!

I totally forgot to update this thread, but I could NOT wait until September to propose and instead did it on the ocean cliffs of Palos Verdes near me on July 25th and she said YES!!!!  So I will be coming to Buffalo as an already engaged man, sorry ladies 🤣😂🤣

Seriosuly though, can’t thank the community enough for all the input in this thread and all the private DM messages about where I could propose there and also all the things to do while we are there!  Best fans and community in all of sports!  We can not wait to get to Buffalo on the 9th!  

Much love to you all!

9FE75B59-2B53-46A3-B060-1CF231D6FDFB.jpeg

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Alphadawg7 changed the title to (EDIT: GOT ENGAGED!) Coming to Buffalo opening day!!! Need your help, first time in B-Lo!!!!
8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I totally forgot to update this thread, but I could NOT wait until September to propose and instead did it on the ocean cliffs of Palos Verdes near me on July 25th and she said YES!!!!  So I will be coming to Buffalo as an already engaged man, sorry ladies 🤣😂🤣

Seriosuly though, can’t thank the community enough for all the input in this thread and all the private DM messages about where I could propose there and also all the things to do while we are there!  Best fans and community in all of sports!  We can not wait to get to Buffalo on the 9th!  

Much love to you all!

Congradulations!!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:15 PM, Jerry Jabber said:

I hear ya about Disney and Universal. Been to Disneyworld six times and Disneyland twice with my wife and two kids and it’s pricey, let alone airfare, lodging and car rentals. 

Congrats on going to your first Bills game and good luck with the engagement! I’m taking my son to his first regular season Bills game against Washington. I’m originally from South Buffalo, but I live in VA now since I got out of the Marines.

Going to Buffalo for the first time, you have to try Buffalo style pizza. It’s different from all the other major cities. It’s a thicker crust (not as thick as Chicago) and the pepperoni is unique as well (cups up and give the pizza great flavor). LaNova is the big name to go to, but pizza and wings places are a dime a dozen in the Buffalo area. My personal favorites are Wiseguys in South Buffalo and Pasquales in West Seneca.

Hotdogs are another specialty. Ted’s is really good. Places like Louie’s and Hot Dog Heaven have a special sauce they put on the dogs which is delicious!

Beef on Weck is another hometown favorite. It’s roast beef on a kimmelweck roll (salt and caraway seeds (gives the sandwich extra flavor)). Schwabl’s, Charlie the Butcher and Steve’s Pig & Ox are good places.

Chicken and Beef Souvlaki is another one. Souvlaki is a greek marinade they put on the meat which is delicious! I usually get Beef Souvlaki and eggs whenever I’m in town. Alton’s and Apollo have great Souvlaki.

Italian Restaurants: Mulberry’s in Lackawanna (was on the Food Network) or Chefs in downtown Buffalo.

Mighty Taco is another one. They’re not like California carne asada style tacos, but they’re better than Taco Bell.

For good donuts and coffee:Tim Horton’s (you’ll see them everywhere when you’re in town). Paula’s Donuts is another good place.

My friends father is the original owner of Wise guys

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Much love to you all!

Congrats Alpha. 

I mean why anyone would want to get married is a mystery to me but you two clearly do haha. Good luck with it all.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Much love to you all!

Engaged? I didn't even know you were sick!

JK - congrats!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Much love to you all!

Very happy for you, congrats!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:08 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

As some of you know, I’m California born and raised, and been a die hard Bills fan for about 35 years.  I’ve never actually been to Buffalo, let alone a game in Buffalo.  Well that’s about to change!

Just turned 45 today and my girlfriend just surprised me with tickets, row 9 seats on Bills side for opening day vs Steelers!  I’m so f-ing stoked!!!!

This will be an even more meaningful game for me as I just had a friend pass away 3 weeks ago from complications of severe permanent damage COVID did to him a year ago and he was a die hard Steelers fan.  My girl bought the tickets before that happened, but couldn’t be a more perfect game for my first time in Buffalo to see the Bills play.  I’ll have a patch in Steelers colors with his name on it sewn onto my Josh Allen jersey as well.  

Anyway, looking for some suggestions to do while there or places to eat.  I know we are hitting Niagara Falls, but any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

PS:  She doesn’t know it yet, but I already bought an engagement ring too. Now that this came up, I think I’m changing the plan I had and going to do it at Niagara Falls.  We are both huge fans of The Office too, and her favorite episode is the one at Niagara Falls where Jim and Pam get married :) But shhhhhh don’t tell her ;) 🤣

PPS:  However, if anyone has connections to the team that could maybe help me set up the proposal at the game too, hit me up as that would be huge too.

Hope she doesn't secretly visit Two Bills Drive!

Maybe she's the person who always rips anything you post!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Much love to you all!

Congratulations!!! And I hope you guys have a blast when you make it to Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:08 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

As some of you know, I’m California born and raised, and been a die hard Bills fan for about 35 years.  I’ve never actually been to Buffalo, let alone a game in Buffalo.  Well that’s about to change!

Just turned 45 today and my girlfriend just surprised me with tickets, row 9 seats on Bills side for opening day vs Steelers!  I’m so f-ing stoked!!!!

This will be an even more meaningful game for me as I just had a friend pass away 3 weeks ago from complications of severe permanent damage COVID did to him a year ago and he was a die hard Steelers fan.  My girl bought the tickets before that happened, but couldn’t be a more perfect game for my first time in Buffalo to see the Bills play.  I’ll have a patch in Steelers colors with his name on it sewn onto my Josh Allen jersey as well.  

Anyway, looking for some suggestions to do while there or places to eat.  I know we are hitting Niagara Falls, but any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

PS:  She doesn’t know it yet, but I already bought an engagement ring too. Now that this came up, I think I’m changing the plan I had and going to do it at Niagara Falls.  We are both huge fans of The Office too, and her favorite episode is the one at Niagara Falls where Jim and Pam get married :) But shhhhhh don’t tell her ;) 🤣

PPS:  However, if anyone has connections to the team that could maybe help me set up the proposal at the game too, hit me up as that would be huge too.

So awesome man!!! Congrats!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 months later...

Adding to the lore of my fiancé…after she got me tickets to my first ever game in Buffalo for opening day against Steelers for my birthday…she got me this for Xmas!!!!

She’s a keeper, and I am lucky she was dumb enough to say yes when I asked her to marry me haha

9E0C4561-9F5A-440F-A74F-96433790889C.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Adding to the lore of my fiancé…after she got me tickets to my first ever game in Buffalo for opening day against Steelers for my birthday…she got me this for Xmas!!!!

She’s a keeper, and I am lucky she was dumb enough to say yes when I asked her to marry me haha

She must not have read your takes over the years.

Just kidding, congrats bud.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WOW!  Signed and everything!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Much love to you all!

Congrats!!! Nice rock!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.