(EDIT: GOT ENGAGED!) Coming to Buffalo opening day!!! Need your help, first time in B-Lo!!!!

Alphadawg7

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im most likely doing it at Niagara.  We both absolutely love The Office as I mentioned earlier and her favorite is the wedding at Niagara.  She even wants to take the same boat tour of the falls they did when they got married.  So May do it on that boat or somewhere else around the falls.  

Was going to take her to a helicopter tour of Grand Canyon and have it land in a remote spot only the helicopter can reach and do sunset dinner and propose then.  But after this surprise trip, I think Niagara Falls will be even better.

She is in baby mode, definitely wants one.  We were talking about maybe starting to try beginning of 2022…but now she’s been running around today saying she wants me to get her pregnant during the game at the stadium though hahaha.  So maybe I’ll give her that at the game hahaha

Congrats on ALL of this. It sounds like she’s a real keeper! You just might make the news, but for the wrong reason! LOL

I love all the suggestions, and I have my own, but the real news is making the trip and getting engaged. Between the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, you can’t go wrong. That helicopter trip into the Canyon is amazing, and pricey. It’s something you’ll never forget, just like the Falls and Maid of the Mist.

I’ll be at the opener with wife, son and new DIL at Hammers Lot. DIL wants to do the Falls and I hope the Canadian is open by then, but their dog just ate a corner of my son’s passport. I wish I was kidding, because they have their honeymoon to Italy planned for the Fall and it takes 12 weeks now to get replacement, but that’s another story. 

Like your GF, the DIL has the spirit. Besides the Falls she wants to go to the Anchor Bar……and she’s a vegetarian! Seriously! It’s a National Landmark!

Somewhere @plenzmd1 has a link to more info than you could ever ask for regarding sights, dining options, etc. Not sure how recently it was updated. 

But again, it’s more about your trip and engagement than where you get your wings. CONGRATS! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Congrats on ALL of this. It sounds like she’s a real keeper! You just might make the news, but for the wrong reason! LOL

I love all the suggestions, and I have my own, but the real news is making the trip and getting engaged. Between the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, you can’t go wrong. That helicopter trip into the Canyon is amazing, and pricey. It’s something you’ll never forget, just like the Falls and Maid of the Mist.

I’ll be at the opener with wife, son and new DIL at Hammers Lot. DIL wants to do the Falls and I hope the Canadian is open by then, but their dog just ate a corner of my son’s passport. I wish I was kidding, because they have their honeymoon to Italy planned for the Fall and it takes 12 weeks now to get replacement, but that’s another story. 

Like your GF, the DIL has the spirit. Besides the Falls she wants to go to the Anchor Bar……and she’s a vegetarian! Seriously! It’s a National Landmark!

Somewhere @plenzmd1 has a link to more info than you could ever ask for regarding sights, dining options, etc. Not sure how recently it was updated. 

But again, it’s more about your trip and engagement than where you get your wings. CONGRATS! 

Thanks brother and thanks to everyone with all the great posts and comments

There was another thread on this early in the year with recommendations. See if you can search for it and or someone can post a link to it.

If CA is open do the made of the mist tour.

If I was still a capt on the boat we would do something special for you.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Alphadawg7 

If you tailgate in the big party grass lots ( it's a blast )  like 30,000 people partying blast

Just bring a 12 pack, and probably 95% of everybody will welcome you with open arms and buffalo love

So TRUE! When each of our boys turned 16 I took them to Buffalo for a home Bills game, cementing their fandom for life. I remember being at the Creekview restaurant in Williamsville (the night I bumped into Ralph Wilson coming out of the restroom) and what I was doing there came up. I had people literally begging me to join them at their tailgates because they loved the rite of passage story so much! Bills fans are AWESOME

The next day I tailgated with a hotel’s  “employee only field trip” I was lucky enough to stumble into. An annual thing at the time. Took a huge bus from the Hampton Inn downtown loaded with more beer than my 16 year old son had ever seen. Later that day I almost “bumped into” Ralph again when I was almost run over by his little “Pope-mobile” vehicle traveling around the stadium. A weekend to remember! 

P.S. - My son had been to the Bills game in Tampa just a few weeks earlier. I asked how the two experiences compared. He did not have words to describe how little they had in common. There were people, and a football game followed. That was about it.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As some of you know, I’m California born and raised, and been a die hard Bills fan for about 35 years.  I’ve never actually been to Buffalo, let alone a game in Buffalo.  Well that’s about to change!

Just turned 45 today and my girlfriend just surprised me with tickets, row 9 seats on Bills side for opening day vs Steelers!  I’m so f-ing stoked!!!!

This will be an even more meaningful game for me as I just had a friend pass away 3 weeks ago from complications of severe permanent damage COVID did to him a year ago and he was a die hard Steelers fan.  My girl bought the tickets before that happened, but couldn’t be a more perfect game for my first time in Buffalo to see the Bills play.  I’ll have a patch in Steelers colors with his name on it sewn onto my Josh Allen jersey as well.  

Anyway, looking for some suggestions to do while there or places to eat.  I know we are hitting Niagara Falls, but any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

PS:  She doesn’t know it yet, but I already bought an engagement ring too. Now that this came up, I think I’m changing the plan I had and going to do it at Niagara Falls.  We are both huge fans of The Office too, and her favorite episode is the one at Niagara Falls where Jim and Pam get married :) But shhhhhh don’t tell her ;) 🤣

PPS:  However, if anyone has connections to the team that could maybe help me set up the proposal at the game too, hit me up as that would be huge too.

I envy you 51 years old about to turn 52 and I’ve never been to Buffalo

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As some of you know, I’m California born and raised, and been a die hard Bills fan for about 35 years.  I’ve never actually been to Buffalo, let alone a game in Buffalo.  Well that’s about to change!

Just turned 45 today and my girlfriend just surprised me with tickets, row 9 seats on Bills side for opening day vs Steelers!  I’m so f-ing stoked!!!!

This will be an even more meaningful game for me as I just had a friend pass away 3 weeks ago from complications of severe permanent damage COVID did to him a year ago and he was a die hard Steelers fan.  My girl bought the tickets before that happened, but couldn’t be a more perfect game for my first time in Buffalo to see the Bills play.  I’ll have a patch in Steelers colors with his name on it sewn onto my Josh Allen jersey as well.  

Anyway, looking for some suggestions to do while there or places to eat.  I know we are hitting Niagara Falls, but any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

PS:  She doesn’t know it yet, but I already bought an engagement ring too. Now that this came up, I think I’m changing the plan I had and going to do it at Niagara Falls.  We are both huge fans of The Office too, and her favorite episode is the one at Niagara Falls where Jim and Pam get married :) But shhhhhh don’t tell her ;) 🤣

PPS:  However, if anyone has connections to the team that could maybe help me set up the proposal at the game too, hit me up as that would be huge too.

Bro, congratulations. You’re going to have the time of your life!

You’ve got to try Abbott‘s Pizza while you’re there. I know there’s at least one in West Seneca which is very close to Orchard Park.

If you have the time, I’d also encourage you to drive the country roads. It’s neat to see and experience the different towns and villages as well as what upstate New York looks like and has to offer. Besides the gas, it can be a free part of your trip.

I live in California too in San Diego (which is the reason for the 619 in my name. It’s one of the SD area codes). I’m a diehard bills fan also. I have a lot of family in New York and used to live on the East Coast so I know the area well.

Have fun, bro!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lucias on the lake in Hamburg  for dinner. Hands down no one can compare to the food anywhere. I suggest the tomahawk steak. Great view of the lake and city. But make sure you reserve now to get a table. You could also do the proposal here if nothing else works out for you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So how does one tailgate there?  Do you just show up?  Or is there a ticket needed to get into Hammers Lot? 

Message @Hammered a Lot and reserve spot. I assume you will have a car while in town? The opener usually features a Two Bill Drive section. Be sure to arrive by 8:30am.

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So how does one tailgate there?  Do you just show up?  Or is there a ticket needed to get into Hammers Lot? 

I'm not trying to be a *** but hammers is way more sentimental to certain people 

There are way funner lots .. he's like the tame lot for adults  

If you're soon to be fiance wants to go through tables.. grass lots 

If you want to party with 40,000 members of bills Mafia... Grass lots 

I believe Hammer is taking pre-arranged seating now.. covid vaccine checks as well, so I think you have to sign up

@Heitz it's jus an opinion man

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I don't know anything about him or his financial situation obviously, but I'd imagine being all the way across country west coast it is a lot more difficult to attend a Bills game than anywhere on east coast basically.

I know I had a hell of a time just from Va Beach, and N.C. Thankfully I got the pleasure to attend a whopping total of 5 Bills games since my 1st in 2008. It can be very difficult to get up there unless of course you got fat pockets and a good amount of time off to do something like that.

It’s at least a $2500 weekend when my wife and I come for a game. 

Congratulations and I’m sure your trip will be awesome!  

stay downtown at The Curtiss for lodging. Hands down great experience and close to tons of great places downtown. Hit Gabrielle’s Gate for a cocktail and next best wings if you can’t get to Bar Bill.  Allen street is hoppin usually 

Bar-Bill for wings and Weck.  

grab a beer at Moor Pat in Williamsville such a cool vibe

Marble and Rye downtown for a great meal or apps

american side for the Falls imho.  Canadian is way too honky tonk for me. 

Explore Buffalo is easily walkable. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think there is an extremely unique experience you really can't replicate anywhere else. In theNiagara gorge they run these giant speed boats over huge water crests.... and the water there is the most water movedper/second/area in the world. You can't hit a rock because the water is 35 feet deep yet there are these monster swells because so much water is forced through this gorge below the falls... I would only warn that everyone who might go be healthy and have a good back.

.https://www.viator.com/support/reserveNowPayLater?mcid=28353&tsem=true&supfl=sl&supsc=s&supag=118063152419&supai=498810881443&supap=&supdv=c&supnt=g&supti=dsa-694098304204&suplp=9031422&supli=&supfi=162599505807&supbk=1&m=28353&supag=118063152419&supsc=dsa-694098304204&supai=498810881443&supdv=c&supnt=g&suplp=9031422&supli=&supti=dsa-694098304204&tsem=true&supci=dsa-694098304204&supap1=&supap2=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIvXobDc8QIVYB-tBh0lMAQyEAAYASABEgK5EfD_BwE

PS - Do the maid of the mist too. It's a slow boat that carries a lot of people very close to the falls. I strongly recommend both and they are very different from each other. You could propose at NFs, it's classic.... or the Stadium whatever you wish.

Bills Stealers games are special as there will not be an empty seat in the house and Pittsburgh shows up in force. It's pretty cool.

Congratulations! 

And 

Go Bills!

Also you have to get a roast beef on weck sandwich with plenty of horseradish. Somebody please tell this young man where is best now. Itused to be Swabels....

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thousand Island dressing…hahaha just kidding 🤣

Only blue cheese of course and she actually mocks those who don’t use blue cheese.  She likes em hot and covered in blue cheese dressing

She's a keeper. Don't let her go.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im most likely doing it at Niagara.  We both absolutely love The Office as I mentioned earlier and her favorite is the wedding at Niagara.  She even wants to take the same boat tour of the falls they did when they got married.  So May do it on that boat or somewhere else around the falls.  

Was going to take her to a helicopter tour of Grand Canyon and have it land in a remote spot only the helicopter can reach and do sunset dinner and propose then.  But after this surprise trip, I think Niagara Falls will be even better.

She is in baby mode, definitely wants one.  We were talking about maybe starting to try beginning of 2022…but now she’s been running around today saying she wants me to get her pregnant during the game at the stadium though hahaha.  So maybe I’ll give her that at the game hahaha

That's a lot of information. I'm still trying to compute.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.