(EDIT: GOT ENGAGED!) Coming to Buffalo opening day!!! Need your help, first time in B-Lo!!!!

Alphadawg7

As some of you know, I’m California born and raised, and been a die hard Bills fan for about 35 years.  I’ve never actually been to Buffalo, let alone a game in Buffalo.  Well that’s about to change!

Just turned 45 today and my girlfriend just surprised me with tickets, row 9 seats on Bills side for opening day vs Steelers!  I’m so f-ing stoked!!!!

This will be an even more meaningful game for me as I just had a friend pass away 3 weeks ago from complications of severe permanent damage COVID did to him a year ago and he was a die hard Steelers fan.  My girl bought the tickets before that happened, but couldn’t be a more perfect game for my first time in Buffalo to see the Bills play.  I’ll have a patch in Steelers colors with his name on it sewn onto my Josh Allen jersey as well.  

Anyway, looking for some suggestions to do while there or places to eat.  I know we are hitting Niagara Falls, but any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

PS:  She doesn’t know it yet, but I already bought an engagement ring too. Now that this came up, I think I’m changing the plan I had and going to do it at Niagara Falls.  We are both huge fans of The Office too, and her favorite episode is the one at Niagara Falls where Jim and Pam get married :) But shhhhhh don’t tell her ;) 🤣

PPS:  However, if anyone has connections to the team that could maybe help me set up the proposal at the game too, hit me up as that would be huge too.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Alphadawg7 changed the title to Coming to Buffalo opening day!!! Need your help, first time in B-Lo!!!!
Just now, Brennan Huff said:

What does she dip her chicken wings in?

Thousand Island dressing…hahaha just kidding 🤣

Only blue cheese of course and she actually mocks those who don’t use blue cheese.  She likes em hot and covered in blue cheese dressing

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thousand Island dressing…hahaha just kidding 🤣

Only blue cheese of course and she actually mocks those who don’t use blue cheese.  She likes em hot and covered in blue cheese dressing

Then I would suggest Bar-bill tavern in East Aurora. Best wings in “Buffalo”. Technically it’s not in Buffalo but they win the best wings in the city every year. It’s also Josh Allen’s favorite. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As some of you know, I’m California born and raised, and been a die hard Bills fan for about 35 years.  I’ve never actually been to Buffalo, let alone a game in Buffalo.  Well that’s about to change!

Just turned 45 today and my girlfriend just surprised me with tickets, row 9 seats on Bills side for opening day vs Steelers!  I’m so f-ing stoked!!!!

This will be an even more meaningful game for me as I just had a friend pass away 3 weeks ago from complications of severe permanent damage COVID did to him a year ago and he was a die hard Steelers fan.  My girl bought the tickets before that happened, but couldn’t be a more perfect game for my first time in Buffalo to see the Bills play.  I’ll have a patch in Steelers colors with his name on it sewn onto my Josh Allen jersey as well.  

Anyway, looking for some suggestions to do while there or places to eat.  I know we are hitting Niagara Falls, but any other suggestions would be awesome!!!

PS:  She doesn’t know it yet, but I already bought an engagement ring too. Now that this came up, I think I’m changing the plan I had and going to do it at Niagara Falls.  We are both huge fans of The Office too, and her favorite episode is the one at Niagara Falls where Jim and Pam get married :) But shhhhhh don’t tell her ;) 🤣

PPS:  However, if anyone has connections to the team that could maybe help me set up the proposal at the game too, hit me up as that would be huge too.

First, let me preface by saying I am normally incredibly sarcastic and enjoy the zingers.   This is not mean to be that. 

Dude, how have you never made it to Buffalo in 35 years?!  I’m not insulting you, I just don’t get how it hasn’t happened.  

To answer your question, most of my rituals have died out.  If this is your first, and potentially only time, you should hit the classic landmarks: Duffs, Anchor, Niagara.  I’m not saying, not starting the argument of who has the best wings, I’m just saying you should technically go there at least once.  

On game day, definitely swing by Hammers lot for the TBD tailgate.  If you need parking help, I know a place.  

But overall, just soak it in.  Find posters you want to meet, see what they are up to, and meet up.  I always just enjoy being in a city with fellow Bills fans and seeing the memorabilia. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

First, let me preface by saying I am normally incredibly sarcastic and enjoy the zingers.   This is not mean to be that. 

Dude, how have you never made it to Buffalo in 35 years?!  I’m not insulting you, I just don’t get how it hasn’t happened.  

To answer your question, most of my rituals have died out.  If this is your first, and potentially only time, you should hit the classic landmarks: Duffs, Anchor, Niagara.  I’m not saying, not starting the argument of who has the best wings, I’m just saying you should technically go there at least once.  

On game day, definitely swing by Hammers lot for the TBD tailgate.  If you need parking help, I know a place.  

But overall, just soak it in.  Find posters you want to meet, see what they are up to, and meet up.  I always just enjoy being in a city with fellow Bills fans and seeing the memorabilia. 

I hear ya man, and valid question.  Ive been to many Bills game out in the west coast, but every year I am always like this is the year I go to Buffalo.  But I would either have friends flake, money or work get in the way, or even my girlfriend (not this one, past girlfriends) flake.  

It’s been a major item on my list right next to a trip to Portugal (I’m half Portuguese and found my family tree when my grandma passed showing where we are from) to see where my family started on my Portuguese side.  

My current girlfriend though is all about doing the things that mean the most to me.  And wow, did she come through with a big one for me.  This is why I’m gonna marry this one!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

Alphadawg, I have a great idea!  You said she gave you "tickets" (plural)...How about I drive over from the 'Cuse and meet up with you and the future fiance to show you all around and I can take photos of the proposal and all before you take me to the opening game.  Sound like a plan?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I’m a ball buster. My fiancée dips her wings in ranch and I will never let her enjoy them in peace

My girlfriend…soon to be fiancé…just turned 27 in May.  And when she was getting her masters at UCLA she waited tables and would bust balls about the blue cheese.  And it’s not even a Buffalo thing, she was born in the Bay Area and is a die hard Niners fan (Now Bills fan too, but as her second team).  

She just knows wings and blue cheese are the proper pairing in her mind.  She asked my friend who used ranch a couple weeks ago while we were at a bar “So how long you been a little b***h?”  I was dying hahaha and so was he.  

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You will literally have the time of your life dude.... I remember my 1st trip and something I will never forget. I had been wanting so very bad to go to OP for many, many years. Finally got my chance in 2008....and when I found out my best friend (Bills fan too) got us both tickets, I was so excited I was shaking lol.

The people and overall environment along with the epic time you will have, will actually have you considering ways you can move up there lol. Even knowing it would be virtually impossible, still will try and figure away. Was that way for me anyways.....

Enjoy and post you 1st visit pics.....

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My girlfriend…soon to be fiancé…just turned 27 in May.  And when she was getting her masters at UCLA she waited tables and would bust balls about the blue cheese.  And it’s not even a Buffalo thing, she was born in the Bay Area and is a die hard Niners fan (Now Bills fan too, but as her second team).  

She just knows wings and blue cheese are the proper pairing in her mind.  She asked my friend who used ranch a couple weeks ago while we were at a bar “So how long you been a little b***h?”  I was dying hahaha and so was he.  

I would have gotten down on one knee right then and there

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

-see if there's a decent bus tour

-see if there's a frank lloyd wright tour (which they made us do in HS but it was actually cool, and you get a sense of the neighborhoods)

-consider going over the peace bridge (if its open by then) and maybe a picnic at the park in Fort Erie, overlooking the city

-consider going up to the observation deck at city hall (if its still a  thing, and only if you have something else to do downtown)

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't know anything about him or his financial situation obviously, but I'd imagine being all the way across country west coast it is a lot more difficult to attend a Bills game than anywhere on east coast basically.

I know I had a hell of a time just from Va Beach, and N.C. Thankfully I got the pleasure to attend a whopping total of 5 Bills games since my 1st in 2008. It can be very difficult to get up there unless of course you got fat pockets and a good amount of time off to do something like that.

• Like (+1) 2

OP, this is all beyond cool, and very happy for you! And congrats, sounds like you’ve got a keeper, and that’s worth the most! I too look forward to making the pilgrimage soon—looking at the Texans game hopefully. Also very gratifying to see all of the quality contributors here with their feedback, I’m taking notes :thumbsup:.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I ate wings last night watching the UFC fight.  
I went through about a half bottle or ranch because I was covering each wing with it.  It’s just the best.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Vomit 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.