The drop that drove Bills' Gabriel Davis to tears ... and fueled his breakout rookie season

8 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

He was so damn good last year. And not just stats, he had some eye popping quality catches. The diving TD, the back-to-back sideline grabs. Amazing.

His development was a big reason the decision was made to not retain John Brown. The kid has a promising future. 

Davis looked incredible at the beginning of the year. His first two games I thought he made catch of the week in the whole NFL.... I thought he showed us he was human later on with a couple drops, but bounced back nicely until he got hurt. But man, those two catches for a rookie in his first games! Excellente...

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

His development was a big reason the decision was made to not retain John Brown. The kid has a promising future. 

Maybe a bit, but he wasn't brought back because he let us down all year. Football is an unforgiving sport. Emmanuel Sanders was brought in to replace John Brown and if he stays healthy, he is a starter as much as any WR. They will probably dive up the snaps pretty close if no one gets hurt. Diggs with the most and Davis with the least, but it will be pretty close with all four. Diggs - Sanders - Beasley - Davis, just like thatwhen all four are healthy, imho.

Ertz will provide a dimension that will make Josh think he can beat anybody, anytime.

But Sanders is a huge add too, no doubt about it. One more guy we can count on to beat top coverage.

Go Bills!

GD is a quality WR, and will continue to be that as long as the drive to out work everyone burns inside him, Beane drafted a good one in Gabe Davis.

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was excellent but he was probably the biggest individual beneficiary of Daboll having a great year calling plays that really caught teams off-guard.

Davis had a bunch of blown coverage TD's.

I think that's why he doesn't get as much credit for his extraordinary yards per catch and TD numbers.

Teams will be more prepared this season,   like they were in the playoffs,   so everyone is going to have to add to their games just to get back to where they were offensively.    

That's a tall task when your top 2 WR both had career years but they have a very hard working group between Allen and his receivers.......and the OC has a chip on his shoulder after getting passed up for HC jobs so there isn't a reason to necessarily expect less.

He dropped an easy td vs the Pats in that game the Bills pulled out 24-21 (and probably should have lost) and had a dropped td vs the Ravens in the playoffs. He put up huge numbers with Barkley in the blowout finale too, and that skewed his stats. Don’t get me wrong, I like Davis. He had a good rookie season overall. But that Buff News article doesn’t mention the mistakes and the padding, which makes me think that it reads like One Bills Drive-sponsored propaganda.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

He was so damn good last year. And not just stats, he had some eye popping quality catches. The diving TD, the back-to-back sideline grabs. Amazing.

Agree! He was outstanding and made some superstar catches.  The Bills haven't had a group with this level of ability 1 through 5 ever. They have guys that can make diving, sideline, and contested catches consistently.  I've posted for a while the NFL is about doing the routine at a very high level of consistency and making the amazing play more often than not.

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Having Diggs and Beasley on the team brought up expectations to another level and will continue to help Davis along in his career

That and a QB named Josh freaking Allen

Totally, Primetime. JA makes everyone better. Love it!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He dropped an easy td vs the Pats in that game the Bills pulled out 24-21 (and probably should have lost) and had a dropped td vs the Ravens in the playoffs. He put up huge numbers with Barkley in the blowout finale too, and that skewed his stats. Don’t get me wrong, I like Davis. He had a good rookie season overall. But that Buff News article doesn’t mention the mistakes and the padding, which makes me think that it reads like One Bills Drive-sponsored propaganda.

If you mention a drop in a playoff game, you also have to acknowledge the fantastic catches he had in the Colts game. 

Much depends on Beasley's situation but Imo, this season he will get a lot of balls thrown his way as Sanders will be used primarily as a deep threat.

14 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

Play starts at 1:28.08.

How is that not Pass Interference?

The defender dove & grabbed his foot, tripping him up just before the ball arrived. Yeah, Gabe still dropped it, but that trip surely played into it.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

How is that not Pass Interference?

The defender dove & grabbed his foot, tripping him up just before the ball arrived. Yeah, Gabe still dropped it, but that trip surely played into it.

I'll tell you what was on his mind... don't screw up your ankle before the draft. His ankle did get grabbed before the ball got there and at this point.. these players want to be healthy.. what round would Davis had gotten to if he sprained an ankle there? or worse? Nasty little ankle grab there... my career is on my mind at that point.

UCF has built up a powerful colllege offense, and fun to watch down here in FL.  Everyone around the country thinks about UF, Miami, and FSU, but UCF has been building their program up for years.  GD was the second leading WR In their history ahead of Brandon Marshall.

He was a steal in the 4th round and will be excellent for us barring injuries for years. Hypothetically, if the Beasley thing resolves, then he’ll be our #2 next year.  Sanders is an excellent rental, but it’s hopeful Hodgins will be another pleasant find once he gets on the field.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jeepers that article and last line gets me fired up!

“I want to go all the way. And I’ll do whatever it takes to get there.”

Pretty excited to see some more Gabe this year. Go Bills!

14 hours ago, 716er said:

I think Gabe has a huge year. He's taking John Brown's spot IMO - not Sanders

I don't know about that just yet. It's possible I guess depending on what they see in TC etc. I would love to see another productive year from him myself. Anyways, as of right now I think Sanders is Brown's replacement and Davis likely plays the same role as last season imo

Davis is ascending.  Good size, great hands, good route runner and hard worker.  Also, after all the praise we've heard about Hodgins, I wouldn't be quick to dismiss him either.  Excited about the kid from Houston too as a slot/burner type.  The three of them could be our future receiving corps (along with Diggs) as early as 2022.

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The story with the drop in the LSU game and a few of the drops last year leave a small concern that he could have more concentration/pressure drops or "yips" in his future.   I'm hoping but not assuming it's all going to be linear or even any improvement at all with him.   Josh Reed's happen.   Belitnikoff winner to remarkable rookie to  broken confidence and pffft.   You need to stay deep at WR in the NFL.   They are a bit thinner at the X or Z positions than I'd like.    No real competition at all for Davis job..........and one of the aspects I love about competition is that head-to-head takes players out of their own head.

• Like (+1) 1