The drop that drove Bills' Gabriel Davis to tears ... and fueled his breakout rookie season

Gabriel Davis had known nothing but success.

The sophomore wide receiver for No. 7-ranked Central Florida had won his first 21 college football games when he lined up for a nationally televised showdown against No. 11 LSU in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1, 2019, in Glendale, Ariz.

Davis had already caught one touchdown when, with the Knights trailing 34-21 with about five minutes remaining in the third quarter, he blew past the coverage and down the left sideline. Quarterback Darriel Mack Jr. hit him in stride at the Tigers’ 30-yard line, nothing between Davis and the end zone. And the ball fell to the turf. The Knights lost, 40-32.

He dropped it,” Davis’ longtime trainer, Bert Whigham, told The Buffalo News. “And he should have caught it. And he calls me after the game, crying. ‘What do I gotta do?’

“And I said, ‘You’ve got to outwork everyone.’ And he drove to Disney, where we were, from UCF. An hour each way. During peak traffic times. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for the next five months going into his junior year. And then the whole summer trained with us, too. That’s what it takes, right there. What do I got to do? You’ve got to work. And he did it.”

Davis carried that tremendous work ethic into the pros after being selected by the Buffalo Bills in the fourth round of the 2020 NFL draft. He even went out to practice running routes immediately after he was drafted.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/the-drop-that-drove-bills-gabriel-davis-to-tears-and-fueled-his-breakout-rookie-season/article_8c1a63ce-e0f4-11eb-974c-d35141b47916.amp.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_&__twitter_impression=true

i didn’t realize that he was such good friends with Matt Milano 

• Like (+1) 3

Love me some #13

Davis finished the 2020 regular season with 35 catches for 599 yards and seven touchdowns, which were the second-most on the team behind only Stefon Diggs’ eight scores and tied Minnesota’s Justin Jefferson for the second-most touchdowns in the league by a rookie wide receiver.

His catches and receiving yards ranked third among Bills wide receivers, behind Diggs and Cole Beasley, who were both named All-Pros. And his 17.1 yards per reception ranked first.

Davis also led all NFL rookies with five touchdown catches of 20 or more yards, according to the analytics website Pro Football Focus. He did not drop a single one of those targets.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

His toe tapping catches against Indy were amazing.

We don’t win the game without him. It sucked he hurt his ankle the next week (or was it in the colts game?)

Edited by YoloinOhio

Davis is such a huge piece to the puzzle of the Bills long-term success. He's really the only youthful receiver we have on the roster that already has shown legitimate potential. Davis breaking out into a legitimate #2 or 1B receiver to Diggs by the completion of the 2022 season would be huge.  He had a knack for TD's his rookie year. His total of 7 should have been 9. I believe he had one each called back in the Titans and second Jets game each due to illegal procedure penalties. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TailgateChef said:

Play starts at 1:28.08.

UCF punts on the drive, and Justin Jefferson muffs the punt and UCF recovers inside the redzone.

I'd say Davis and Jefferson both recovered from this game. 

50 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Davis is such a huge piece to the puzzle of the Bills long-term success. He's really the only youthful receiver we have on the roster that already has shown legitimate potential. Davis breaking out into a legitimate #2 or 1B receiver to Diggs by the completion of the 2022 season would be huge.  He had a knack for TD's his rookie year. His total of 7 should have been 9. I believe he had one each called back in the Titans and second Jets game each due to illegal procedure penalties. 

He also scored a TD in the Seahawks game. He was ruled out at the 1. We hurried to the line and ran a play. Had McD challenged, it would have been a TD. Ended up getting stuffed and taking a FG on the drive. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There was another one where he was incorrectly called OoB short of the goal line that the Bills didn't challenge.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

There was another one where he was incorrectly called OoB short of the goal line that the Bills didn't challenge.

Yeah that was in the Seattle game, bills should've reviewed it but didn't

2 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

He was so damn good last year. And not just stats, he had some eye popping quality catches. The diving TD, the back-to-back sideline grabs. Amazing.

Yeah had good grabs throughout last season. Couple in particular that was little more important were in the playoffs. Those tip-toe side line grabs were eye popping. Looks like Bills got a very good WR

He was excellent but he was probably the biggest individual beneficiary of Daboll having a great year calling plays that really caught teams off-guard.

Davis had a bunch of blown coverage TD's.

I think that's why he doesn't get as much credit for his extraordinary yards per catch and TD numbers.

Teams will be more prepared this season,   like they were in the playoffs,   so everyone is going to have to add to their games just to get back to where they were offensively.    

That's a tall task when your top 2 WR both had career years but they have a very hard working group between Allen and his receivers.......and the OC has a chip on his shoulder after getting passed up for HC jobs so there isn't a reason to necessarily expect less.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We don’t win the game without him. It sucked he hurt his ankle the next week (or was it in the colts game?)

I actually thought it was before the playoffs, last reg season game? I may be wrong, thought just about all the WR's were banged up pretty good going into the post season.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I actually tipped my hats to the broadcast crew on that one as I don't think anybody thought that was a touchdown (including the Bills obviously).