Conor McGregor

Buffalo716

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

3 stripe blue.

I probably would have my purple by now bit I tore a muscle in February and haven’t been able to train much.  I’m still in physical therapy.

I have more years in stand up.  I just started BJJ 3.5 years ago.

Awesome man congrats. It's really a lifestyle for some people

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Im turning 40 soon so I’m going to take my time.  It’ll take about 10 years for me to get my black belt but fine with it.  I’ve learned patience….something I didn’t have when I was younger.

What belt are you?

Yeah I have tons of patience now .. 

Two striped purple 

But I Haven't been rolling as much the last few years  

But I love Martial arts , from grappling competitions to MMA to boxing  

Ever watch Garry tonon?

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah I have tons of patience now .. 

Two striped purple 

But I Haven't been rolling as much the last few years  

But I love Martial arts , from grappling competitions to MMA to boxing  

Ever watch Garry tonon?

Okay.  When I'm going to start messaging you when I'm stuck on something!  

Right now, I'm more comfortable in side control than I am in mount and I hate it.  I'm more vulnerable getting swept and a lot of guys just lay and protect the neck.

I try to peel an arm down and go for Americana's but if they're strong, it's tough to do.  

I try high mount but when their elbows are down, it's hard to get through.

I can't get deep enough in the collar to put on a good choke.

What would you do here?

When someone mounts me, I never do this because I always roll like I would in the streets.  Obviously in a real fight, you're going to drop elbows and/or punch in you're in mount.  

BJJ.jpg

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay.  When I'm going to start messaging you when I'm stuck on something!  

Right now, I'm more comfortable in side control than I am in mount and I hate it.  I'm more vulnerable getting swept and a lot of guys just lay and protect the neck.

I try to peel an arm down and go for Americana's but if they're strong, it's tough to do.  

I try high mount but when their elbows are down, it's hard to get through.

I can't get deep enough in the collar to put on a good choke.

What would you do here?

When someone mounts me, I never do this because I always roll like I would in the streets.  Obviously in a real fight, you're going to drop elbows and/or punch in you're in mount.  

BJJ.jpg

You know that's a semi-tough situation... I've been watching a lot of Eddie bravo, and tonon recently and I love how creative they are

I really love to think outside the box

So I would probably do the same... And while you wouldn't finish in mount it would start there

I would  get a little crazy, and try to slide back on his hip a bit... If you could get in butterfly hooks from the top... You can isolate the legs

And then fall back into a straight ankle lock which is legal for blue belts.. it's definitely something you need to work on but alot of people would definitely be caught off guard 

Like dean lister said... Why would you ignore 50% of the human body?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You know that's a semi-tough situation... I've been watching a lot of Eddie bravo, and tonon recently and I love how creative they are

I really love to think outside the box

So I would probably do the same... And while you wouldn't finish in mount it would start there

I would  get a little crazy, and try to slide back on his hip a bit... If you could get in butterfly hooks from the top... You can isolate the legs

And then fall back into a straight ankle lock which is legal for blue belts.. it's definitely something you need to work on but alot of people would definitely be caught off guard 

Like dean lister said... Why would you ignore 50% of the human body?

Leg locks, ankle locks, foot locks etc….is maybe 5% of our curriculum.  We are a self defense school and we believe in smothering the guy and staying in dominant position. 

We learn them just to know them.  When I start competing, I’ll start working the foot lock defense a lot….the sport guys attack your feet.

I have thrown one foot lock in a roll against a black belt because I couldn’t do anything else.  After he escaped it, he made the rest of the roll miserable on me.  He told me he did that because if I ever leave a top position to go for a foot….he’s going to make me pay for it.

When we put the gloves on, those guys move when you mount them….they have to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Leg locks, ankle locks, foot locks etc….is maybe 5% of our curriculum.  We are a self defense school and we believe in smothering the guy and staying in dominant position. 

We learn them just to know them.  When I start competing, I’ll start working the foot lock defense a lot….the sport guys attack your feet.

I have thrown one foot lock in a roll against a black belt because I couldn’t do anything else.  After he escaped it, he made the rest of the roll miserable on me.  He told me he did that because if I ever leave a top position to go for a foot….he’s going to make me pay for it.

When we put the gloves on, those guys move when you mount them….they have to.

No you are absolutely right and that's why I said it's crazy lol 

You literally are giving up top position, so it's not really technically advisable.. any black belt would say it's a stupid move... But I've not been called smart a lot 😂

But I love watching Gary tonon do crazy stuff lol 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You literally are giving up top position, so it's not really technically advisable.. any black belt would say it's a stupid move... But I've not been called smart a lot 😂

@Royale with Cheese

Transitioning from a Americana to an arm triangle from the best 

Just keep drilling, and keeping up that constant pressure.. that's the name of the game.. constant pressure smothering your opponent.. and they'll slip

I fear not the man who did a thousand kicks once.. I fear the man who did one kick a thousand times

Edited by Buffalo716

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We had a guy break his foot rolling the wrong way escaping a lock.  That’s another reason I don’t throw them.

I don’t know much about Gary Tonon.  I watch a lot of Rener Gracie, Gordon Ryan and John Danaher videos.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Royale with Cheese

Transitioning from a Americana to an arm triangle from the best 

Just keep drilling, and keeping up that constant pressure.. that's the name of the game.. constant pressure smothering your opponent.. and they'll slip

I fear not the man who did a thousand kicks once.. I fear the man who did one kick a thousand times

You are going all Bruce Lee on me now huh!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had a guy break his foot rolling the wrong way escaping a lock.  That’s another reason I don’t throw them.

I don’t know much about Gary Tonon.  I watch a lot of Rener Gracie, Gordon Ryan and John Danaher videos.

You are going all Bruce Lee on me now huh!

Tonon trained under danaher at renzo Gracie.. he is a member of danaher death squad... He is a two-time world champion 

I've been talking to you for a lot of years at this point buddy.. I'm really pumped for you that you get to see Royce... I would ask him a million questions if you get the chance.. ask him what you asked me

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tonon trained under danaher at renzo Gracie.. he is a member of danaher death squad... He is a two-time world champion 

I've been talking to you for a lot of years at this point buddy.. I'm really pumped for you that you get to see Royce... I would ask him a million questions if you get the chance.. ask him what you asked me

I’ll ask him who he thinks starts at CB 2 for us.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Royale with Cheese 

For that scenario, what about setting up an Ezekiel choke sorta like this?

Yeah, an Ezekiel is one of my favorites.  I'm trying to get more in my repertoire.  The ones I roll with a lot anticipate that I'm going for it.

I'm working on the no gi Ezekiel....still trying to perfect that one.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah, an Ezekiel is one of my favorites.  I'm trying to get more in my repertoire.  The ones I roll with a lot anticipate that I'm going for it.

I'm working on the no gi Ezekiel....still trying to perfect that one.   

That was like My next question..

Do you roll gi or no gi 

SSince you're about self-defense, figure you're going no gi? Which is definitely harder to lock in an Ezekiel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.