Conor McGregor

Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

https://www.tapology.com/rankings/4051-worst-male-grappler-with-10-or-more-fights-in-the-ufc

I mean, tapology has him ranked as the 2nd worst male mma grappler with more than 10 fights.  

A lot of folks in the know feel that Conor is a “paper” BJJ brown belt.  He received his brown belt after knocking out Poirier in their first fight.  He didn’t earn it in a legit manner.  

Plus, I’ve watched every single one of his fights.  Well, at least all of his UFC fights.  He actually did better than I thought against Khabib.  Even though Khabib dominated him, he wasn’t able to “rag doll” and G&P him like he did to everyone else.

Other than the ones he lost to, what other good grapplers (other than Nate Diaz) has he beaten?  Conor never had to use his BJJ all that much...until he did.  Now we’re seeing how he stacks up with the better grapplers.  Not great.  I will concede that saying Conor is “trash” or “sucks” at BJJ is not accurate.  He is just not good compared to other mma grapplers.  I guess we can just agree to disagree, friend 🤷🏾‍♂️

Diaz is a better grappler.  Khabib is a better grappler.  Poirier is a better grappler.  These are the elite high level black belt grapplers.  Conor isn't at the elite level they are in....yes.

Khabib is a smothering grappler.  He pins the legs where you can move then moves into position.  He dominated him big time.  But Khabib also did it to Gathje and Poirier too.  

Eddie Alvarez is a high level grappler.  Donald Cerrone is a high level grappler.  He beat them standing up because on the ground, he's not winning.

You know who else is a high level grappler?  Roy Nelson.  He just never goes to the ground for whatever reason.  Same with Wanderlie Silva.  They prefer striking.

With Poirier, even when he was on his back, he didn't sustain tremendous damage.  He did land 2-3 strong elbows but if Conor was garbage, Poirier would have passed his legs easily and moved into mount....but he didn't.  Conor was actually able to keep him back....I was very impressed with that.  

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Damnnnn stfu 

I've been doing bjj for over a decade, that is bucket level stuff! 

I remember watching UFC 1 thinking he changed martial arts

My BJJ coach is one of the best in the world.  He was the first black belt in Georgia.  Got his black belt from Pedro Sauer.  All the Gracies know him and respect him. This is Royce 3rd time coming to our school.

Rener Gracie texts him a lot about BJJ.  He was texting him before Brian Ortega fought the Korean Zombie....talking gameplans.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My BJJ coach is one of the best in the world.  He was the first black belt in Georgia.  Got his black belt from Pedro Sauer.  All the Gracies know him and respect him. This is Royce 3rd time coming to our school.

Rener Gracie texts him a lot about BJJ.  He was texting him before Brian Ortega fought the Korean Zombie....talking gameplans.   

Ive seen  royler Gracie roll before 

The whole family are maestros...

Royce is like the walking legend.. but a lot of people forget that he wasn't even the most successful gracie in jujitsu 

Rickson was possibly the best fighter alive, and was absolutely the king of the Gracie clan

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Royce is like the walking legend.. but a lot of people forget that he wasn't even the most successful gracie in jujitsu 

Rickson was possibly the best fighter alive, and was absolutely the king of the Gracie clan

One of the first ever mma fights I ever watched was Rickson Gracie vs some Japanese fighter (can’t remember his name).  I think it was like 94 or 95.  Of course, it was on a VHS mix tape that we “borrowed” from my friend’s dad.  IIRC, Tank Abbott was also on that tape and nearly killed some poor guy 😂

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Royce was selected to fight in the UFC because he was smaller and younger.  They wanted to prove to the world that BJJ is the best martial arts so we'll have our 170 lbs dude tapping out 260 lbs wrestlers like Dan Severn.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

One of the first ever mma fights I ever watched was Rickson Gracie vs some Japanese fighter (can’t remember his name).  I think it was like 94 or 95.  Of course, it was on a VHS mix tape that we “borrowed” from my friend’s dad.  IIRC, Tank Abbott was also on that tape and nearly killed some poor guy 😂

I rented the first UFC from Blockbuster on VHS.  Remember the kickboxer that kicked the sumo guy in the face when he was on the ground and the tooth came flying out?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Royce was selected to fight in the UFC because he was smaller and younger.  They wanted to prove to the world that BJJ is the best martial arts so we'll have our 170 lbs dude tapping out 260 lbs wrestlers like Dan Severn.

I rented the first UFC from Blockbuster on VHS.  Remember the kickboxer that kicked the sumo guy in the face when he was on the ground and the tooth came flying out?

Gerard Gordeau vs Teila Tuli!!  I’ll admit I had to look that up, but I do remember the fight.  Holy hell!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Gerard gordaeu baby! 

UFC 1 was absolutely wild.. I loved fighting so I was hooked from the beginning 

Ken shamrock is a beast

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickson_Gracie#Vale_Tudo_Japan  ???

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Greatest KO ever in the UFC.  This is the crucifix.

Dude I swear to God I literally showed that to my friend yesterday

I was like this is the one position you never want to be caught in.. crucifix

And then I literally pop this video up

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.