Conor McGregor

Buffalo716

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

He should have hung it up after the Floyd Mayweather debacle.

What about the Mayweather fight was a debacle?  Other than he made over $100 million on an exhibition fight?

I am not sure why McGregor even took another fight.  He can still be one of the baddest men on the planet but outside of pride he has nothing to fight for.  

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

What about the Mayweather fight was a debacle?  Other than he made over $100 million on an exhibition fight?

I am not sure why McGregor even took another fight.  He can still be one of the baddest men on the planet but outside of pride he has nothing to fight for.  

Made another boatload of money off of his whiskey brand too. If I were in his shoes I'd be happy riding into the sunset. 

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Made another boatload of money off of his whiskey brand too. If I were in his shoes I'd be happy riding into the sunset. 

Totally agree.  Guy is apparently worth upwards of $400 million dollars after the whiskey sale.   I think at this point he is just trying to get a win to get his reputation in the fight game back.  To me, he has the sort of money that makes the UFC irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Totally agree.  Guy is apparently worth upwards of $400 million dollars after the whiskey sale.   I think at this point he is just trying to get a win to get his reputation in the fight game back.  To me, he has the sort of money that makes the UFC irrelevant. 

It's all about pride at this point. Unfortunately for him, at this point in his career, the more fights he takes the more his legacy will take a hit.

27 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

The guy stepped into a boxing ring to go head on with a world class fighter on their terms, never having done so before....

Well, he is one of the better strikers in mma history, so boxing for him wasn’t completely uncharted territory.  Let’s not not make it out like he was a basketball player being asked to play in a NHL game or something.

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Mayweather wouldn't step inside Conor McGregor's domain to fight him. 

I think he might for the right amount of money!  😂🤣  He did just fight a ***** YouTuber for chrissakes!  He’s quick enough that he could probably evade or stuff any McGregor level changes.  Conor’s BJJ sucks anyway.  I’d lay a play down on Mayweather for sure.  I think he could piece him up.

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It was a complete farce.  A sideshow.  Anyone who thinks that was a real fight would love the subtle drama of WWE.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Has nobody here considered that McGregor may actually enjoy fighting and also making money?

Of course.  I was a McGregor fan in the past, but I just couldn’t take his idiot nonsense anymore.  There’s some talk now that his next opponent would likely be Tony Ferguson...which makes sense, but I think Tony would sub him quickly.  Conor is too one dimensional as a striker and really struggles against better grapplers.  

The reality for Conor is that he’s not going to beat any of the top 10 lightweight guys.  That division is stacked, and Conor’s skills are clearly on the decline.  But as soon as he is healed from this injury, I’m positive Dana will absolutely roll out the Irish clown car once again and rake in the PPV money.

As long as people will pay for it, why wouldn’t he?  And why wouldn’t Conor collect a huge paycheck for getting roughed up for a couple rounds?

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Of course.  I was a McGregor fan in the past, but I just couldn’t take his idiot nonsense anymore.  There’s some talk now that his next opponent would likely be Tony Ferguson...which makes sense, but I think Tony would sub him quickly.  Conor is too one dimensional as a striker and really struggles against better grapplers.  

The reality for Conor is that he’s not going to beat any of the top 10 lightweight guys.  That division is stacked, and Conor’s skills are clearly on the decline.  But as soon as he is healed from this injury, I’m positive Dana will absolutely roll out the Irish clown car once again and rake in the PPV money.

As long as people will pay for it, why wouldn’t he?  And why wouldn’t Conor collect a huge paycheck for getting roughed up for a couple rounds?

I think its a bit of hyperbole to say the reality is he wont beat anyone in the top ten when he is literally ranked in the top ten.  You think he has no shot against Ferguson, Hooker, Chandler or Dos Anjos?  A couple of those guys have similar results to Conor in their last 3-4 fights, and they werent fighting the likes of Porier and Khabib.

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think its a bit of hyperbole to say the reality is he wont beat anyone in the top ten when he is literally ranked in the top ten.  You think he has no shot against Ferguson, Hooker, Chandler or Dos Anjos?  A couple of those guys have similar results to Conor in their last 3-4 fights, and they werent fighting the likes of Porier and Khabib.

Yeah, maybe a bit of hyperbole on my part.  I guess my point is I think he’s overrated because of his popularity.  He isn’t the fighter he once was.  He always has the chance of hitting that KO shot, but even his power isn’t what it used to be.  

I see him as more of a fringe top 10 guy as a lightweight.  I don’t think he can beat Poirier, Gaethje, Dariush, Charlie Olives, Chandler or Hooker. He might have a puncher’s chance against guys like Ferguson or Dos Anjos.  Just my opinion though.

I guess my over-arching point is that (IMO) Conor will never sniff a title shot again, and if he does for some reason, he doesn’t deserve it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

As long as people will pay for it, why wouldn’t he?  

Pretty much this.  Everyone talks about it and posts threads on football message boards, and a fellow baseball coach asked me what I thought about it yesterday.

I watch zero MMA, nor care much at all.  The only name I recognize if Conor McGregor.

23 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The guy stepped into a boxing ring to go head on with a world class fighter on their terms, never having done so before.....

It was simply to make money.  He made $100 million from that fight when he was averaging about $5 million per UFC fight.

I would have gotten into the ring against Mayweather for a 1/4 of that.  I have good health insurance.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The only one I think that he wouldn't have a chance against is Chandler.  I would take Ferguson and Dos Anjos over McGregor but I had to think about that one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.