Apple might get Sunday Ticket

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think the NFL probably benefits from the longevity of a very profitable partnership with DTV. And it seems like this is the one major asset that DTV brings to the table for AT&T, despite the bellyaching by AT&T. 

AT&T treats it like they don't want it and their customer service is garbage.  They are in the process of spinning DTV off into a stand-alone company (that AT&T owns most of the shares for) but you do things like that to prep something for sale and/or for accounting reasons because it's a place to stash debt and losses from that division so they don't pollute the rest of your balance sheet.  DTV has been a giant turd burger for AT&T as a whole and it wouldn't shock me at all if they refused to get into a bidding war over the NFL and just let the new shell company eat it.  The valuation of DTV has dropped from about 45B when they bought it in 2015 to like 16B now.  That's catastrophically bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I went with my wife tonight to meet our son at a nice place to have drinks and a couple appetizers. Nice place where it’s usually on expense reports, but we like it. A couple drinks each, a couple appetizers, tip and valet ran almost half of Sunday ticket for a year, I’m guessing. 

I’m not one for wasting money, but a LOT of people spend more at Starbucks than they would seeing Bills games. Some methods are more affordable than others, but it’s good that almost all of us can find a way. 

Exactly.  When the Bills had no prime time games, I looked at it as 16 games for about $300 is less than $20 per game.  I used to go to a Bills Backers location in San Jose.  Between having to drive 30 miles to get there,  most of the Bills games starting at 10 AM out here, and paying for food and drinks, I prefer ST.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Do any of the streaming services offer a dvr type option? I record all the games and every once in a while I need to start a little late. I also really like the option to rewind to watch a play over or the occasional pause when life comes up. 

That’s one of my main fears when it’s no longer on dtv. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

Ah I got you now sorry and yes you’re absolutely right sunday ticket is available on just about everything and everywhere.

I have big thumbs, little phone syndrome :)

23 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

Do any of the streaming services offer a dvr type option? I record all the games and every once in a while I need to start a little late. I also really like the option to rewind to watch a play over or the occasional pause when life comes up. 

Youtube TV has unlimited dvr space. And it's location based, so you can get the Buffalo area broadcasts. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Just an FYI, if you have/know a kid in college, you can use his/her email address to get ST for $100.

I did that for a few years when my daughter was in college.  The service is not as good as the full-scale ST, but if you only want to watch one team's games it does work.

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

An article like this has popped up every year for the last 20 years.  I don’t think DTV is going to be giving up Sunday ticket. 

Agree but I don't think it will be exclusive anymore. 

• Agree 1

I refused to pay Directv / AT&T their absurd fees last year for Sunday ticket. They looked to face you into a bundled deal with their cable where I now live. I assume it will be the same for this season. I just paid for game pass and tried to not see the score until after I was able to see the game delayed.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’d like to see team specific packages as I’m only interested in the Bills. Everyone else is background noise. 

btw, this topic has been addressed in the ‘ ..easiest and cheapest way to watch Bills games on tv’ thread. All speculation currently as DTV has the rights through the ‘22 season.

Pretty much any nfl fan who gets the ticket is in the same boat.  As evidence.  Show me the list of people who live within their teams market but are still willing to pay for Sunday ticket to get the other games.  Because it is apple it will be different.  And because it’s the nfl it will be more expensive.  I predict it will be more for your one game than the whole thing costs now.  Again the one game is what draws people in and direct had the infrastructure to provide all games simultaneously so that was an obvious implementation.  Below is a quote from the article.   You will pay more not less.  

The NFL will likely look for a substantial price increase for any new arrangement, according to the report.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I have big thumbs, little phone syndrome :)

Youtube TV has unlimited dvr space. And it's location based, so you can get the Buffalo area broadcasts. 

YouTube TV has ST??? We just switched to it. This would be fantastic!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

An article like this has popped up every year for the last 20 years.  I don’t think DTV is going to be giving up Sunday ticket. 

I think it might have more to do with the nfl. Dtv’s exclusivity is hurting their distribution.

im positive there are millions upon millions of subscribers that don’t want to commit to dtv but would gladly pay to stream nfl over their internet. And their subscriber base continues to contract. 

Somehow my account got grandfathered into I can’t have dtv so I can Sunday ticket stream with out dtv like a decade ago. so I’ve kept doing it. 

I’m sure there are many more who’d do this but their address algorithm seems to have gotten more stringent. 

8 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Game pass is made for you! Watch the post recorded game without commercials. Rewind as much as you like. I think they improved it to where you can replay within 30 minutes of game conclusion.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Game pass is made for you! Watch the post recorded game without commercials. Rewind as much as you like. I think they improved it to where you can replay within 30 minutes of game conclusion.

Thanks for the reply but waiting for the game to be over is not what I’m wanting at all. I just love the wiggle room I get with the dvr so I can step away for a minute and never miss a play.

I hope whoever gets the rights incorporates a similar feature. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

I did that for a few years when my daughter was in college.  The service is not as good as the full-scale ST, but if you only want to watch one team's games it does work.

My son's been doing it for the past 2 years (i.e. since he entered college).  You can watch any game you want. 

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hear what you are saying. But these articles always pop up around negotiating time and I believe they are more about generating some leverage for both sides. 

I think the NFL probably benefits from the longevity of a very profitable partnership with DTV. And it seems like this is the one major asset that DTV brings to the table for AT&T, despite the bellyaching by AT&T. 

I have read articles throughout the years (mostly around negotiating time) about ESPN+, Disney, Amazon, Yahoo, dish network, some random streaming sports entity, and now Apple all interested in buying it. Maybe it will be true one day. But I guess I will believe it when I see it. 

But I don't think it's making much of any money for AT&T so can't see them bidding very high for it.  They may bid, but at a lower price.  The one thing that could change would be if AT&T bids it also as a stand alone package, no need at all for DTV (and yes in theory can do that today, but only if you have an address that can't get a signal).  But that wouldn't help DTV at all then.   The one big difference this time is this is the first negotiation between the NFL and AT&T, prior was always with DTV and they seem to be more hard line and may not care much about DTV.  Believe recently they even just spun it off?

I do wonder if the NFL wants to get into another situation where you need a certain package to view it, i.e. Apple TV, U-Tube, AT&T or would they rather give it to someone like an ESPN or Fox Sports and then up to whatever providers wish to carry it.   Or a Yahoo or Prime where no additional packages required.  I 'd think if they wish to stop all the illegal viewing sites may be best to go that way as people would be more willing to pay an amount of money strictly for ST and not 100 other channels they don't wish to view.

I do agree 100% with your statement in bold, but I'll take the other side as would be shocked if it's back on DTV

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

AT&T treats it like they don't want it and their customer service is garbage.  They are in the process of spinning DTV off into a stand-alone company (that AT&T owns most of the shares for) but you do things like that to prep something for sale and/or for accounting reasons because it's a place to stash debt and losses from that division so they don't pollute the rest of your balance sheet.  DTV has been a giant turd burger for AT&T as a whole and it wouldn't shock me at all if they refused to get into a bidding war over the NFL and just let the new shell company eat it.  The valuation of DTV has dropped from about 45B when they bought it in 2015 to like 16B now.  That's catastrophically bad.

There's a reason why their logo is the Death Star.