Apple might get Sunday Ticket

On 7/9/2021 at 8:06 PM, Motorin' said:

You can stream Sunday ticket on any device now....

You can stream on a device that allows streaming, but you must have a subscription to DTV and then use the NFL DTV App. 

On 7/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, Augie said:

The same with me, until the VERY rare occurrence that cable goes out for a while. Then I convince myself that having some redundancy of service is worthwhile.  

Get the DTV app on your phone/ipad and stream when DTV is cloud covered.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Corporate America gouging on price?????

Highly doubt that 😳

Right? Even right now, everybody, I mean everybody, is raising pricing just because of the chip shortage. I spoke to one manufacturer today who said to expect a minimum of 2 price increases by 2022. 

A lot of people are talking about how they wish could do Sunday Ticket a la carte.  As much as I would like that. It will end up being way more expensive. They'll come in low. Get everybody transacting, then one day we will wake up and all Bills games are $50 a pop just to watch on my own couch. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right? Even right now, everybody, I mean everybody, is raising pricing just because of the chip shortage. I spoke to one manufacturer today who said to expect a minimum of 2 price increases by 2022. 

A lot of people are talking about how they wish could do Sunday Ticket a la carte.  As much as I would like that. It will end up being way more expensive. They'll come in low. Get everybody transacting, then one day we will wake up and all Bills games are $50 a pop just to watch on my own couch. 

For me this is as much about getting rid of DTV as anything else.

We literally never watch it. We aren’t  TV watchers in general and when we do it’s streaming/.bingeing.

I think you are probably right about whoever gets it jacking it up but ….. free market economics.

I’m at the point in life where I can afford it whichever way it goes.

57 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

You can stream on a device that allows streaming, but you must have a subscription to DTV and then use the NFL DTV App. 

Get the DTV app on your phone/ipad and stream when DTV is cloud covered.

I guess I lived at an address that was exempt from DTV, so I was able to get Sunday Ticket without a DTV subscription... Found a better option anyway :)

15 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I've said it before, whomever gets it should redo the pricing to this 4 tier structure....

Your teams games

Your teams division

Your teams conference

All games 

This is a great idea.

They also need to scrap the black out BS. If you are paying for all the games you should get ALL the games.

The traditional cable model is only a generation away from being obsolete so assuming people can just watch MNF on ESPN or catch whatever is on their local channels is going to be a poor assumption soon. The entire idea of paying to watch all of the games for a lot of young people going forward will be that they don't have traditional means to watch the normal broadcasts. The NFL needs to get ahead of that.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I've said it before, whomever gets it should redo the pricing to this 4 tier structure....

Your teams games

Your teams division

Your teams conference

All games 

The whole "you get all the games" thing is way over played...you get two time slots to watch games.  Sure there are times you may switch back and forth, there is also redzone for that.  People pay for "You teams games" and generates >90% of the demand.   The cost to the consumer will go up with whoever gets it next.   There may be different options but they will all be more expensive options.

6 hours ago, Metal Man said:

This is a great idea.

They also need to scrap the black out BS. If you are paying for all the games you should get ALL the games.

The traditional cable model is only a generation away from being obsolete so assuming people can just watch MNF on ESPN or catch whatever is on their local channels is going to be a poor assumption soon. The entire idea of paying to watch all of the games for a lot of young people going forward will be that they don't have traditional means to watch the normal broadcasts. The NFL needs to get ahead of that.

i don’t understand why they can’t make an exception for Sunday ticket. No blackouts if you buy Sunday ticket. 

Last year I was near Yellowstone for the Bills/Rams game. I fired up my iPad to watch on Sunday ticket and it was blacked out— because apparently they show Bills games in Wyoming due to Josh Allen. I had no local TV access, so had to scramble to get a free trial of gamepass, avoid media, and watch the game after it was played. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

The second I can get Sunday ticket through a streaming service (apple, Amazon, Netflix whatever) I'll cancel my dtv service. I hate them and would so much rather just have YouTube TV. 

You can stream it using the college ST deal.

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

You can stream it using the college ST deal.

You can always go back to college to get the ST option, then go broke repaying your student loans!   :)

College expenses are an absolute $%&^ show! AND, you do almost all of it on your laptop. Our son is dreading the in person requirement for his MBA which should be complete before this year ends. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

You can always go back to college to get the ST option, then go broke repaying your student loans!   :)

College expenses are an absolute $%&^ show! AND, you do almost all of it on your laptop. Our son is dreading the in person requirement for his MBA which should be complete before this year ends. 

Agree with everything but needing to go back to college to get the ST option.  You can use anyone's.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, That's No Moon said:

Wouldn't be thrilled about this, mostly because I don't care for Apple.  You can watch Apple TV on some non-Apple devices, some smart TVs, Roku, Firestick, etc.  However they obviously don't play nicely with Android at all so that's a potential issue down the line. You can watch Apple+ through a browser on your PC or on an Android device for now, but that doesn't need to continue if they don't want it to.

It makes a lot of sense for Apple though. They have the capital and they need some sort of content to drive their subscriber base. Ted Lasso is a nice show and all but it's not enough to make me want to sign up for yet another streaming service. 

The only show I liked on Apple+ was Servant. Maybe I'll check out Ted Lasso now too.

If it was cheaper than DirecTV, and there wasn't huge streaming quality issues (which sometimes I face on DirecTV), I'd be all for it. 

Direct TV pays 1.5 billion dollars per year for exclusive rights. There's no money to be made with Sunday Ticket as a stand-alone product, unless you're the NFL. 

If the 2 million subscriber number is correct (of ST subscribers) then Direct TV barely covers half its fee each year, maybe less. 

The fact that Direct TV created all kinds of barriers to anyone just wanting to buy Sunday Ticket tells you that the economics don't work, and it has been reported that they lose millions on it every year.

Every step of the way, they fought and/or dragged their feet when any push was made to make it more widely available to people who could not install a  satellite dish where they lived, especially large high-rise type apartments where you just couldn't feasibly put dishes. Instead of happily taking money from huge numbers of people in major cities who had no way of subscribing to Direct TV but who did want the Sunday Ticket, they first tried everything to get dishes on those buildings, then slow rolled the implementation of a non-subscriber option, which they advertise now (but with the *). When you read the fine print or try to sign up for just streaming Sunday Ticket, many times your address isn't "eligible" and they switch to getting you signed up for the dish first. 

In the end, it's all just a giant commercial for Direct TV, which is why you used to be able to get crazy discounts on it. They knew they would get you on the TV package you had to also buy. 

If Apple ends up with it, expect the same. You'll need to buy something else first in order to then buy the ticket. There simply aren't enough subscriber dollars coming in to offset the enormous fee, let alone make a profit of just that product. 

When you start 1.5 billion in the red each year on a product, that's a lot of ground to make up just to break even. the NFL isn't known to go for reductions in rights fees, especially after they just got giant increases in the middle of a pandemic. 

If you're a new provider looking to get into Sunday ticket expect to pay more than 1.5 billion per year. How do you make that $$ back? 

Edited by TheFunPolice

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Direct TV pays 1.5 billion dollars per year for exclusive rights. There's no money to be made with Sunday Ticket as a stand-alone product, unless you're the NFL. 

If the 2 million subscriber number is correct (of ST subscribers) then Direct TV barely covers half its fee each year, maybe less. 

The fact that Direct TV created all kinds of barriers to anyone just wanting to buy Sunday Ticket tells you that the economics don't work, and it has been reported that they lose millions on it every year.

Every step of the way, they fought and/or dragged their feet when any push was made to make it more widely available to people who could not install a  satellite dish where they lived, especially large high-rise type apartments where you just couldn't feasibly put dishes. Instead of happily taking money from huge numbers of people in major cities who had no way of subscribing to Direct TV but who did want the Sunday Ticket, they first tried everything to get dishes on those buildings, then slow rolled the implementation of a non-subscriber option, which they advertise now (but with the *). When you read the fine print or try to sign up for just streaming Sunday Ticket, many times your address isn't "eligible" and they switch to getting you signed up for the dish first. 

In the end, it's all just a giant commercial for Direct TV, which is why you used to be able to get crazy discounts on it. They knew they would get you on the TV package you had to also buy. 

If Apple ends up with it, expect the same. You'll need to buy something else first in order to then buy the ticket. There simply aren't enough subscriber dollars coming in to offset the enormous fee, let alone make a profit of just that product. 

When you start 1.5 billion in the red each year on a product, that's a lot of ground to make up just to break even. the NFL isn't known to go for reductions in rights fees, especially after they just got giant increases in the middle of a pandemic. 

If you're a new provider looking to get into Sunday ticket expect to pay more than 1.5 billion per year. How do you make that $$ back? 

That's a great point.  I'm familiar with the inner workings at AT&T and it seems to me that there's not a lot of stomach for pouring money into a losing scheme any more.   DTV is bleeding subscribers, and while I think the DTV streaming only offer is a pretty good option for people who want packages of channels, there just isn't enough back end on it to continue to subsidize the NFL in the hope that you'll add enough subs to make up for it.  Either Apple or Amazon are going to way overpay for the sunday games, which means all of us will be expected to overpay as well, or that those business will subsidize the NFL.  Apple is the one ecosystem in which i'm not really participating, and not terribly eager to enter in to.  Not to mention that my big sports TV is out of HDMI ports lol.

At some point, each of us has a number in mind above which we're going to find alternate ways of viewing the games, or just find something else to do.  For me, i think approaching $50 a game makes me lose interest, or at a minimum find alternatives.  In any case, it'll be interesting.  The NFL has managed to defy gravity against most other forms of televised sports, the next few years will be something to watch