Apple might get Sunday Ticket

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But I don't think it's making much of any money for AT&T so can't see them bidding very high for it.  They may bid, but at a lower price.  The one thing that could change would be if AT&T bids it also as a stand alone package, no need at all for DTV (and yes in theory can do that today, but only if you have an address that can't get a signal).  But that wouldn't help DTV at all then.   The one big difference this time is this is the first negotiation between the NFL and AT&T, prior was always with DTV and they seem to be more hard line and may not care much about DTV.  Believe recently they even just spun it off?

I do wonder if the NFL wants to get into another situation where you need a certain package to view it, i.e. Apple TV, U-Tube, AT&T or would they rather give it to someone like an ESPN or Fox Sports and then up to whatever providers wish to carry it.   Or a Yahoo or Prime where no additional packages required.  I 'd think if they wish to stop all the illegal viewing sites may be best to go that way as people would be more willing to pay an amount of money strictly for ST and not 100 other channels they don't wish to view.

I do agree 100% with your statement in bold, but I'll take the other side as would be shocked if it's back on DTV

It already is a stand alone and you don't need DTV to buy Sunday Ticket. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I refused to pay Directv / AT&T their absurd fees last year for Sunday ticket. They looked to face you into a bundled deal with their cable where I now live. I assume it will be the same for this season. I just paid for game pass and tried to not see the score until after I was able to see the game delayed.

i don’t get the DTV strategy. I called last year and got Sunday Ticket for free. This was even after they knocked my monthly fee (after all taxes and fees and equipment charges) down to $50 per month.  

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

It's only a stand alone IF you can't get DTV due to reception and every address I ever put in stated was not eligible, including a nursing home in Florida and a brand new constructed house that never had DTV at this address.   I think they also have a stand alone for college students.

Unless something has changed for this coming season, no you can't easily get ST without DTV

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

I hope you realize what a completely unhelpful addition that was to this thread.  I mean, what was the point?  The circumstances by which one can obtain ST without a DTV subscription apply to perhaps 0.5% of the US population.

Edit:  I’m being told I am incorrect and DTV is not required. My bad and sorry for the post.

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

I hope you realize what a completely unhelpful addition that was to this thread.  I mean, what was the point?  The circumstances by which one can obtain ST without a DTV subscription apply to perhaps 0.5% of the US population.

I think it’s changed because DTV was losing so much money..  I clicked on the eligibility for Sunday Ticket without a DTV subscription and I was eligible.  It’s usually for people who can’t get satellite service because of the HOA rules but they said I could do it.  

2 minutes ago, eball said:

What are you talking about? You can get just ST on Amazon Fire stick, Android TV, google Play and Apple iTunes. 

You can even get it just through their website and watch it on your computer browser. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it’s changed because DTV was losing so much money..  I clicked on the eligibility for Sunday Ticket without a DTV subscription and I was eligible.  It’s usually for people who can’t get satellite service because of the HOA rules but they said I could do it.  

Interesting.  If so I stand corrected.  Going to check that out right now because I really want to get rid of DTV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Interesting.  If so I stand corrected.  Going to check that out right now because I really want to get rid of DTV.

Its a little more expensive I think.  Like $400?

https://nflsthelp.directv.com/hc/en-us/articles/204503399-How-do-I-find-out-if-I-am-eligible-to-purchase-NFLSUNDAYTICKET-TV-

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 minute ago, eball said:

It's been that way for at least the past two seasons. But it sounds like you're referring to the old policy. 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ve taken a LOT of real estate classes in Florida and Georgia and the laws say (or did at the time) that HOA’s are not allowed to prohibit dishes. A landlord may be able to (you can’t alter their property), and the HOA may TELL you you can’t have one, but it would not hold up if challenged. Pretty sure that’s still true. FYI for what it’s worth. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve taken a LOT of real estate classes in Florida and Georgia and the laws say (or did at the time) that HOA’s are not allowed to prohibit dishes. A landlord may be able to (you can’t alter their property), and the HOA may TELL you you can’t have one, but it would not hold up if challenged. Pretty sure that’s still true. FYI for what it’s worth. 

For what it’s worth is a great song.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Weird.  Go to that page and read the fine print at the bottom.

What should I be looking for?

• Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

What should I be looking for?

It says everything I thought was still in effect — only available to those who can’t get DTV, or college students.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I refused to pay Directv / AT&T their absurd fees last year for Sunday ticket. They looked to face you into a bundled deal with their cable where I now live. I assume it will be the same for this season. I just paid for game pass and tried to not see the score until after I was able to see the game delayed.

I get enough discounts every year that it's free 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

1 hour ago, eball said:

It says everything I thought was still in effect — only available to those who can’t get DTV, or college students.

I stand corrected. I guess I just happened to be elligible and didn't realize they were that stupid... So if you have a college email address they'll give it to you for $100 no matter where you live. But if you don't, and your address isn't eligible, they won't take your $400? 

There's no way that Apple will be that dumb...

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I stand corrected. I guess I just happened to be elligible and didn't realize they were that stupid... So if you have a college email address they'll give it to you for $100 no matter where you live. But if you don't, and your address isn't eligible, they won't take your $400? 

There's no way that Apple will be that dumb...

No worries.  I was still snarky with my post so I’m sorry.  Anyway, I need to find a college kid.

• Thank you (+1) 1