Apple might get Sunday Ticket

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiOmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJldXRlcnMuY29tL2FydGljbGUvdXMtYXBwbGUtbmZsLWlkVVNLQ04yRUYxV0TSATRodHRwczovL21vYmlsZS5yZXV0ZXJzLmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlL2FtcC9pZFVTS0NOMkVGMVdE?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

This seems like a pretty big and good deal for those of us stuck with DTV.

The ability to stream games on a dedicated site would be a godsend for many NFL fans and seems like such a no brainer. 
   I would like to see the ability to stream individual games as opposed to signing up for a whole season.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiOmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJldXRlcnMuY29tL2FydGljbGUvdXMtYXBwbGUtbmZsLWlkVVNLQ04yRUYxV0TSATRodHRwczovL21vYmlsZS5yZXV0ZXJzLmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlL2FtcC9pZFVTS0NOMkVGMVdE?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

This seems like a pretty big and good deal for those of us stuck with DTV.

The ability to stream games on a dedicated site would be a godsend for many NFL fans and seems like such a no brainer. 
   I would like to see the ability to stream individual games as opposed to signing up for a whole season.

I’d like to see team specific packages as I’m only interested in the Bills. Everyone else is background noise. 

btw, this topic has been addressed in the ‘ ..easiest and cheapest way to watch Bills games on tv’ thread. All speculation currently as DTV has the rights through the ‘22 season.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm not an Apple guy.  I use all Android devices and I'm a Directv subscriber.  I think this would be bad for me.  At least with Directv, you can negotiate a good price (or even free) most years - with a little work.  Once it goes to Apple or another streaming service, those negotations and discounts are likely over.  The upshot is that I am no longer tied to Directv for my primary television service....If it goes to a streaming service, I would perfer Amazon Prime, which I already subscribe to.  I could also live with Disney/ESPN+.  Although I don't currently subscribe, they do have enough content that my family and I are interested in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’d like to see team specific packages as I’m only interested in the Bills. Everyone else is background noise. 

btw, this topic has been addressed in the ‘ ..easiest and cheapest way to watch Bills games on tv’ thread. All speculation currently as DTV has the rights through the ‘22 season.

The best of the other games is probably already available on cable. I’d probably keep the whole package because we are not very thrifty and my wife LOVES her work, so it would be a shame to see her ever retire. :)   BUT, that would be an attractive option for MANY people! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sorry Chandler, didn’t see it.

19 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm not an Apple guy.  I use all Android devices and I'm a Directv subscriber.  I think this would be bad for me.  At least with Directv, you can negotiate a good price (or even free) most years - with a little work.  Once it goes to Apple or another streaming service, those negotations and discounts are likely over.  The upshot is that I am no longer tied to Directv for my primary television service....If it goes to a streaming service, I would perfer Amazon Prime, which I already subscribe to.  I could also live with Disney/ESPN+.  Although I don't currently subscribe, they do have enough content that my family and I are interested in.

The ONLY reason I still have DTV is the Sunday Ticket. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The ONLY reason I still have DTV is the Sunday Ticket. 

The same with me, until the VERY rare occurrence that cable goes out for a while. Then I convince myself that having some redundancy of service is worthwhile.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

The same with me, until the VERY rare occurrence that cable goes out for a while. Then I convince myself that having some redundancy of service is worthwhile.  

I live in a rural area with DSL the only other thing coming in my house through the phone line…..which is the only reason we have a land line phone.

Someday, when we retire we will live somewhere with modern conveniences.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I live in a rural area with DSL the only other thing coming in my house through the phone line…..which is the only reason we have a land line phone.

Someday, when we retire we will live somewhere with modern conveniences.

Maybe internet will still be around 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

If it's like MLB, you save about $30 for a team specific package compared to the entire thing.  It's priced so hardly worth it.

36 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

An article like this has popped up every year for the last 20 years.  I don’t think DTV is going to be giving up Sunday ticket. 

Yeah but this time pretty sure it's different.  The last time ST package was renewed was about a year prior to AT&T buying DTV.  Ever since DTV has got much tighter with discounts, giving away ST, etc. as AT&T told them you can't keep losing money.   Read articles in past few months stating AT&T isn't even all that interested in it anymore.  They are more pushing their own streaming packages themselves.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I went with my wife tonight to meet our son at a nice place to have drinks and a couple appetizers. Nice place where it’s usually on expense reports, but we like it. A couple drinks each, a couple appetizers, tip and valet ran almost half of Sunday ticket for a year, I’m guessing. 

I’m not one for wasting money, but a LOT of people spend more at Starbucks than they would seeing Bills games. Some methods are more affordable than others, but it’s good that almost all of us can find a way. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I went with my wife tonight to meet our son at a nice place to have drinks and a couple appetizers. Nice place where it’s usually on expense reports, but we like it. A couple drinks each, a couple appetizers, tip and valet ran almost half of Sunday ticket for a year, I’m guessing. 

I’m not one for wasting money, but a LOT of people spend more at Starbucks than they would seeing Bills games. Some methods are more affordable than others, but it’s good that almost all of us can find a way. 

It’s not the expense. I just don’t use DTV for anything.

Everything is Netflix or Hulu or Prime or Vudu. Paying for something I don’t use rubs the “ Cheap Pollock” in me the wrong way.

I’ve been looking forward to canceling DTV and I believe when this contract is up the Ticket moves elsewhere. As I type this on my iPhone Apple sounds good to me.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

It’s not the expense. I just don’t use DTV for anything.

Everything is Netflix or Hulu or Prime or Vudu. Paying for something I don’t use rubs the “ Cheap Pollock” in me the wrong way.

I’ve been looking forward to canceling DTV and I believe when this contract is up the Ticket moves elsewhere. As I type this on my iPhone Apple sounds good to me.

I get it, but as previously mentioned, I use DTV almost exclusively for Bills games and when cable goes out. That is indeed rare, and I certainly pay too much for TV, if you ask my wife. What can I tell you?   🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Would love another/different option for ST.  Have had DTV since 2004 and only keep it for the ticket.  Would love to explore cord cutting options for TV instead of DTV.

Usually get ST for free or a nominal charge.  Would pay 100 bucks for the season for just the RZ channel.  Actually had RZ free last year, but it had Scott Hanson from NFLN not Andrew Siciliano.  Siciliano makes RZ what it is.  

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah but this time pretty sure it's different.  The last time ST package was renewed was about a year prior to AT&T buying DTV.  Ever since DTV has got much tighter with discounts, giving away ST, etc. as AT&T told them you can't keep losing money.   Read articles in past few months stating AT&T isn't even all that interested in it anymore.  They are more pushing their own streaming packages themselves.

I hear what you are saying. But these articles always pop up around negotiating time and I believe they are more about generating some leverage for both sides. 

I think the NFL probably benefits from the longevity of a very profitable partnership with DTV. And it seems like this is the one major asset that DTV brings to the table for AT&T, despite the bellyaching by AT&T. 

I have read articles throughout the years (mostly around negotiating time) about ESPN+, Disney, Amazon, Yahoo, dish network, some random streaming sports entity, and now Apple all interested in buying it. Maybe it will be true one day. But I guess I will believe it when I see it. 

Wouldn't be thrilled about this, mostly because I don't care for Apple.  You can watch Apple TV on some non-Apple devices, some smart TVs, Roku, Firestick, etc.  However they obviously don't play nicely with Android at all so that's a potential issue down the line. You can watch Apple+ through a browser on your PC or on an Android device for now, but that doesn't need to continue if they don't want it to.

It makes a lot of sense for Apple though. They have the capital and they need some sort of content to drive their subscriber base. Ted Lasso is a nice show and all but it's not enough to make me want to sign up for yet another streaming service.