Interesting analysis of Josh Allen 2020 season

On 7/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, HardyBoy said:

Haven't watched yet, but I will die on the hill that JAs 2019 season was significantly better than people realize and the lack of deep ball accuracy in 2019 is a super flawed stat due to the number of games in 25+ mph winds they played in at the end of the season.

Watched it, well said! The thing that has me most excited is that JA might have overachieved last year and was a bit lucky in a way (assuming his size and arm strength don't contribute to his luck).

His pff stable stats were lower than his final output. His stable stats also improved both from his floor in 2018, and from year two, in year three (like historically so). Compared to his ceiling there is a legit chance he has the same % improvement this year as last year, if not higher.

As the guy said, JAs biggest asset is his brain, and he's far from his ceiling there and he's already crushing it with the mental game already. Imagine when he is viewed as Brady or Manning in terms of you can't blitz him because he can find the weak spot for a positive play every time. What is going to really set him in that level is not only will he be waiting on the blitz, but him and Diggs have been baiting your corner the last three quarters and the last three games of tape waiting for a specific moment to burn you with a double move. A more that they have been diabolically and lethally devising because, the thing that drives it all: cut throat competitive.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, Big Blitz said:

He goes thru the eye popping stats around the 9 min mark.  The highlights to me:

6th in attempts
69% completion 
4th in yards passing 
4th in air yards (yards per attempt)
Allen had the 9th most drops
He was the 4th most pressured QB 

He was the most blitzed QB in the league.  #2 was Wilson 39 times less then Allen.  

"POOR PASSES" (bad throws)
Allen:  88  in comparison:
Brady 122
Mahomes 100 

He also highlights his "clutch" plays and his playoff numbers.  

Everyone knows we need to be able to run the ball more effectively and this is why.  We are going to see more and more 4 or only 3 man rushes and only 5 or 6 guys in the box until we put that fear into Defenses to respect the run.

I liked it well enough. Thanks for posting it.

Worth pointing out that drops aren't all on the receivers, though they deserve the blame on plenty of those plays. Allen got better at using touch this year, quite a bit, but he still occasionally puts too much on it even in shorter throws. He's getting better, no question, but some of that is on him. 

Also worth noting that drops are really subjective.

While some might have them as 9th worst, some others are quite different.

Stats Inc. has them at 18 drops, 15th best in the league, ever so slightly better than average.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

There was also this positive analysis of Allen from a Patriots fan that pre-dated the start of Allen's 2nd season. I'm still shocked that an opposing fan was able to see through the weeds and predict Allen would be the next great QB in the NFL after all the so called experts panned Allen's rookie season. I guess now we just have to wait for a Jets fan to make a video. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There was also this positive analysis of Allen from a Patriots fan that pre-dated the start of Allen's 2nd season. I'm still shocked that an opposing fan was able to see through the weeds and predict Allen would be the next great QB in the NFL after all the so called experts panned Allen's rookie season. I guess now we just have to wait for a Jets fan to make a video. 

I feel like Zach Wilson has it in him to be great as long as the Jets dont mess it up