Interesting analysis of Josh Allen 2020 season

He goes thru the eye popping stats around the 9 min mark.  The highlights to me:

6th in attempts
69% completion 
4th in yards passing 
4th in air yards (yards per attempt)
Allen had the 9th most drops
He was the 4th most pressured QB 

He was the most blitzed QB in the league.  #2 was Wilson 39 times less then Allen.  

"POOR PASSES" (bad throws)
Allen:  88  in comparison:
Brady 122
Mahomes 100 

He also highlights his "clutch" plays and his playoff numbers.  

Everyone knows we need to be able to run the ball more effectively and this is why.  We are going to see more and more 4 or only 3 man rushes and only 5 or 6 guys in the box until we put that fear into Defenses to respect the run.

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

The accuracy issue was always BS with Josh.  I went to all the Wyoming games when josh played here.  IMO, Wyo's offensive play calling was terrible.  Receiver routes were weak with very little separation.  The offensive line was was just not good.  Josh's amazing arm and legs bailed the team out multiple broken plays. 

His first 2 years in Buffalo were no different than at Wyo.  A poor receiving core and bad offensive line.  Now those days are in the rear view mirror.

Buffalo was a perfect fit.  GO POKES / GO BILLS!!!!

This season is very impotant for his development, now its mostly going to come down to mental development> decision making, timing, audibles, a big thing for me will be his decision making/timing when to use his legs because teams will blanket our wrs and dare us to run and he will have to break teams playing this way with his legs(i thought he should have ran a lot more early on and throughout the afc champ game when they were doubling everyone).  This will be even more true if we don't get the expected improvement in the run game like we all hope with a continuous starting five on the line.

WIth his physical tools the sky is really the limit but the only way to maximize physical potential is by continual and constant pushing/learning the mental parts of the game.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Haven't watched yet, but I will die on the hill that JAs 2019 season was significantly better than people realize and the lack of deep ball accuracy in 2019 is a super flawed stat due to the number of games in 25+ mph winds they played in at the end of the season.

I want to say Allen was like 0 or 1  for 20 or worse on deep balls (25+ yards) to start the 2019 season. If I am remembering correctly it wasn't just a late season issue due to wind. 

That said, Allen's 2019 season was solid IMO. Drives me crazy when I hear the talking heads say "he sucked the first two years". 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

When you hit on that QB......everything just seems to fall into place.

A franchise QB seems to make a bad OL look like a mediocre OL.

The Bills OL went from bad to mediocre last year, didn't it?

6 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

This season is very impotant for his development, now its mostly going to come down to mental development> decision making, timing, audibles, a big thing for me will be his decision making/timing when to use his legs because teams will blanket our wrs and dare us to run and he will have to break teams playing this way with his legs

That scramble in the Denver game, you could see it coming. The Broncos secondary was running man and showing Allen their backs and it was "he's gonna take off and they won't know till it's too late..."

11 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Haven't watched yet, but I will die on the hill that JAs 2019 season was significantly better than people realize and the lack of deep ball accuracy in 2019 is a super flawed stat due to the number of games in 25+ mph winds they played in at the end of the season.

HB, I’ve long felt the same in the 59% was only one data point, and just looked much better.  It’s funny pre injury the exact opposite opinion was held of Cam with a 59% for 10 freakin years.  He was lauded forever and Allen was slammed.  I had a buddy saying to me, but Cam had all of those rushing yards.  My reply and this was after 2019, I’m year and did you not know Allen ran for 1100 yards in his first two years.  He didn’t know that point, so I just told him the difference is Allen will keep getting better and be a generational QB.  I’ve been rubbing it in on him for that last 6 months.

He acted surprised and I’ve just reassured him this is just the beginning.

As far as rushing, I think Allen and Daboll had it right last year.  Before his leg injury, Alex Smith avg. almost 500 yards a year in rushing and was good at it.  Like Allen, Alex never received the credit for his accuracy and ability to know when to throw it away, or take what he can scrambling.  He was always titled a game manager when really all solid QB’s are game managers (Brady, P. Manning).  The difference is Allen is so dynamic much better than A Smith, and is going to continue to grow with each year.

Greg Cosell had it right in his generational talent.  Barring injuries he will be known as one of the best QB’s of this era.   This year will cement it with another mvp performance.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

He does a great job. And his big point is, everyone (that is, the national media) needs to start recognizing that Josh Allen is a generational talent. And his point about Allen's character and mental acumen not being valued enough is spot on.

Yes, this year will either validate Josh or bring back the questions, but I see progression and validation this season because of his character, work ethic, and intelligence, on top of all the obvious physical abilities.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There were some things he did not cover - offseason workouts to get synchrony going and how he would take on defense linemen one-on-one - but it was an excellent off-the-cuff review.   

Man among boys.

58A537B8-6FCD-4F88-B724-078893601758.jpeg

00B267F8-D4D5-45A8-BB16-DD4A9E6E2F80.jpeg

2774056F-4617-4A46-9FD4-619F7ECD4FE1.jpeg

BC379E42-A0EF-4C14-A615-42791C2F8789.jpeg

54CACD8A-740F-48D0-9123-DF203EEB2AAA.jpeg

4E23B2A7-AD98-4745-A13A-298A57273C54.jpeg

BB33DFE3-5C7C-4273-B0E2-1FBBA2DA4127.jpeg

F04532D7-7DC9-4F11-A043-A7E6E4670A59.jpeg

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I didn’t know what to make of this when it started but I’m glad I watched the whole way through.  The fact this guy is a Fish fan really adds credibility to the message.  I love how he referred to the 2021 season as a “certification” year.  This will be the year Josh is Grade A Certified as an NFL superstar.

• Like (+1) 2

Oddest thing is how he rambles on unprepared.  He does not have notes on some things he talks about as if some of them he just realized while he was doing the recording.  Most of these shows are scripted even when the presenter is very animated.

It reminds me of a conversation I had in college with a football fan on Jim Kelly.  We were watching some highlights in dorm lounge and even after clip he was still going on regarding Jim Kelly.  I asked if he was a University of Miami fan and he said no.  I asked if he was a USFL fan and he said no but he watched a few games of his when he played for Houston.  I knew from way he talked about Bills clip that he was not a Bills fan so I asked him what team he was fan of and he said Miami.  He told me that although the Dolphins had Dan Marino that he is not a complete QB and when he is watching Bills-Dolphins game he sometimes cheers for Kelly.   I asked if he ever went to a Bills Dolphin game at Rich Stadium and he said no for he would probably get in a fight and not sure if it would be with Bills fans or Dolphin fans.  He did seem to know the Dolphins defense players when a Miami clip was on.

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Man among boys.

58A537B8-6FCD-4F88-B724-078893601758.jpeg

00B267F8-D4D5-45A8-BB16-DD4A9E6E2F80.jpeg

2774056F-4617-4A46-9FD4-619F7ECD4FE1.jpeg

BC379E42-A0EF-4C14-A615-42791C2F8789.jpeg

54CACD8A-740F-48D0-9123-DF203EEB2AAA.jpeg

4E23B2A7-AD98-4745-A13A-298A57273C54.jpeg

BB33DFE3-5C7C-4273-B0E2-1FBBA2DA4127.jpeg

F04532D7-7DC9-4F11-A043-A7E6E4670A59.jpeg

How many times did our guy just stuff a D guy and get really good yards and or a TD, it was so great to watch this happen, by the end this up coming season teams won’t know what to do to stop the JA17 machine. 

47 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The Kid is an Animal!

Aren’t we all! 

He’s just a far better version! 

My animal tendencies are far less enjoyable for those around me. 

• Haha (+1) 1