Allen working with Jordan Palmer on in-breaking routes

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That first statement is a bit lacking and selective by Dan Orlovsky.   I agree with 2nd statement although it is a bit of hyperbole. 

If you are going to count the TDs he ran then you need to count the fumbles unless you wear a cheerleading 📣 skirt.

Passes go with interceptions as do runs with fumbles.  

It appears Orlovsky should be working in legal or marketing where facts presented are selective.  :rolleyes:  There are a few posters who should apply to be interns.

QBs are not just passers - it is why they are called QuarterBACKS. 

I however do not consider it part of the job when QBs can catch balls and stiff arm defensive linemen, just a bonus

Some with fish on the brain will discount other parts of QBs jobs including running which forces defenses to account for QB in 11 vs 11 but I don't.  The era of Dan Marino and Drew Bledsoe is gone.

He started all 32 regular games in last 2 years

There were:

• 57 touchdowns thrown (20 in 2019, 37 in 2020).
  • 19 interceptions (interception rate went down 2nd year to 1.7%. Less hero ball).
  • 23 fumbles with 4 fumbles recovered in 2019 and only in 2020.
  • 17 rushing TDs.

While performance of some referees make me throw up 🤮 unless NFL sends apology letter and statistics are changed officially recorded stats are what count.

Sometimes teams need to accept that there are more than 11 men (or occasionally a woman) on the field against you and play accordingly.  My preference is manipulating opponents to hit zebras.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

"In breaking" route ?

I think you mean a post or a slant.

Glad I could help

No - In-Breaking routes.  It could be a slant, it could be a post, or it can be any number of other routes like a 10 yard square in.  

Basically he is working more on the middle of the field nearer the hashes.  His arm strength has allowed him to already throw the long out breaking routes to the sideline, but he was more hesitant and had more issues on the routes toward the middle as there can be more defenders in the area.

He seems to be working on footing and how to take a bit off the throws to help his guys.  

I really look forward to seeing how this translates to our TEs as many of these routes are also traditional TE routes that Josh has not used much of in the past.  He liked hitting Knox or Kroft (and even Lee Smith) on routes closer to the numbers or outside and rarely on skinny posts or in cuts.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

That first statement is a bit lacking and selective by Dan Orlovsky.   I agree with 2nd statement although it is a bit of hyperbole. 

If you are going to count the TDs he ran then you need to count the fumbles unless you wear a cheerleading 📣 skirt.

Passes go with interceptions as do runs with fumbles.  

It appears Orlovsky should be working in legal or marketing where facts presented are selective.  :rolleyes:  There are a few posters who should apply to be interns.

QBs are not just passers - it is why they are called QuarterBACKS. 

I however do not consider it part of the job when QBs can catch balls and stiff arm defensive linemen, just a bonus

Some with fish on the brain will discount other parts of QBs jobs including running which forces defenses to account for QB in 11 vs 11 but I don't.  The era of Dan Marino and Drew Bledsoe is gone.

He started all 32 regular games in last 2 years

There were:

• 57 touchdowns thrown (20 in 2019, 37 in 2020).
  • 19 interceptions (interception rate went down 2nd year to 1.7%. Less hero ball).
  • 23 fumbles with 4 fumbles recovered in 2019 and only in 2020.
  • 17 rushing TDs.

While performance of some referees make me throw up 🤮 unless NFL sends apology letter and statistics are changed officially recorded stats are what count.

Sometimes teams need to accept that there are more than 11 men (or occasionally a woman) on the field against you and play accordingly.  My preference is manipulating opponents to hit zebras.

He had (I'm going with) 8 fumbles lost over the past (I'm going with) 32 games.  Taken with the TDs and INTs, that's still a 3.8:1 TD:TO ratio.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:
presed

In 2018 Dan Orlovsky was one of the guys who thought Josh had too many flaws including being inaccurate and he didn't think he was much of a prospect. He came on WGR a number of times & expressed his skepticism of Josh. As Josh improved he changed his mind.  Same thing with Chris Trapasso who also had a low opinion of Josh in 2018 & now raves about how good he is.  

Orlovsky in 2018 on Josh:  When the ball is snapped it's almost like, I don't know what's going on … It seems like he doesn't have a plan and a process, and to get to the NFL level and to not be able to do the little things—if you can't do the little things, you can't do the big things. The little things are your plan and your process. The big things are executing against what happens. And so it just seems like he doesn't have that as part of his DNA, as part of his quarterbacking. And that for me I go, Well, what does it matter how big he is, how athletic he is, if you could throw it to the moon, the field’s a hundred yards. To not be able to adjust or react to a Will linebacker blitzing is alarming to me. Alarming.

“And then the second thing—I saw this at the combine, and it made me go watch all his tape again. But when he was throwing at the combine, he was staring at his receivers. And I was like, well, that’s a bad habit, and it’s a habit you can create just trying to be better at accuracy. So, I watched all his tape, and that showed up on tape a bunch where he would just stare at receivers when he catches the snap … And so for me those are things that are really hard to change. You got to change years and years of having those bad habits.”

Chris Trapasso

@ChrisTrapasso

Because QB prospects are apparently the talk of today. A reminder of my current rankings: Mason Rudolph [small space] Lamar Jackson [one prospect] Josh Rosen [small space] Sam Darnold [sizable space] Baker Mayfield [two rounds] Josh Allen

2:33 PM · Feb 19, 2018·Twitter for iPhone

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

In 2018 Dan Orlovsky was one of the guys who thought Josh had too many flaws including being inaccurate and he didn't think he was much of a prospect. He came on WGR a number of times & expressed his skepticism of Josh. As Josh improved he changed his mind.  Same thing with Chris Trapasso who also had a low opinion of Josh in 2018 & now raves about how good he is.  

Orlovsky in 2018 on Josh:  When the ball is snapped it's almost like, I don't know what's going on … It seems like he doesn't have a plan and a process, and to get to the NFL level and to not be able to do the little things—if you can't do the little things, you can't do the big things. The little things are your plan and your process. The big things are executing against what happens. And so it just seems like he doesn't have that as part of his DNA, as part of his quarterbacking. And that for me I go, Well, what does it matter how big he is, how athletic he is, if you could throw it to the moon, the field’s a hundred yards. To not be able to adjust or react to a Will linebacker blitzing is alarming to me. Alarming.

“And then the second thing—I saw this at the combine, and it made me go watch all his tape again. But when he was throwing at the combine, he was staring at his receivers. And I was like, well, that’s a bad habit, and it’s a habit you can create just trying to be better at accuracy. So, I watched all his tape, and that showed up on tape a bunch where he would just stare at receivers when he catches the snap … And so for me those are things that are really hard to change. You got to change years and years of having those bad habits.”

Chris Trapasso

@ChrisTrapasso

Because QB prospects are apparently the talk of today. A reminder of my current rankings: Mason Rudolph [small space] Lamar Jackson [one prospect] Josh Rosen [small space] Sam Darnold [sizable space] Baker Mayfield [two rounds] Josh Allen

The problem is Orlovsky was not wrong in his assessment, but he totally misjudged how Allen would take to teaching and how absolutely little Allen knew (exactly how raw of a prospect he was).

Everyone could see the huge arm, the size, and even the talent, but you could also see the lack of footwork, his “hero ball” tendencies, eyes staring at receivers, inaccuracy, and the willingness/desire to go for the deep throw over the play the defense is giving you.

What no one could see was just how smart of a prospect he was (Wonderlic score), how hard working and dedicated he would be, how he would listen and learn as a prospect, how he would adapt his game with teaching, and most importantly how good of a leader can he be.  

Those things do not come out until you get them into an NFL program and Josh has shown himself to excel at all of those traits.  Of course he never had a plan because his prior coaches never gave him those tools - Daboll is giving him the answers and it was up to Josh to then recognize the defense and find the answer.  Palmer is working with him on footwork, accuracy, and changing throws (taking some off so they are not all fastballs and adjusting the angles), but Josh has to be willing to listen and practice.  The WRs need to run the correct routes and need to be in the right place and Josh needed to trust them to do their job and even in year 1 that was lacking making him seem more inaccurate.

The biggest thing is leadership - these guys trust and know that Josh gives it his all and they are all willing to give a bit more to battle with him.  That can not be taught that is who you are.

Josh destroyed the analytics guys because they only looked at the raw numbers, Josh became more than the aggregate of his numbers as he has learned.  Josh also passed expectations of many prior QBs and analysts because he has been willing to put in and absorb more knowledge and effort than others.  

He has the ability to take another leap as he adds to the knowledge he has and finds new ways to beat teams.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

On 7/9/2021 at 7:28 AM, HappyDays said:

He has the smoothest release I've ever seen.

That's the thing about Allen, he's a natural thrower of the football. You could see that even in college... and I wish I watched more of him play in college rather than looking at his completion percentage before being so anti Allen in the draft.

But what did get me on board very quickly after the draft--along with his unique personal background and being a die-hard Bills fan who couldn't change the outcome--was actually watching him play in college. He just looks so natural as a passer... unlike someone like EJ Manuel who always looked like such a robot.

• Like (+1) 4

19 hours ago, Putin said:

Yes but you can’t teach accuracy 

Or touch and precision…

5 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Having a QB on the actual team here on this board is going to pay huge dividends during the gameday threads! I'm excited!!!😆

Well I'll have some free time on Sunday afternoons carrying a clipboard around so I may be able to post in the GameDay threads while the game is going on !!

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Chris Trapasso

@ChrisTrapasso

Sorry Dan, it's always tough for me to take you seriously, especially about the little stuff, because not every qb has your moxie and field awareness. 

https://youtu.be/J0OkR986LL4

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, Rochesterfan said:

Josh destroyed the analytics guys because they only looked at the raw numbers, Josh became more than the aggregate of his numbers as he has learned.  Josh also passed expectations of many prior QBs and analysts because he has been willing to put in and absorb more knowledge and effort than others.  

He has the ability to take another leap as he adds to the knowledge he has and finds new ways to beat teams.

I think they also did not realize their previous data sets were not representative for the reasons you mentioned.  Particularly the lack of experience should have caused their models to push out their 95% CI on predictions (specifically on the high end cause they were predicting such low performance).  

1 hour ago, In Summary said:

Now only the screen pass remains to be mastered.

I don't think there's anything Palmer can do to keep the RB's from dropping the ball or falling down (Singleterry against KC & Baltimore in the playoffs) or the O-line getting out and throwing a block (the last 2 seasons).