Kelly-era 1st Playoff Game. Div.Round vs. Houston (Pre K-Gun)

From the ashes of back to back 2 win seasons, a 4 win season & strike shortened 7 win campaign, we BURST onto the scene in ‘88 with a 12 win, Division Title season. Rookie RB T. Thomas added to a burgeoning team of Super talent as the pieces started coming together. (Click on Watch on YouTube)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As good a team as any of the 90-93 teams but only dumb losses to Tampa Bay and Indy down the stretch kept us from home field throughout...and I remain convinced that an AFC championship at Rich would have gone the Bills way, and then who knows????

Ah, the "what ifs."  The beauty, and agony, of sport.

Also, I remember getting tickets for this game at my local Marine Midland bank in Rochester.  Other than the Bills ticket office, I think this was the only other ticket distributor.  Does that sound familiar or is my feeble mind playing tricks again...which is the probable answer.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

As good a team as any of the 90-93 teams but only dumb losses to Tampa Bay and Indy down the stretch kept us from home field throughout...and I remain convinced that an AFC championship at Rich would have gone the Bills way, and then who knows????

That STUPID 10-5 loss to Tampa.........will never forget it.

The Bengals were great that year; even at Rich it would have been tough.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yeah, and then the 49er in the Super Bowl.  Looking back at the history, that's the game Montana bought them back in the last minute w/ the TD to Taylor.  I think it would have been tough to beat them with the Bills still forming their identity.  I'm just looking back at the roster and they had most of the Super Bowl run core, but still very young team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

The Bills would have pounded the Bengals in Buffalo. 

Not only they Tampa and Indy losses that killed us, Freaking Chip Lohmiller from the Redskins missed a chip-shot that would have given the Redskins a win and the Bengals a loss in the last week.

The SB was in Miami that year. The Bills played great football and were comfortable in that stadium. I'm convinced they would have beat the 49ers.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

Not only they Tampa and Indy losses that killed us, Freaking Chip Lohmiller from the Redskins missed a chip-shot that would have given the Redskins a win and the Bengals.

Remember this well also; believe it was a Saturday game.

• Like (+1) 1

It was on New Years Day. Went to a New Years party and left at 1 AM  to get up for the tailgating. The guys next to us in the stands were Canadians and had gone to the Tux and Pucks the night before.Still had on their tuxes.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

From the ashes of back to back 2 win seasons, a 4 win season & strike shortened 7 win campaign, we BURST onto the scene in ‘88 with a 12 win, Division Title season. Rookie RB T. Thomas added to a burgeoning team of Super talent as the pieces started coming together. (Click on Watch on YouTube)

First I love how you post these and your season recaps.  Second I was just watching this game last night after a couple or more drinks.  Just love this stuff, brings me back to my childhood in a way only late 80s football can.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good game...

But I really didn´t like the Offensive Game Plan. Why Thurman only saw like 7 carries before the 2 minutes warning?! He was a beast every time he touched the ball. He had a horrible drop that should have been a TD, but other than that he was great. 

Bennett was our MVP that game... he played great!

Special teams also played a very important part of that victory, with Tasker sealing the victory with that tackle, going for the ball. 

58 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

I was there... upper deck... what a day!

I could only be there in spirit as I was on a construction project, living in Granbury, TX.  @CowgirlsFan This was only the 3rd game I saw all year, being in Cowboy/Oiler country. The others were MNF @ Mia & NYJ. Had to watch other games for updates and never missed Chris Berman. No DTV, SiriusXM or interweb feeds. Talk about ‘tough times!’ The Dark Ages!

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Ah, the "what ifs."  The beauty, and agony, of sport.

Also, I remember getting tickets for this game at my local Marine Midland bank in Rochester.  Other than the Bills ticket office, I think this was the only other ticket distributor.  Does that sound familiar or is my feeble mind playing tricks again...which is the probable answer.

Which means it would have been Bills vs 49ers in SB 23. How that was never a SB considering how good both teams were back then is beyond me

5 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills would have pounded the Bengals in Buffalo. 

Not only they Tampa and Indy losses that killed us, Freaking Chip Lohmiller from the Redskins missed a chip-shot that would have given the Redskins a win and the Bengals a loss in the last week.

The SB was in Miami that year. The Bills played great football and were comfortable in that stadium. I'm convinced they would have beat the 49ers.

Wow!

You are far more optimistic than I am.

That Bills team was good, but I don't think they were good enough to win it all.

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

It was on New Years Day. Went to a New Years party and left at 1 AM  to get up for the tailgating. The guys next to us in the stands were Canadians and had gone to the Tux and Pucks the night before.Still had on their tuxes.

What's a tux and pucks? Was not expecting the story to be they had actual tuxes on. It's a good story, just sounded like it was setting up for them to have gotten into some debauchery the night before...not that that can't happen in a tux

When the Sabres (when the schedule allows) have a home game on New Years  Eve, they have a Tux and Pucks game.  Rent a tux from the local tuxedo rental place (used to be Tuxedo Junction) and get discount tickets to the hockey game. That evening they went to the Sabres game, partied at a downtown bar and then to the stadium for the playoff game.