Buffalo's Four Major Sports - Mount Rushmore

On 7/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

For Buffalo natives:

Baseball: Warren Spann

Hockey: Pat Kane

Basketball: Randy Smith

Football: Gronk

I'm with you on Randy Smith, Promo. Big Mac had some unforgettable seasons in Buffalo, but Randy was the heart and soul of that Braves team, one of the greatest all-around athletes in NBA history -- and a Buff State guy to boot. (As for Gronk, he can go ... well, you know!)

On 7/8/2021 at 3:48 PM, ticketssince61 said:

Had we not made trades based on $, we would have had possibly the best starting front line in NBA history with 3 HOF'ers: Dantley / McAdoo / Malone

45 years on, it still baffles me that the Braves let Malone slip through their fingers -- 2 freakin' games?? I've often wondered if the Braves would have survived in Buffalo if they'd kept him ... Indeed, that front line would have been unstoppable!  

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I give Randy Smith the nod over McAdoo, for his time at Buf State.  Shocked that no one has mentioned Roy Hobbs for baseball.  Bruuuuce (GOAT) and Perrault round it out for me.

Because Roy Hobbs didn't exist? And he didn't play for Buffalo in the movie, it was simply filmed here.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:40 PM, chongli said:

I'd have to say McAdoo is a good choice. Dantley was here only for his rookie year in 1976-77; otherwise he would clearly win over McAdoo.

Well, technically I guess Moses Malone is the most renowned NBA player to play for the Braves.

McAdoo was actually the best player in the NBA for a stretch while with Buffalo............Dantley had a longer prime and was a great scorer but he was more of a one-trick pony and almost all of that happened elsewhere.

The Braves had to be the most personnel-lucky of any Buffalo franchise in their brief history.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, bighorn_zilla said:

I recently read an article on how Larry Bird, during the National Anthem, would look at Bobby Orr’s banner and think how great Orr was and what Orr meant to Boston.  Which got me thinking of Boston’s Mount Rushmore of the Four Major Sports – Baseball, Basketball, Football and Hockey.

So it could be argued that the following are Boston’s Mount Rushmore:

Baseball – Ted Williams

Basketball – Bill Russell

Football – Tom Brady

Hockey – Bobby Orr

But who would be Buffalo’s representatives?

Baseball – Connie Mack?

Basketball – Bob Lanier? / Christian Laettner?

Football – Jim Kelly?

Hockey – Dominic Hasek?

Thoughts?

I would put Miller over Hasek, but the correct answer in my eyes is Gilbert Perrault. 

22 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

I'm with you on Randy Smith, Promo. Big Mac had some unforgettable seasons in Buffalo, but Randy was the heart and soul of that Braves team, one of the greatest all-around athletes in NBA history -- and a Buff State guy to boot. (As for Gronk, he can go ... well, you know!)

I realize now Randy Smith was from Long Island. But he went from D3 Buff State to the NBA. He was also a soccer stud.

I feel like you have to go with The Dominator for hockey. He's simply one of the best to ever do it.

LaFontaine's 148 point season was incredible and I was always a huge fan. Set the record for an American-born player, although I'm not sure if that still stands. Probably does I would think. Shame about the concussions because if he had put together another season or two like that, or simply have contributed until he was 36-38 years old like other NHL legends then he'd be in the conversation with Hasek and Perreault.

Kelly and McAdoo. and then I guess Spahn, sure

After re-reading the original post it seems it's cool to deviate outside of the actual professional teams, in which case I change my basketball vote to Uncle Cliffy Cliff Robinson and his headband. An NBA legend RIP

On 7/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, buffaloboyinATL said:

I would put Miller over Hasek, but the correct answer in my eyes is Gilbert Perrault. 

I love Miller time.. but Dom is almost a consensus greatest goalie of all time

The dude has six vezina trophies for the sabers.. most under modern voting criteria 

Miller isn't a top 10 goalie of all time.. hasek is guaranteed in the top three 

But yea it's Gilbert

Edited by Buffalo716

On 7/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, Motorin' said:

Baseball - Warren Spahn, South Park HS graduate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Spahn

Winningest Left Handed pitcher of all-time, also took three years off in his prime to fight WWII. 

Basketball - Bob McAdoo

Hockey - Gilbert Perrault

Football - soon to be Josh Allen 

this.. and its not close... lol