Buffalo's Four Major Sports - Mount Rushmore

I recently read an article on how Larry Bird, during the National Anthem, would look at Bobby Orr’s banner and think how great Orr was and what Orr meant to Boston.  Which got me thinking of Boston’s Mount Rushmore of the Four Major Sports – Baseball, Basketball, Football and Hockey.

So it could be argued that the following are Boston’s Mount Rushmore:

Baseball – Ted Williams

Basketball – Bill Russell

Football – Tom Brady

Hockey – Bobby Orr

But who would be Buffalo’s representatives?

Baseball – Connie Mack?

Basketball – Bob Lanier? / Christian Laettner?

Football – Jim Kelly?

Hockey – Dominic Hasek?

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Probably give the basketball nod to McAdoo - the Braves weren't around very long and he's the only player of note worth mentioning.

For baseball - Warren Spahn?  I know he never played in Buffalo, but he was from here.  

Fine with Kelly... for now.  I think Allen will take the spot someday.

Hockey - Hasek 

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

We don’t have an MLB or NBA team and history.  We had the Braves, but Laettner nor Lanier didn’t play for that team.  This doesn’t make any sense.  

I guess only you’re trying to link where these guys grew up.

So if you’re linking where they grew up ok, I understand, then consider these points.

Ted Williams home, CA

Bill Russell home, Louisiana

Tom Brady home, CA

Bobby Orr home, Canada

I honestly don’t know the correlation.  We have two major sports and you know Hasik and MGK (the real one) is PA.

Im not trying to give you a hard time,

but there is no real correlation between the cities.  We’re a small market area that if you want to only count playing here ok, then it would be Kelly, Gilbert, and Bob Macadue.  We’ve never had MLB so irrelevant.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

Baseball - Warren Spahn, South Park HS graduate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Spahn

Winningest Left Handed pitcher of all-time, also took three years off in his prime to fight WWII. 

Basketball - Bob McAdoo

Hockey - Gilbert Perrault

Football - soon to be Josh Allen 

I like the Allen prediction.  We’ll dun Motorin!  I hope in 10 years we all say that one and maybe he considers living here post career even if 50% of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

great topic - thanks - you had me do a look-up on Connie Mack thanks to this...his Buffalo link is that he purchased shares in the players league and lost it all when the league folded...one and done with Buffalo...

Baseball - Warren Spahn - best left-handed pitcher in MLB history, served in WWII - Battle of the Bulge....then Joe McCarthy - Yankees manager during the early glory years

Basketball - Bob Lanier - the best baller the area has ever produced - followed by either by Bob Mcadoo - the best Brave ever - or Randy Smith - second best

Football - Ralph Wilson - I know, I know... but he brought the NFL to our fair city (who else would have ?) and more importantly kept it here when he could have easily sold-out; and his passing allowed the Pegulas to do the same for years and decades to come hopefully..then OJ (then he ducks).

Hockey - its a hockey town - so I am going with four for hockey.. (Gil is my boyhood idol) - lets go with the Knox family (see Wilson, Ralph above), the French Connection,  the Dominator, and RJ or Ted Darling....

now excuse me whilst I step out for a cigarette (and I dont smoke).

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Baseball - Warren Spahn, South Park HS graduate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Spahn

Winningest Left Handed pitcher of all-time, also took three years off in his prime to fight WWII. 

Basketball - Bob McAdoo

Hockey - Gilbert Perrault

Football - soon to be Josh Allen 

Nailed it with Spahn!

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Baseball - No professional team. Not relevant to this discussion.

Well, technically speaking, all minor league teams are considered professional, so the Bisons should count; but I understand your point. 

If we are talking about all pro teams from WNY and not just Buffalo, for baseball, the Rochester Red Wings, the Syracuse Mets, the former Jamestown Jammers, and Batavia Muckdogs when they were Minor League Baseball (MiLB) should be considered. Am I forgetting any baseball team?

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For football its hard to argue against Jim Kelly for a number of reasons, but the best bills player of all-time at their position is undoubtedly Bruce Smith.  Remains (in debatable order) top two or three defensive ends of all time.  

4 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Agree with most here regarding Kelly and Perrault.  Don't follow baseball so can't really venture a guess there.  McAdoo or Adrian Dantley for basketball.

I'd have to say McAdoo is a good choice. Dantley was here only for his rookie year in 1976-77; otherwise he would clearly win over McAdoo.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1