Athletic article on Bills Fan Expectations

TBD version of Joe B's Athletic Survey  

220 members have voted

1. 1. 1. How many regular-season games will the Bills win in 2021?

• 17-15
    • 14-13
    • 12-11
    • 10-9
    • 8 or less
  2. 2. 2. What needs to happen for the Bills season to be considered a success?

• Win It All!!! Superbowl!
    • Superbowl appearance
    • AFC Championship game repeat
    • AFC Divisional round
    • Win AFC East
    • Playoffs, Baby!
  3. 3. 3. Do the Bills have what it takes to win the Super Bowl in 2021

• Yes
    • No

50 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure I agree - the play he fumbled was a 2nd and 10 on the 19 - even if he doesn’t fumble it would have been 3rd and 6 from the 15.  The most likely outcome was still a FG to tie the game and I still liked the Bills chances in OT.  I don’t think we were on the ropes as NE never lead in the game - they kept having to match us.

I think NE has talent, but they are not a great team.  I think their TEs are better, but our top 4 maybe 5 WRs start for them and they really do not have good WRs or depth and if they get rid of Harry it is even worse. I also think there OLine is not any better than the Bills - they have some good run blockers, but pass blocking is not a strength and the last time they lost their OLine coach - the line fell apart and they had to bring him back after a year - so I expect their line to be a liability this year.

Their defense has loads of potential whether Gilmore plays or not, but they will need to be a top scoring defense because that offense is going to be in the bottom of the league scoring.  

I expect at least 1 tight game and one comfortable win against them, but I just do not seem them hanging around at the end of the season.  Looking realistically at their schedule I see them looking good early, but starting with LAC at the end of Oct. going 3-7 down the stretch for a 7-10 or 8-9 record.  

I’d say 9-9 to 9-8, but I’m liking youre prediction much better.  Anything that keeps them out of the playoffs, but high enough(8-9) that they draft crappy again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I predicted 12 wins.  Please explain how predicting 12 wins is the same as saying “they can’t win more than 12 games”.  I’ll wait

So you think they will only win 12 games…because that’s how many you think they can win.  Why will they not win more, if they can?

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The window is WIDE open right now!!!!

With the belief that McD and Frazier didn’t suddenly forget how to coach D and that last year was an aberration ( on a few levels), our D will be markedly better led by a much improved D line showing.

While D Coordinators are trying To scheme against last years downfield passing attack , Daboll and Co will show some short game wrinkles that keep them guessing and improve our play action game.

Super Bowl BABY💪💪💪💪💪

Really good team, really loaded conference. The SB winners would have what, the 5th best roster in the AFC?

If I'm doing a power ranking of rosters:

1. Chiefs

2. Browns

3. Bills

4. Titans

5. Bucs

6. Pack

7. Colts

8. Ravens

9. Niners

10. Rams

• Agree 1

I said 12-11 wins, but I could see more (too lazy to pull up schedule and think)

I think the Bills could win the Super Bowl, but I said "playoffs" as what's needed for a successful season. A lot of factors can go into a playoff loss even if its 1st Round. Did a key player get hurt/sick, obvious blown call by official, freak snow storm or other type of storm make conditions an absolute mess to play in, did they lose to the eventual SB Champs? If all the above is "no" then sure a first round loss would be pretty frustrating. However the AFC should be really good, just get to the Playoffs and let the chips fall. Again though, no reason the Bills couldnt win it all...

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you think they will only win 12 games…because that’s how many you think they can win.  Why will they not win more, if they can?

I believe that we CAN go undefeated…..but  I don’t predict that we will.  I think that if things played out in our favor, we’re good enough to go 17-0.

To answer your troll-like question:  we can win more than 12 because we have a great team.  My PREDICTION is that we win 12 games……but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if we won 13-15.  I would be surprised if we won less than 11.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Really good team, really loaded conference. The SB winners would have what, the 5th best roster in the AFC?

If I'm doing a power ranking of rosters:

1. Chiefs

2. Browns

3. Bills

4. Titans

5. Bucs

6. Pack

7. Colts

8. Ravens

9. Niners

10. Rams

Titans at.. 4??  lol

Their D sucks--gave up 30 or more 7 times.  Their Offense is Derrick Henry.  Then there's Tannehill and one guy who eaked  out a 1000 yard season.

Bucs have Brady, Evans, Godwin, Gronk for the 3rd highest scoring Offense and a Defense at 8th in points allowed--and completely stoned Andy Reid's Offense.

The Bills have a better roster than the Titans..

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I believe that we CAN go undefeated…..but  I don’t predict that we will.  I think that if things played out in our favor, we’re good enough to go 17-0.

To answer your troll-like question:  we can win more than 12 because we have a great team.  My PREDICTION is that we win 12 games……but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if we won 13-15.  I would be surprised if we won less than 11.

Atta boy!  I was waiting for that!

If there were 25 games, they COULD go 25-0!!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RiotAct said:

We’ll win 12 games in the regular season easy, most likely 13-14

wait… there are still people that doubt he’s our guy?  (besides people like Nick Wright who do it  as a schtick).

I honestly don't think Nick Wright does it as a schtick.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

GB 2 TE's caught 14 TDs.  Their RBs ran for 1800+ yards, over 5 YPC and 13 TDs.  

Like last year, Josh will be carrying this Offense. 

I'm expecting greater production out of our TE's, esp. if we land Ertz.  There is also no reason Moss and Williams can't average over 5 YPC.  

Diggs, Sanders and Beasley and David (perhaps Hodgkins also) are a fearsome WR grouping. 

It hardly is Josh doing all the work like 2 years ago.  It wasn't all Josh last year either.  Diggs was lights out.  

24 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm expecting greater production out of our TE's, esp. if we land Ertz.  There is also no reason Moss and Williams can't average over 5 YPC.  

Diggs, Sanders and Beasley and David (perhaps Hodgkins also) are a fearsome WR grouping. 

It hardly is Josh doing all the work like 2 years ago.  It wasn't all Josh last year either.  Diggs was lights out.  

it's what, the 3rd year wen have been saying we expect greater production form the TE?  

Williams?...as in Antonio Williams?  He was put on the PS 4 different times last year.  He appeared in one game. You see no reason he can't average 5 YPC? The only way that will happen is if his career ended tomorrow. 

I was  responding to the post re: GB.  I was using actual results from last year, not imagined ones for this year.  Josh turned Diggs a 1500+ yard receiver.  He made Beasley a nearly 1000 yard and 80+ catch receiver.   Plus he ran for 8 TDs (as many as all of his teammates combined)--45 TDs total (of 56).  That's carrying an Offense any way you slice it.  The team will count on the same this year (lacking a stud RB).  Maybe if the Defense takes a large leap forward, they won't have to throw as much, but if they go to the run for ball control, this crew will get the hook quickly I bet.

• Agree 1

My view is if the Bills repeated last season a 13-4 or 14-3 record, an AFC East title, and a run to the AFC Championship game that would be another 'successful' season. The reality of the NFL is that only one club goes home with no regrets - the one that wins it all. I don't feel the Bills are in Superbowl or bust mode, their best players - Allen, White, Diggs, Dawkins - still have at least a few years of their prime remaining. When you look at the spots where the candle might be beginning to burn down the two safeties jump out, as do Hughes and Beasley (if he doesn't retire this summer), but beyond that there are lots of young guys who are established starters on this team who will be around at least for the next couple of years and possibly longer - Edmunds, Milano, Oliver, Davis etc. I don't think the Bills are close yet to now or never territory.

None of which is to say they should be aiming for that. Their objective should be to win a Superbowl. I am not one of those folks who says that should be every team's objective ever year because you have to be realistic about where your team is at. The Bills do - to answer question 3 - have a roster and a coaching staff that could win a Superbowl in 2021, so that should be their aim. But in a world where they have a similar season to last year I am going to struggle to feel like it is failure as a fan. If I was on the coaching staff I'd want to build the belief in the building from the start of camp that anything but a Lombardi is failure but even then once the season is over if they fall just short again the staff still has to take perspective and recognise the success. That is the art of leadership. You have to set the bar extremely high without losing perspective. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 7/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, P Riv said:

We still have to beat a combination of KC, Tennessee, Cleveland, in the playoffs, then there's TB or GB to get past if we reach the SB.  Tall order and we have a good solid team, but we're putting all of our hopes in the QB to carry it all.  Need Josh to be Aaron Rodgers, and even he's only been able to pull it off once.

What team doesn't put their hopes on a great QB to carry it all?  Teams just aren't built around dominating defense like the 85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Buccaneers.  (maybe the WFT/Redskins are trying to be that.  But their defense was overrated last year.  Their schedule was garbage, because their division was pretty much garbage.  And they still only finished 7-9)  We will be just fine with a great offense and a solid defense, and very good special teams.

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

it's what, the 3rd year wen have been saying we expect greater production form the TE?  

Williams?...as in Antonio Williams?  He was put on the PS 4 different times last year.  He appeared in one game. You see no reason he can't average 5 YPC? The only way that will happen is if his career ended tomorrow. 

I was  responding to the post re: GB.  I was using actual results from last year, not imagined ones for this year.  Josh turned Diggs a 1500+ yard receiver.  He made Beasley a nearly 1000 yard and 80+ catch receiver.   Plus he ran for 8 TDs (as many as all of his teammates combined)--45 TDs total (of 56).  That's carrying an Offense any way you slice it.  The team will count on the same this year (lacking a stud RB).  Maybe if the Defense takes a large leap forward, they won't have to throw as much, but if they go to the run for ball control, this crew will get the hook quickly I bet.

I'm going to have to disagree that Josh MADE Diggs into what he was.  It was a combo of an elite WR finally having an elite QB.  Same with Beasley in terms of elite slot WR having an elite QB.  

I'll bet you a beer that if Williams is in the RB rotation (and is actually used, you know, Daboll remembering that he has RB's) he averages 5 ypc!

Since TE's take time to develop, and this will be Knox's 3rd year, yeah, I don't think it's far-fetched at all to expect a breakout year from him.  Also, I expect Ertz to wind up on the Bills, which puts more talent there.  

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm going to have to disagree that Josh MADE Diggs into what he was.  It was a combo of an elite WR finally having an elite QB.  Same with Beasley in terms of elite slot WR having an elite QB.  

I'll bet you a beer that if Williams is in the RB rotation (and is actually used, you know, Daboll remembering that he has RB's) he averages 5 ypc!

Since TE's take time to develop, and this will be Knox's 3rd year, yeah, I don't think it's far-fetched at all to expect a breakout year from him.  Also, I expect Ertz to wind up on the Bills, which puts more talent there.  

Daboll has 2 recently drafted 3rd rounders and Breida. Williams is the guy who gets pulled off the PS when someone is injured.

Prescott had an elite year ( and the Cowboys the #1 Offense)--as soon as Beasley was gone.  

Justin Jefferson, a rookie, had 1400 yards with Cousins at QB last year....despite Thielen getting over 100 targets as well.  Diggs best year he cracked 1100 yards, despite Thielen only getting half as many targets as him (due to missed games).

I’ll bet that beer, but Williams would have to play in at least half the games—no credit for one appearance at 5 YPC

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Daboll has 2 recently drafted 3rd rounders and Breida. Williams is the guy who gets pulled off the PS when someone is injured.

Prescott had an elite year ( and the Cowboys the #1 Offense)--as soon as Beasley was gone.  

Justin Jefferson, a rookie, had 1400 yards with Cousins at QB last year....despite Thielen getting over 100 targets as well.  Diggs best year he cracked 1100 yards, despite Thielen only getting half as many targets as him (due to missed games).

I’ll bet that beer, but Williams would have to play in at least half the games—no credit for one appearance at 5 YPC

are you implying Jefferson is better than Diggs?!?    I think Minny revamped it’s offense last year.  Beasley was misused in Dallas, always talented.  

I agree on the terms of the bet.  If Williams plays 1/2 games, I think he averages 5 ypc. I  did forget about Breida, who I think has a resurgence here. 

Diggs numbers in Minnesota never matched his talent for a number of reasons but I have said for 4 years he is one of the top 10 receivers in the NFL and was the best receiver on the Vikings. Better Quarterbacking, an offense that better suits his skillset and a locker room with a better culture and he was always going to go off. 

You just had to watch the tape to know the kid was special. Jefferson had a great rookie season, much better than I expected, but he also until the final 5 or 6 weeks saw very little double coverage which for the first time in his career was focussed on Thielen. It was a stone cold lock that Thielen's targets, yards and yards per reception would all be down and they were. He became much more their jump ball redzone guy. The reason he was used as the stick mover before was because pretty much every defense the Vikings faced made a concerted effort to stop Diggs beating them. And in an offense that lacked creativity and with a risk averse QB that worked and the ball got fed just to Thielen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:20 AM, GunnerBill said:

My view is if the Bills repeated last season a 13-4 or 14-3 record, an AFC East title, and a run to the AFC Championship game that would be another 'successful' season. The reality of the NFL is that only one club goes home with no regrets - the one that wins it all. I don't feel the Bills are in Superbowl or bust mode, their best players - Allen, White, Diggs, Dawkins - still have at least a few years of their prime remaining. When you look at the spots where the candle might be beginning to burn down the two safeties jump out, as do Hughes and Beasley (if he doesn't retire this summer), but beyond that there are lots of young guys who are established starters on this team who will be around at least for the next couple of years and possibly longer - Edmunds, Milano, Oliver, Davis etc. I don't think the Bills are close yet to now or never territory.

None of which is to say they should be aiming for that. Their objective should be to win a Superbowl. I am not one of those folks who says that should be every team's objective ever year because you have to be realistic about where your team is at. The Bills do - to answer question 3 - have a roster and a coaching staff that could win a Superbowl in 2021, so that should be their aim. But in a world where they have a similar season to last year I am going to struggle to feel like it is failure as a fan. If I was on the coaching staff I'd want to build the belief in the building from the start of camp that anything but a Lombardi is failure but even then once the season is over if they fall just short again the staff still has to take perspective and recognize the success. That is the art of leadership. You have to set the bar extremely high without losing perspective. 

Excellent work, Gunner. Thank you.

11 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

are you implying Jefferson is better than Diggs?!?    I think Minny revamped it’s offense last year.  Beasley was misused in Dallas, always talented.  

I agree on the terms of the bet.  If Williams plays 1/2 games, I think he averages 5 ypc. I  did forget about Breida, who I think has a resurgence here. 

I'm saying you can't conclude that Diggs was held back by non-elite Cousins, when a rookie strolled into Minny and, had no problem sharing targets with Thielen yet still  put up 1400 with the same non-elite QB that Diggs managed 1100+ with--despite by sharing far fewer targets.  

On 7/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, Rochesterfan said:

The strip occurred at the 15 and was recovered on the 13.  Newton’s knee hits the ground right where the ball was recovered.  

The strip saved the game, but it would have still been 3rd and 4 or so.  There is no way he gets a first as just after the hit by Zimmer - Newton goes down and his knee hits.  

I understand there was a definite chance we could have lost, but I still think they would of had a 3rd and mid range and would of needed a timeout. 

Either way - it was a great ending for us.

Don’t forget ROC, there were 45 mph. winds that day grounding both teams.  It surprised me BB played 8 men back to stop our passing attack as I think Daboll played it safer by running, and not a lot of bodies up fron to tackle on their side.  In normal conditions in the second game, we destroyed them.  

The Pats will not be able to win by just having a short passing game, running, and defense.  We’ll get up on them fast like we did to many teams last season making it harder to maintain with a running game.  I’d love to see us get up on them by 17 fast and see how long they stick with a running and short passing game.

• Like (+1) 1