Athletic article on Bills Fan Expectations

TBD version of Joe B's Athletic Survey  

220 members have voted

1. 1. 1. How many regular-season games will the Bills win in 2021?

• 17-15
    • 14-13
    • 12-11
    • 10-9
    • 8 or less
  2. 2. 2. What needs to happen for the Bills season to be considered a success?

• Win It All!!! Superbowl!
    • Superbowl appearance
    • AFC Championship game repeat
    • AFC Divisional round
    • Win AFC East
    • Playoffs, Baby!
  3. 3. 3. Do the Bills have what it takes to win the Super Bowl in 2021

• Yes
    • No

Joe Buscaglia.  Athletic, paywall, cheap trial usually available

https://theathletic.com/2682501/2021/07/01/bills-fan-survey-results-lofty-super-bowl-expectations-plus-a-tight-battle-for-most-overrated-player/?source=emp_shared_article

1,527 fans completed the survey, and there are some interesting paradoxes there.

But before you look or I post excerpts, let's run our own fan mini-survey.

Not fair to replicate Joe's article exactly, but I thought 3 questions would be interesting, that being our maximum

The window is WIDE open right now!!!!

With the belief that McD and Frazier didn’t suddenly forget how to coach D and that last year was an aberration ( on a few levels), our D will be markedly better led by a much improved D line showing.

While D Coordinators are trying To scheme against last years downfield passing attack , Daboll and Co will show some short game wrinkles that keep them guessing and improve our play action game.

Super Bowl BABY💪💪💪💪💪

• Like (+1) 2

Might as well set the goal high and shoot for it all.  Some things have to come together, including some players stepping forward, and there has to be some luck, but a SB win is certainly possible.  F a SB loss.  That’s pretty much the worst possible outcome for the Bills - or at least me personally.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I think they drop down 1 game from last season.  Obviously would like to see them make the SB, but if they make it back to the AFC Championship game again I don't know how you couldn't call that a successful year.  Back to back final four finishes?  I'd take that in a heartbeat.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Joe Buscaglia.  Athletic, paywall, cheap trial usually available

https://theathletic.com/2682501/2021/07/01/bills-fan-survey-results-lofty-super-bowl-expectations-plus-a-tight-battle-for-most-overrated-player/?source=emp_shared_article

1,527 fans completed the survey, and there are some interesting paradoxes there.

But before you look or I post excerpts, let's run our own fan mini-survey.

Not fair to replicate Joe's article exactly, but I thought 3 questions would be interesting, that being our maximum

Willing to go put on a limb and say these poll numbers will mirror The Athletics

i guessed at 12 wins.  i think a super bowl appearance would be considered a wild success for this season, and i do think the bills have what it takes to win a super bowl.    winning a super bowl means everything went right that season, and a bit of luck was sprinkled in.   we've seen that you don't even have to be the best team in the nfl that year to win it, but i truly think the core is strong enough with this team to put them in the conversation for the next few, (or more ) years.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Expectations and goals are different. 

Goal is obviously the Super Bowl, but I dont think if we dont make it that the season wont be a success (wow lots of negatives there lol).

I chose 12 wins and AFC Championship game repeat as expectations and I would consider that a success. It would show that last season wasn't a fluke and the Allen is for real (not that I dont think he is, just that it would certainly silence the majority of his detractors/doubters)

• Agree 1

We’ll win 12 games in the regular season easy, most likely 13-14

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I chose 12 wins and AFC Championship game repeat as expectations and I would consider that a success. It would show that last season wasn't a fluke and the Allen is for real (not that I dont think he is, just that it would certainly silence the majority of his detractors/doubters)

wait… there are still people that doubt he’s our guy?  (besides people like Nick Wright who do it  as a schtick).

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

We’ll win 12 games in the regular season easy, most likely 13-14

wait… there are still people that doubt he’s our guy?  (besides people like Nick Wright who do it  as a schtick).

I have seen repeated on FB as well as on here that some people think it was a fluke because of no fans in the stands 

• Agree 1

I said AFC championship repeat would be a successful season but now I think of how everyone would be talking of not being able to get over the hump. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

F a SB loss.  That’s pretty much the worst possible outcome for the Bills

I can't agree more with BarleyNY . 

Superbowl it is👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we end up with 13-14 wins this year. I think getting to the AFC Championship Game would be a successful season (even though it would still be heartbreaking to lose). Finally, I believe this team does have what it takes to hoist a Lombardi. Most of these guys have been together 3 or more years now, both defensively and offensively. You can't underestimate the continuity of being in the same system, with the same coordinators, with the same assignments for that amount of time. We also are having a normal offseason for the younger players this year where that wasn't afforded last year. I think it will make a huge difference for the 2nd year guys, as well as the people brought in last year who are going into their 2nd season with the team. The only thing that could completely derail this entire train would be injuries and I hope we are fortunate in that regard this year. 

• Agree 1

We still have to beat a combination of KC, Tennessee, Cleveland, in the playoffs, then there's TB or GB to get past if we reach the SB.  Tall order and we have a good solid team, but we're putting all of our hopes in the QB to carry it all.  Need Josh to be Aaron Rodgers, and even he's only been able to pull it off once.

I think with our talent and depth at QB, DL, and the secondary, we are primed to win 13-14 games.  I suppose I could consider making the AFC Championship game a "success", but I have a hard time doing that.  This team is built to win it all, not become another perennial playoff team that never gets it done.  If we stay healthy, and the D improves in run D and pass rush, (and I expect the RB game to improve as well) we can beat anyone.  

Just now, P Riv said:

We still have to beat a combination of KC, Tennessee, Cleveland, in the playoffs, then there's TB or GB to get past if we reach the SB.  Tall order and we have a good solid team, but we're putting all of our hopes in the QB to carry it all.  Need Josh to be Aaron Rodgers, and even he's only been able to pull it off once.

not sure we need Allen to carry us the way Rodgers carries GB.  First, we have better WR (and potentially TE) group than GB, and hopefully our running game matches theirs.  Williams and Moss flashed at the end of last year.  Second, our secondary is likely the best in the NFL, and if our pass rush and run D get their act together, we could routinely hold teams below 17 points, and even give elite teams like KC major issues.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think with our talent and depth at QB, DL, and the secondary, we are primed to win 13-14 games.  I suppose I could consider making the AFC Championship game a "success", but I have a hard time doing that.  This team is built to win it all, not become another perennial playoff team that never gets it done.  If we stay healthy, and the D improves in run D and pass rush, (and I expect the RB game to improve as well) we can beat anyone.  

not sure we need Allen to carry us the way Rodgers carries GB.  First, we have better WR (and potentially TE) group than GB, and hopefully our running game matches theirs.  Williams and Moss flashed at the end of last year.  Second, our secondary is likely the best in the NFL, and if our pass rush and run D get their act together, we could routinely hold teams below 17 points, and even give elite teams like KC major issues.  

Sounds good to me, but I don't believe we did much of anything to improve our run game or defend against it either.  We're going to have some high scoring games IMHO.  KC's weakness was their O-line, look what they accomplished this offseason.  Everybody tries to improve, we more or less kept the status quo.  We needed a stud D-lineman or a beast at RB to get closer to pushing over the hump.  Maybe we'll get lucky with few injuries, everything goes right, etc.  Every season is different and pre-season hype based on last year is usually wrong.  

I was in the 13-14 wins, afc championship game and yes to SB Champ caliber group. This team definitely has the potential to win it all, but as others have noted it usually takes a little luck too. Staying away from major injuries and fluky losses (Hail Mary, etc) are key to getting home playoff games and hopefully home field advantage throughout.

For this season my biggest fear is losing key players to the virus if our team vaccination numbers don’t improve. If we lose a few key players here or there for a game or two that could really derail a deep playoff run or making the playoffs entirely. I hope my fears aren’t realized, but this Delta variant has to be taken seriously. I hope what we are seeing now where most all   Infections are to unvaccinated individuals will spur more of the players to get their shots.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would say as far as my expectations are for this upcoming season, are fairly reasonable and likely very similar with most others..... After what they accomplished last year, I expect at least about the same.

I expect a deep playoff run of course to hopefully another AFC Championship game appearance (long as team has no major injuries obviously). If that happens I think I will be a little more confident that this time they would be able to get over the hump and get to the Super Bowl. Then I would 100% go insane if they win it.