[LAMP??] (Bob) Chandler#81 highlights

12 hours ago, Rubes said:

Awesome, thanks @Chandler#81! My all-time favorite Bill as well. Loved pretending to be him as a kid, catching tip-toe passes on the sidelines.

I did the same.  Kind of ironic that he ended up with Oakland since he played a lot like Fred Biletnikoff.   It was also ironic that he was traded to Oakland 2 months after I moved to the Bay Area.

Died too young.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My all-time favorite Buffalo Bill. (He was a “slut” in Oakland -literally!)

His book ‘Violent Sundays’  tells the story of his Playgirl nude layout. Raider teammates quickly dubbed him ‘the Slut’

6BEC7AFD-0693-4206-8E6A-37D693101695.jpeg

I have to get that book.

• Like (+1) 1

You could have put all the QBs Bob caught TDs from in this clip in generic uniforms with the same number and Plunkett would still stick out like a sore thumb. Always looked like he was heaving a grenade.

Edited by Red Squirrel
triple posted
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

You could have put all the QBs Bob caught TDs from in this clip in generic uniforms with the same number and Plunkett would still stick out like a sore thumb. Always looked like he was heaving a grenade.

I walked into a restaurant in Santa Cruz and there was Plunkett and Chandler at a table.  I didn’t bother them.

21 hours ago, Rubes said:

Awesome, thanks @Chandler#81! My all-time favorite Bill as well. Loved pretending to be him as a kid, catching tip-toe passes on the sidelines.

I hadn't realized he had caught passes from so many great QBs. Really cool to see him catch one from Pastorini, another of my favorites growing up, though for reasons I'm not sure. Maybe I just liked his name?

Probably one of my favorites of his as well. It was featured on the opening of a weekly show, was it Inside the NFL? I was really hoping they'd have that one in there.

Thanks to @Chandler#81 as well.  All us old folks responding in here! 

and @Rubes, I think the blackout rules back then meant growing up we started to like different teams / players. If the Bills were home, they were just flat out not on TV. Sellout or not. I too liked those Oiler teams, as well KC. They were on TV every week it seemed. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thanks to @Chandler#81 as well.  All us old folks responding in here! 

and @Rubes, I think the blackout rules back then meant growing up we started to like different teams / players. If the Bills were home, they were just flat out not on TV. Sellout or not. I too liked those Oiler teams, as well KC. They were on TV every week it seemed. 

Speaking of ‘blackout’, my cousin & I painted our football helmets white and I made Buffaloes out of strips of black electrical tape, cuz that’s the way they looked on tv. Then my uncle brought us home ACTUAL Bills helmet stickers and I remember thinking “Red? RED?!? That’s WRONG!”

(We didn’t have a color tv..🤷‍♂️)

• Haha (+1) 3

On 7/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, Rubes said:

Yep - first thing I thought of.  We used to play street football in the neighborhood and we all loved to tip-toe the curb ("sideline") and yell "Bobby Chandler" when we made the grab

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks Chandler#81!! That was awesome. During those grim mid-late 70s Bills teams, it seemed like Bobby was the Bills entire offense sometimes! Besides his incomparable hands, people forget that he was also an amazing athlete, a top high-school decathlete and high jumper. His body control was superb. The only guy in the NFL who could out-highpoint Bobby back then was maybe Harold Carmichael -- but he was also 6'-8" ! 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I have to get that book.

I think you’ll enjoy it. It’s a biography, so not altogether football related -though in depth about all his injuries!  But many great tales of his time here and with Oakland.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, Mickey said:

First NFL player I ever got an autograph from, far and away my favorite player from that era. 

We were visiting Buffalo to see some family, I think is was the summer of '75, and we went to watch practice a few days before they were going to play the Packers in a preseason game ( I think it was the game where Robert James suffered a career ending injury).  Earlier that summer, OJ got into a fist fight with Neal Craig, a defensive back. I remember Craig mocking OJ when he was signing autographs after practice. I remember the look on OJ's face, if looks could.....anyway they got rid of Craig soon after. Chandler was sitting on his helmet on the sideline during practice and we got close enough to get his attention but we had no paper for him to sign. He scrounged around on the sideline and tore up a used envelope he found, signed that, and handed it to us. Gave us a wave, we yelled "Go Bills!" and he gave us a thumbs up and went back to sitting on his hat. 

James injury happened against Rams when Lawrence McCutchron hit him.

Also one of my all-time favorites.  Playing sandlot football as a young boy I used to declare "I'm Bob Chandler".  I think of him as one of the masters at sidelines and end zone toe tap inbounds.  Like someone else said, very similar to Fred Bilrtnikoff.  I seemed to recall he died way too young and just went to Wikipedia to confirm, and discovered something I hadn't known: "Chandler's niece Sarah George Chester and her daughter Payton were two of the nine victims, along with Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, on board the helicopter that crashed in Calabasas, California on January 26, 2020." Bob Chandler

• Sad 1

On 7/8/2021 at 12:31 AM, Chandler#81 said:

My all-time favorite Buffalo Bill. (He was a “slut” in Oakland -literally!)

His book ‘Violent Sundays’  tells the story of his Playgirl nude layout. Raider teammates quickly dubbed him ‘the Slut’

6BEC7AFD-0693-4206-8E6A-37D693101695.jpeg

You're welcome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234058204300?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001