[LAMP??] (Bob) Chandler#81 highlights

My all-time favorite Buffalo Bill. (He was a “slut” in Oakland -literally!)

His book ‘Violent Sundays’  tells the story of his Playgirl nude layout. Raider teammates quickly dubbed him ‘the Slut’

6BEC7AFD-0693-4206-8E6A-37D693101695.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My older sister was absolutely crazy about Bob Chandler. In ' 73 she bought 3 season tickets and took 2 of her little brothers to each game (what an awesome sister). After one of the games, she spotted Chandler leaving and heading across the back lot to his car (she may have been stalking him😂). My sister took off running with me and my little brother, 12 and 9, chasing after her. After a long run we caught up to him, he couldn't have been nicer and after a brief chat he signed autographs for the 3 of us. He was definitely one of my favorite Bills as a kid.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Fantastic highlights of an all-time favorite. I'm sorry the compilation doesn't include his iconic toe-tapping catch against the Bucs in 1978. It came at the end of a terrible day (Bills got crushed by the Creamsicles) and the toss from Bill Munson was overthrown, but Bobby was such a consummate pro he gave a fantastic effort and pulled it in along the end line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Never met him in my days back in WNY but I got to meet his family when I designed a high school gymnasium that was named after Bob in Southern California. I told them it was my honor having watched him in person all those many years with the Bills. They thought that was cool!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My all-time favorite Buffalo Bill. (He was a “slut” in Oakland -literally!)

His book ‘Violent Sundays’  tells the story of his Playgirl nude layout. Raider teammates quickly dubbed him ‘the Slut

6BEC7AFD-0693-4206-8E6A-37D693101695.jpeg

Where are the Green Men when you need them?  @SDS @Nervous Guy we have an obvious need for a name change here for Chandler

Seriously, @Chandler#81 great find, thanks for sharing

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

What makes it all the more enjoyable is that he doesn't behave like an asshat when he scores.  Ahh, the good old days.

I love when he at times looks like he's going to toss it to the defender, but then simply hands it to the ref.  This guy was great, and I nearly forgot about him.  Thanks for sharing.

Awesome, thanks @Chandler#81! My all-time favorite Bill as well. Loved pretending to be him as a kid, catching tip-toe passes on the sidelines.

I hadn't realized he had caught passes from so many great QBs. Really cool to see him catch one from Pastorini, another of my favorites growing up, though for reasons I'm not sure. Maybe I just liked his name?

2 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Fantastic highlights of an all-time favorite. I'm sorry the compilation doesn't include his iconic toe-tapping catch against the Bucs in 1978. It came at the end of a terrible day (Bills got crushed by the Creamsicles) and the toss from Bill Munson was overthrown, but Bobby was such a consummate pro he gave a fantastic effort and pulled it in along the end line.

Probably one of my favorites of his as well. It was featured on the opening of a weekly show, was it Inside the NFL? I was really hoping they'd have that one in there.

• Like (+1) 2

First NFL player I ever got an autograph from, far and away my favorite player from that era. 

We were visiting Buffalo to see some family, I think is was the summer of '75, and we went to watch practice a few days before they were going to play the Packers in a preseason game ( I think it was the game where Robert James suffered a career ending injury).  Earlier that summer, OJ got into a fist fight with Neal Craig, a defensive back. I remember Craig mocking OJ when he was signing autographs after practice. I remember the look on OJ's face, if looks could.....anyway they got rid of Craig soon after. Chandler was sitting on his helmet on the sideline during practice and we got close enough to get his attention but we had no paper for him to sign. He scrounged around on the sideline and tore up a used envelope he found, signed that, and handed it to us. Gave us a wave, we yelled "Go Bills!" and he gave us a thumbs up and went back to sitting on his hat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

Awesome, thanks @Chandler#81! My all-time favorite Bill as well. Loved pretending to be him as a kid, catching tip-toe passes on the sidelines.

I hadn't realized he had caught passes from so many great QBs. Really cool to see him catch one from Pastorini, another of my favorites growing up, though for reasons I'm not sure. Maybe I just liked his name?

Probably one of my favorites of his as well. It was featured on the opening of a weekly show, was it Inside the NFL? I was really hoping they'd have that one in there.

yeah, Inside the NFL used it for quite some time. It's a great shot.

7 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Seemed like every game he played showcased his marvelous footwork -AFTER making a difficult catch!

4 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Still wear my blue Chandler 81 on many a fall Sunday.

Holy Schikees! ME TOO! Loved when the team went to the blue throwbacks. Ordered one quickly. Still wear it to this day!

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Holy Schikees! ME TOO! Loved when the team went to the blue throwbacks. Ordered one quickly. Still wear it to this day!

It's the only Bills jersey I have.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

One of my favorite all-time Bills.  My brother and I had crappy end zone seats for the next to last game of the 1973 season.  High school classmate was on the field clearing snow in between plays.  OJ ran for over 200 yards setting up the record breaking 2003 yard season the next week against the Jets.  Chandler caught two TDs right in front of us.  Great game, great time!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

🏈🏆🥇

AWESOME! 

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

One of my favorite all-time Bills.  My brother and I had crappy end zone seats for the next to last game of the 1973 season.  High school classmate was on the field clearing snow in between plays.  OJ ran for over 200 yards setting up the record breaking 2003 yard season the next week against the Jets.  Chandler caught two TDs right in front of us.  Great game, great time!  

One of which was a patented toe-tapper at the back of the Endzone!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

🏈🏆🥇

AWESOME! 

Had to be humbling on the home front:

As far as she was concerned, Chandler's wife, Marilyn, didn't care that he'd posed for the picture—what the heck, $10,000 is $10,000—but she asked him in genuine amazement, "Why do they want you?"

😂

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

My little brother and I were there, age 12 and 9. We would dash through the stadium following the Bills up and down the field.

Big kickoff return TD, OJ romping for 200 and Chandler with 2 tds. I remember the frenzied electric crowd. That was an amazing day!

• Like (+1) 1