DeSantis For President in 2024?

3 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Agreed 100%. 

Meatball's campaign is just totally forced. The "fundraising" is just from corporate fat cats betting on him in hopes their bribes will pay off, which is similar to what happened as you mentioned with Jeb Bush.

At the end of the day the people are the ones who vote and regardless of how many bribes Meatball takes from billionaires, voters aren't wowed by that

Right, that's why the left is freaking out over DeSantis.  They're even calling him worse than Trump. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

At the end of the day the people are the ones who vote and regardless of how many bribes Meatball takes from billionaires, voters aren't wowed by that

truth as seen by corporate bidens  run getting 81 million votes.

19 hours ago, Pokebball said:

You don't think the door is closing on Trump then?

I think Trump is vulnerable.   I also don't think DeSantis is going to be the candidate to overtake him.  

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Steve Bannon:  “DeSantis is a little bit on the spectrum”

I hate to give the source any credit, but ... he may have a point here.

Even if not "on the spectrum," we're probably dealing with an introvert. Which is not at all a bad thing. 

But that introvert needs to get past not one, but two of the biggest loudmouth extroverts on the planet in Trump and then Biden ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

47 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hate to give the source any credit, but ... he may have a point here.

Even if not "on the spectrum," we're probably dealing with an introvert. Which is not at all a bad thing. 

But that introvert needs to get past not one, but two of the biggest loudmouth extroverts on the planet in Trump and then Biden ...

Introverts don't seek public office.  Much less the Presidency.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

that is not true. For some its the family business and they dont know anything else (JFK, Jeb Bush), for others they aren't super successful at anything in the public sector so they run for office (DeSantis, Hillary Clinton)

I know several here have knocked you for reading comprehension. I guess that’s on SUNY-Amherst. Are you actually trying to claim the people you list as introverts? As your leader would say, c’mon man!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

Oh absolutely. Jeb Bush, DeSantis, & Hillary are all strong introverts. JFK was a little before my time but I watched an interview with Richard Nixon later in his life and he said JFK was a big time introvert, unlike his brothers

SUNY owes you a refund. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Introverts don't seek public office.  Much less the Presidency.

Jeb Bush, Mike Dukakis, Barack Obama (a more complicated case, but read up on him; he was always much more of an introvert), Hillary Clinton, Al Gore ... just some over the past decades who immediately come to mind. I would guess that introverts actually dominate politics. They are the policy wonks who start off as legislative aides and try to work their way up into their boss's offices. They learn skills for dealing with people that emulate the natural, glad-handing extroverts. For every true extrovert like Biden in the Senate there are probably a dozen Michael Bennets.

I will agree that presidential elections greatly favor extroverts, particularly in modern times. I'm not sure this is a good thing.

13 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Oh absolutely. Jeb Bush, DeSantis, & Hillary are all strong introverts. JFK was a little before my time but I watched an interview with Richard Nixon later in his life and he said JFK was a big time introvert, unlike his brothers, and people got him all wrong.**

--

**Also made me realize how shittty politicians are today. Nixon is widely seen as the most corrupt douche ever and yet he was a respectful, eloquent dude in that interview

You beat me to it. Nixon of course is a prime example of an introvert who made it to the top office.

JFK? Umm, that strikes me more as one of those extroverts who likes to pretend that he enjoys quiet time with a book if the woman he was trying to seduce at the moment thought that made him more attractive ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

While it’s easy to say an individual is either an extrovert, introvert or ambivert based on personality assessments, in reality, the multi-faceted nature of all behavior and the underlying contributors make such an assessment something of a broad-brush approach.

The human brain remains the most complex structure in the known universe. With 100 billion neurons, ever-fluctuating neurochemical levels alongside inheritable and learned components of behavior and not to mention dynamic stimuli as we move through life, our characteristics are much more complex than the binary or ternary intro/extro/ambivert distinction suggests.

Introvert vs Extrovert: A Look at the Spectrum and Psychology (positivepsychology.com)

6 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

While it’s easy to say an individual is either an extrovert, introvert or ambivert based on personality assessments, in reality, the multi-faceted nature of all behavior and the underlying contributors make such an assessment something of a broad-brush approach.

On this much we agree. It is a spectrum, a sliding scale, whatever you want to call it.

Working hypothesis: extremes on the Introvert-Extrovert scale don't make for successful presidencies.

(exception that proves the rule: Clinton, an extreme extrovert, who I think had a generally successful presidency)

23 hours ago, Doc said:

Right, that's why the left is freaking out over DeSantis.  They're even calling him worse than Trump. :lol: 

Freaking out? You’re the one defending Al Gore 2.0 non stop.

DeSaster’s six week abortion ban already ended his candidacy.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

On this much we agree. It is a spectrum, a sliding scale, whatever you want to call it.

Working hypothesis: extremes on the Introvert-Extrovert scale don't make for successful presidencies.

(exception that proves the rule: Clinton, an extreme extrovert, who I think had a generally successful presidency)

Extremes, maybe. I would agree with the folks above that anyone running for high office is an extrovert. probably extreme.

4 hours ago, Chris farley said:

Extremes, maybe. I would agree with the folks above that anyone running for high office is an extrovert. probably extreme.

Maybe a topic for another discussion (it’s a good one), but I’d have to disagree. Introverts don’t dislike people, and they’re not necessarily poor public speakers - in fact many (Obama) are superb at that. They just don’t necessarily feel the need to be around a lot of other people, and for politicians this sometimes means they have to force themselves to do the glad-handing, working the crowd thing. 
I’ve always thought that successful politicians are typically either good speech makers or good work the crowd types. Rarely do you find both in the same politician. Maybe Reagan fit that description?

In my voting life:

- Carter: good with his crowds, boring/weak public speaker

- Reagan: had a gift for both

- Bush 41: had a gift for neither

- Clinton: superb “I feel your pain”

work the crowd guy. Cure for insomnia as a public speaker

- Bush 43: see Carter

- Obama: excellent inspirational speaker, for better at working the crowd but never quite there

Trump: great at working the crowd, never translated well to formal speeches

Biden: the gladhander to end all gladhanders. Cringeworthy as a speech maker 

10 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

that is not true. For some its the family business and they dont know anything else (JFK, Jeb Bush), for others they aren't super successful at anything in the private sector so they run for office (DeSantis, Obama, Hillary Clinton) 

Just to clarify, are you saying JFK was an introvert?

9 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I would guess that introverts actually dominate politics.

I would guess narcissists dominate politics.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Disney’s “defiance” of Don’t Say Gay is nothing of the sort.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is now running for president, and it’s funny the number of people declaring he’s worse than Trump when the former president was “literally Hitler.”

There are two things he’s known for—and blasted for in the media—in particular. One is the so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law and the other is his feud with Disney.

The media has made a lot about both of those, and there’s no doubt they’ll be something he has to address in the coming months on the campaign trail.

So imagine how excited when they got to write about Disney’s “Gay Days.”

Tens of thousands of people flocked to “Gay Days” events in Disney in defiance of the theme park’s legal row with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ and his so-called “Don’t Say Gay” legal crackdown.

A sea of red shirts — many emblazoned with “Say Gay” or “Don’t say DeSantis” — descended on Orlando from Saturday for the half-week of pool parties, rides and drag bingo to mark the start of Pride month.

It was a clear stand against presidential nominee DeSantis, whose legislation and legal feud with Disney sparked LGBTQ+ rights organizations to issue travel warnings over the Sunshine State.

Now, I love a good act of defiance. It’s a central theme in a lot of the fiction I enjoy and even a lot of my favorite historical moments, so I should be all up on this one.

Except, they’re apparently defying what the media has billed the law as, not what it really is.

The so-called Don’t Say Gay law simply mandates that discussions of sexuality need to be held off until it’s age appropriate. That’s pretty much it.

It’s perfectly legal to say “gay” in Florida. Disney’s Gay Days have been held for years upon years and the law has absolutely no mechanism attempting to thwart such a thing.

So, how are they defying the law when the law has nothing to do with their actions?

The truth of the matter is that while there are grounds to criticize any law you care to name, we often see certain laws that shouldn’t be controversial framed like this. In this case, requiring discussions of gender and sexuality to wait until a child is a bit older is framed as no one being allowed to say “gay” or how constitutional carry, which only applies to law-abiding citizens, is framed as “criminal carry.”

Then the media pretends normal events that have been going on for years are suddenly an act of defiance. Especially as the participants pretend they’re being oppressed by the law when they’re not.

It’s all about framing things. Most people don’t actually read articles. They read headlines and pretend they understand what’s going on. These publications know it, too.

I’ve had things I wrote have more shares than views in the past, after all, and that only happens if people aren’t reading the story in question. Don’t tell me they don’t know this is happening.

What’s more, don’t tell me they don’t capitalize on it, either.

Disney is doing what it’s doing. No one really cares, least of all Ron DeSantis least of all.

But the media is going to try to make this a story even when they know damn good and well it’s not.

https://tomknighton.substack.com/p/disneys-defiance-of-dont-say-gay