If Rousseau was eligible for the 2020 NFL draft he goes #20 max

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

speculation.....it seems like there is a consensus that this years draft was lacking in talent compared to most because of Covid.  The Bills went for measurables and a guy that is a project who has high upside but is also a risk.  I doubt he would have went 20 max but we will also never know....lets see what he becomes.  I have faith in this coaching staff to develop players so I am optimistic.

The Bills drafting under this regime reminds me of Ozzy Newsome’s drafting style with the Ravens.  Swing for the fences early and don’t worry about whiffing.  When there wasn’t an obvious choice that fell to him he usually went with a high risk, high reward prospect.  That worked out for him a lot, but he had his share of misses too.

For the record I see Allen, Edmunds and Rousseau very much fitting that philosophy.  Basham not so much.  Tre was like Ozzy’s Reed pick.  How is this guy still on the board?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

OP got the player's name correct.  Points for that!  Which is more than can be said for some...🤨

Yes, but "Gred" earns points for randomness for combining "Greg" and "red".

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

even if he was eligible, how does he go "20, max"?  Ahead of Chaisson?  

Yes this is part of the arguable statement

Chaisson was also considered a raw and an unfinished product similar to the 2021 DE class, he played only 9 more games in college than Rousseau, both were developmental propects

Chaisson played well against higher level tackles, Rousseau played against lesser talent

Rousseau would have been riding in the draft with the hype of his 15.5 sack season of production 

Chaisson rode in on strong play in the big games and college football playoff run

Rousseau was considered at that time to be a potential top 10 prospect to watch in the upcoming season prior to his opt out

Both were leaders and had good character

Both had some of the accompanying boom or bust chatter for Chaisson it was that his production did not match his talent for Rousseau it was that he lucked into his production or that his production came playing against weak talent

Yes he could have been selected at #20 ahead of Chaisson

And if Chaisson was still selected at 20 then Rousseau would be the next DE off the board and gets drafted earlier than 30 as he did in the 2021 draft

5 hours ago, Uncle Vontae said:

Chaisson was also considered a raw and an unfinished product similar to the 2021 DE class, he played only 9 more games in college than Rousseau, both were developmental propects

Chaisson played well against higher level tackles, Rousseau played against lesser talent

Rousseau would have been riding in the draft with the hype of his 15.5 sack season of production 

Chaisson rode in on strong play in the big games and college football playoff run

Rousseau was considered at that time to be a potential top 10 prospect to watch in the upcoming season prior to his opt out

Both had some of the accompanying boom or bust chatter for Chaisson it was that his production did not match his talent for Rousseau it was that he lucked into his production or that his production came playing against weak talent

And if Chaisson was still selected at 20 then Rousseau would be the next DE off the board and gets drafted earlier than 30 as he did in the 2021 draft

Most mocks had Chaisson gone before 20.  

Any team who missed out on Rousseau in 2020 had a chance to pick him in 2021.  He went 30th in a weaker DE draft.

I don't see any way Rousseau is drafted ahead of Chaisson in 2020.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If I look at my top 6 edge grades across the last two drafts it is:

1. Chase Young (the only one across two classes I have a 1st round grade on). 

2. K'Lavon Chaisson (1st / 2nd borderline)

3. Kwity Paye (1st / 2nd borderline)

4. Jaelen Phillips (high 2nd)

5. AJ Epenesa (high 2nd)

6. Gregory Rousseau (high 2nd)

Basically #2 to #6 are within 0.2 points of each other by my grading system. It is Young and then a load of closely bunched guys. 

Just for completeness Basham would be my #19 edge across the last two classes. 

Rousseau will be the defense’s version of Josh Allen. Will take a minute for the light to turn on, but when it do….

11 hours ago, Uncle Vontae said:

Nice try, but saying it's "20, max" isn't saying that you think it's arguable. If it's arguable, then it's not the max, is it?

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills drafting under this regime reminds me of Ozzy Newsome’s drafting style with the Ravens.  Swing for the fences early and don’t worry about whiffing.  When there wasn’t an obvious choice that fell to him he usually went with a high risk, high reward prospect.  That worked out for him a lot, but he had his share of misses too.

For the record I see Allen, Edmunds and Rousseau very much fitting that philosophy.  Basham not so much.  Tre was like Ozzy’s Reed pick.  How is this guy still on the board?

Gotta say, I disagree with your evaluation of OBD's style.

Allen indeed seemed high risk high reward. But with nearly all of them, that's what you get when you pick a QB in the 1st round. But Edmunds always appeared to have a medium to high floor. Never seemed high risk. My guess on Rousseau is that if he'd been taken earlier than he was he could have been seen as high risk, but at #30, he was solid value, medium risk, medium to high reward.

I don't see Beane as a guy who takes big risks early. If anything he's more of a value guy, trying to minimize risk and get guys who are good fits for scheme and for Bills types. He appears to try to get high ceilings as part of the package if he can.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe this was posted here back around the time of the draft but this is an interesting article by Brentley Weissman of The Draft Network which appeared there on 4/8.  I think he underplays the part that relatively mediocre pro day workout numbers he posted had on creating his drop in most ratings but he had him #11 on his draft board.  I'll say this, when a 19 year old has a season like he had in 2019 it likely points to there being something special about him.

WHY HAS GREGORY ROUSSEAU FALLEN SO FAR?

The conclusion:

"At the end of the day, Rousseau’s rare length, agility, and sheer power allow him to make plays that other defenders simply can’t. Do I wish he was quicker twitched and had more of a sample size to go off of? Sure. However, I struggle to see why folks are down on this player when, for the most part, his tape is excellent—and from a physical traits standpoint, he has it all."

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/6/2021 at 3:02 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Vontae,

As you’re new at least in posting, you might want to hang back, read the posters and just reply for awhile,

as thus was a rookie mistake.  Not a big deal, but others who were new made the same mistakes.  You certainly won’t be the last.

If you don't, you might be retired by halftime (ba-dum-tis)