Chris Sims says that Gred Rousseau and Boogie Basham are on this top 5 draft bust list

todd

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't see Boogie as a boom or bust guy. I see him as a pretty safe player but not much of a high ceiling guy.

I'm with you, pretty safe, smart, pick to me.  They don't really define bust.  For Rousseau he says he didn't see him being a top 30 player, that's not a bust.  And Boogie seems very safe to not only make the team but be a solid rotational player in his first year.

If these two become rotational players that allow the Bills to jettison Addison and Butler next year, they are producing a financial benefit to the Bills.  To me the odds are strongly in their favor to do at least that.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It is important to note to those who are here infrequently or are new here that this is a very pro Big Lebowski and Roadhouse Board.  Although I wish there were more Swingers quotes, the above are perfectly acceptable for most forms of commenting.

We should change the “Agree” vote to “You’re so money!” 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Simms in his assessment seems to think so

When I look at highlights of Rousseau, I see a player creating his own havoc. I don't see players just landing in his path!

On 7/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

Those snippets dont have any detailed analysis of the players but I will give Simms the benefit of the doubt as he typically bases his opinions on actual viewing and analysis. I hope he is wrong too. We need to hit on at least one of Basham and Rousseau else we are mighty thin at the position for this and future seasons

Hughes is getting on in years -something I’m quite familiar with, he’ll needs a breather now & again. But what we’re talking about here is replacing Trent Murphy and spelling Addison. We haven’t had a decent DE since Mario quit playing before his final season here, yet we’re typically middle of the pack with sacks, thanks to clever blitz schemes. Should it turn out that  Rousseau, Boogie & A.J. are just run of the mill schelpers, well, that’s where the bar here has been set for years..🤷‍♂️ 

23 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I guess it depends on you’re expectations of what you think a person at the end of the first and second round would be in the NFL.  I’m expecting they grow into significant contributors in the NFL, but every draft is a calculated gamble.  Beane has provided for a great deal of competition at this position, and I didn’t see that many other defensive linemen picked after our pics I expect will be incredible in the NFL.

I was hoping for at least a couple of high impact contributors, but the chances were better at other positions.  Like every year it’s a wait and see.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There are reasons on Rousseau's film that he went at #30 and he was a risky pick in the sense that you needed to project a bit for his development. In 2019 he definitely showed a better understanding of how to to use his leverage when inside against smaller guards and centers than when outside in space against bigger tackles. Now on the face of it you would think that can be developed as the same principles should apply to a large extent but you didn't get the chance to see it because of the opt out.

I was not a fan of Basham's film. I have gone over the reasons why lots of times. I had a high 3rd on him. Didn't hate the value where the Bills took him but was not surprised he fell to them there. I suspect a lot of other teams saw him the way I saw him but I always acknowledged the Bills might be a fit as might the Jets and 49ers because they all have this tendency (well for the Jets and 49ers Saleh does) for bigger base ends in their 4 man front. There are a lot of 4-3 teams who would have looked at Basham's tape and said "doesn't display the bend or technique to play defensive end in our scheme" and moved on. Simms does acknowledge at the end of his summary on Basham that Buffalo was a decent landing spot for him because the coaches will have a way if using him. That might just have been a nod to McDermott and Frazier but from a scheme perspective Buffalo will have a use for Basham in the way other teams might not have. 

** 2 of my favorite posters.

For reference, when we drafted late in the early 90’s -cuz we were good, we took 2 DEs in the the ‘hit or miss’ category. 

Leon ‘Dr. 1 Sack’ Seals and some Midwest plow boy from N.Dakota State, Wall of Famer, Phil Hanson. Should this new trio of hopefuls join the long list of ‘Lawson-esgue’ DEs not earning a 2nd contract, well, there’s only 1 who did..

Thanks, fellas, for bringing the levity. You make this place better 👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

Simms had Jaylon Ferguson as a top 7 edge rusher in 2019, and in 2021, he's already facing a make or break season. Simms gives us an educated guess. That's his job. It's a guess.

In fairness I loved him too. He was a top 40 player on my board. 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, Billy Claude said:

Sorry I just don't see it.

I define click-bait as saying something outrageous that the author does not believe in, solely to generate traffic to their website, for example, anything that Skip Bayless says.  I don't see how this particular instance meets this criteria.

(1) Almost by definition a high ceiling, low floor, developmental prospect is going to have a higher bust probability.  It doesn't mean its a bad pick, just a riskier one.  In any case, it is not then surprising that this pick will be on some people's list of likely busts.  So if someone was soley trying to generate clicks, I don't think they would have picked Rousseau.

(2) I don't think that Beane has reached such an exalted position that any criticism of him will automatically draw attention -- maybe five years from now but now now.  I find it difficult to believe that Simms put Rousseau on his list simply because he was picked by Brandon Beane.

I am not saying Simms put a great deal of thought into his list, nor whether I feel that Rousseau is or is not a good pick, simply that I don't think it meets my definition of click-bait.

Agreed.  In some sense all these sorts of lists are "clickbait", but Simms is not one who throws out crazy takes just for the sake of clicks.  For what it's worth, in his post-draft analysis, Simms said he did not really love Rousseau, but he absolutely understood why the Bills selected him and acknowledged that it could turn out to be a great pick, especially for a guy taken at the end of round 1. 

• Agree 1

I don't necessarily disagree with Sims for a couple of reasons:

1) It's a very low probability that both Basham and Rousseau will develop into above average/probowl caliber NFL players. Even for both to be serviceable role players/backups is highly unlikely.

2) For as much success this regime has had turning around the offense, they've missed badly so far on the defensive side with both draft picks and FA signings. And so far guys like Oliver, Epineza, Edmunds, Addison, etc have not justified their draft status and/or contract. And the two best players we have and resigned were not drafted by Beane and his front office/scouting team even if you want to give an assist to McDermott for White and Milano.

Either way hopefully one of them turns out to be a legit NFL starter and can average @ 10 sacks a season even if the other busts outright or it severely impacts this teams future especially considering how much money will soon be tied up in Allen and other key players.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I just can’t see how someone thinks boogie will bust. His production in college and the hustle he demonstrated shows he will be at least a solid to good end. Coupled with his draft slot, the dude would need to be out of the league after his second season 

Well, the thing with Basham is that he will turn 24 during his rookie season..........he's unusually old for a "top prospect".......so there is something of an ACTUAL man amongst boys factor in his college tape.

And it's not like he was obliterating the level of competition as a 22 or 23 year old..........it's fair to question how much upside he has.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well, the thing with Basham is that he will turn 24 during his rookie season..........he's unusually old for a "top prospect".......so there is something of an ACTUAL man amongst boys factor in his college tape.

And it's not like he was obliterating the level of competition as a 22 or 23 year old..........it's fair to question how much upside he has.

Good point 

I could not disagree more.

Rosseau has a very unique skillset and physical gifts you cannot teach.

Basham dominated in college and the only knock is that he needed a push at times.

Rosseau, if he had not opted out last year likely would have been an earlier 1st round pick.

Basham will do well with the veterans around him pushing his ceiling.

Both have shown they can get into the backfield and make stops behind the LOS where the Bills have struggled a bit.

Both are in good situations to grow and this FO generally gives their early round picks a few years too develop.

Waaaay to early to judge how effective they will be for this team, but makes good talk show fodder.

7 hours ago, WideNine said:

I could not disagree more.

Rosseau has a very unique skillset and physical gifts you cannot teach.

Basham dominated in college and the only knock is that he needed a push at times.

Rosseau, if he had not opted out last year likely would have been an earlier 1st round pick.

Basham will do well with the veterans around him pushing his ceiling.

Both have shown they can get into the backfield and make stops behind the LOS where the Bills have struggled a bit.

Both are in good situations to grow and this FO generally gives their early round picks a few years too develop.

Waaaay to early to judge how effective they will be for this team, but makes good talk show fodder.

Unique = 1 of a kind. Something can’t be very unique..🤦‍♂️

On 7/5/2021 at 7:14 AM, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with Simms logic.  Picking late in rounds 1 and 2....yea, teams, any team, will have hits and misses for sure.  However, if I had to place a bet on Simms and his views vs Beane / The Bills A+ Scouting / The Roster in place to let these players grow, give me Beane and the Bills all the way.

not bothering clicking the link…

Rousseau was a concessions  early top 5-7 draft pick.