Chris Sims says that Gred Rousseau and Boogie Basham are on this top 5 draft bust list

todd

On 7/7/2021 at 1:00 PM, mannc said:

Agreed.  In some sense all these sorts of lists are "clickbait", but Simms is not one who throws out crazy takes just for the sake of clicks.  For what it's worth, in his post-draft analysis, Simms said he did not really love Rousseau, but he absolutely understood why the Bills selected him and acknowledged that it could turn out to be a great pick, especially for a guy taken at the end of round 1. 

Of course he is.  His annual preseason QB rank is proof--especially last year.  Some of his off the wall picks are the basis for page after page of google links to articles that comment on Simms's takes.  Look up "Chris Simms ranks Hill" and you can keep hitting "next" at the bottom of each page to see the internet reacting to the stuff--for this year's and last year's lists.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

not bothering clicking the link…

Rousseau was a concessions  early top 5-7 draft pick.

huh?

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course he is.  His annual preseason QB rank is proof--especially last year.  Some of his off the wall picks are the basis for page after page of google links to articles that comment on Simms's takes.  Look up "Chris Simms ranks Hill" and you can keep hitting "next" at the bottom of each page to see the internet reacting to the stuff--for this year's and last year's lists.

It's not a crazy, clickbait take just because you (and others on social media) disagree with it.  He ranked Hill higher than a bunch of rookies who had not played in the league.  Big deal.  We still don't know if Hill is going to be a good QB or not; he hasn't played more than a handful of games and I'm not sure he's ever started one.  What did Simms rank him this year? 27? 28?  Doesn't seem crazy to me. 

4 hours ago, mannc said:

It's not a crazy, clickbait take just because you (and others on social media) disagree with it.  He ranked Hill higher than a bunch of rookies who had not played in the league.  Big deal.  We still don't know if Hill is going to be a good QB or not; he hasn't played more than a handful of games and I'm not sure he's ever started one.  What did Simms rank him this year? 27? 28?  Doesn't seem crazy to me. 

They were other website (mostly sports websites) who picked up on his list last year~~specifically because he even included Hill at 36 of 40.  

THIS year he needed to outdo himself so he moved up Hill 12 spots to 24! That’s a joke.  Forget rookies, look ar the other QBs behind this gadget backup.  

Simms makes money by getting views and listeners.  He would say so too.  Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious.  

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Apparently a relative of Levon Bell.

concession or consensus,no one had him going 5-7 in the 1st

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

concession or consensus,no one had him going 5-7 in the 1st

I agree 5-7 would be way too high, but the original poster said he was an "early top 5-7 draft pick", which is true:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-why-selecting-miamis-gregory-rousseau-in-first-round-is-a-big-mistake/

"Per Benjamin Robinson of GrindingTheMocks.com, Rousseau started early mock drafts inside the top 5, and while he's gradually dipped, he's currently a staple inside the top 20. "

I'm just the messenger.

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

I agree 5-7 would be way too high, but the original poster said he was an "early top 5-7 draft pick", which is true:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-why-selecting-miamis-gregory-rousseau-in-first-round-is-a-big-mistake/

"Per Benjamin Robinson of GrindingTheMocks.com, Rousseau started early mock drafts inside the top 5, and while he's gradually dipped, he's currently a staple inside the top 20. "

I'm just the messenger.

Early mock drafts are meaningless though. Basically when it comes to the draft pretty much everything you hear from the media before the Senior Bowl about where prospects will go and how high their stock is can be disregarded. Equally most things you hear post the start of the league year are worthless too. There is a very narrow 6 or 7 week window where stuff is worth listening to. That is the time when teams are setting boards and when the media and personnel guys are having informal chats and you get bits of truth. Once the league year starts and free agency happens you are pretty much in lying season. 

So yes, there were mocks that had Rousseau in the top 10. But at a point of the year where they mean literally absolutely nothing. I will give you another example from this year... in January I saw mock drafts with Aaron Robinson of UCF as a first round corner and Greg Newsome of Northwestern as a 3rd rounder. I said there and then - that is the wrong way round. And sure enough when the draft media started to talk to teams Newsome rose and Robinson fell. Where did they end up going? Newsome in round 1 and Robinson in round 3. All that changed in between was the media began actually talking to decision makers in teams. 

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, chongli said:

I'm just the messenger.

I assumed he meant early in the 1st round.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2021 at 6:14 AM, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with Simms logic.  Picking late in rounds 1 and 2....yea, teams, any team, will have hits and misses for sure.  However, if I had to place a bet on Simms and his views vs Beane / The Bills A+ Scouting / The Roster in place to let these players grow, give me Beane and the Bills all the way.

Drafting late in the round and targeting a prototype at a premium position is taking a big swing for the fences, and not just trying to put a ball in play to get on base. 

in turn it comes with being put on both the bust and value lists and not just quietly sliding under the radar.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Early mock drafts are meaningless though. Basically when it comes to the draft pretty much everything you hear from the media before the Senior Bowl about where prospects will go and how high their stock is can be disregarded. Equally most things you hear post the start of the league year are worthless too. There is a very narrow 6 or 7 week window where stuff is worth listening to. That is the time when teams are setting boards and when the media and personnel guys are having informal chats and you get bits of truth. Once the league year starts and free agency happens you are pretty much in lying season. 

So yes, there were mocks that had Rousseau in the top 10. But at a point of the year where they mean literally absolutely nothing. I will give you another example from this year... in January I saw mock drafts with Aaron Robinson of UCF as a first round corner and Greg Newsome of Northwestern as a 3rd rounder. I said there and then - that is the wrong way round. And sure enough when the draft media started to talk to teams Newsome rose and Robinson fell. Where did they end up going? Newsome in round 1 and Robinson in round 3. All that changed in between was the media began actually talking to decision makers in teams. 

When Matt Barkley and Logan Thomas were the consensus top 2 QB's in their potential draft class(I believe 2013).........that was more because one had numbers and the other had measurables.........but neither had both.

That's a recipe for a really bad early mock.

I tend to look at the first round of summer mocks as more of an early round outline..........most of the players will go in the first few rounds.........some will go early like they were projected to though so "meaningless" might be a bit too broad of a term.

Go back to Matt Miller's pre-2019 season mock and he had Chase Young and Justin Herbert and Jerry Jeudy in his top 10.

He also had AJ Epenesa in there too though..........I think Rousseau was a better prospect than AJ at similar stages.........AJ was a slow developer who had just started to put up good numbers to match his 5 star recruit hype........Rousseau was a transition from offense that proved a quick study with HUGE production. 

On 7/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Unique = 1 of a kind. Something can’t be very unique..🤦‍♂️

Slow times at TBD to draw out the strict followers of the Tao of grammarian Joseph Wright. Not sure why I drew out this character flaw with my casual comments about our new rookies.

"'Unique' is often cited as a word that should never be modified, as its original meanings were "being the only one" and "unequaled." But 'unique' has another meaning, "unusual," and it's common to modify the word when it's used this way." - Merriam Webster

....as in Rousseau has a very unique skillset (very unusual or very uncommon) in regards to his length combined with great hand use, ability to bend, and ridiculous stride. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️