Chris Sims says that Gred Rousseau and Boogie Basham are on this top 5 draft bust list

todd

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's click-bait because

1) the Bills were in the AFC championship game and pretty clearly needed better QB pressure to go further. 

So 2nd-guessing their efforts in that regard is news

2) Brandon Beane just won several awards as the Bills GM, including Sporting News Executive of the Year and PFWA Executive of the Year. So 2nd-guessing his top-two draft picks is "edgy"

Looked a lot like the more standard definition, "something to generate traffic to their website", and that you were arguing that predicting a top-10 pick to bust was a more effective strategy.  I disagree and explained why.

You left out an important part of the standard definition of click-bait -- that click-bait has the defining characteristic of being deceptive, sensationalized or misleading.  If the definition is solely "something to generate traffic to their website" than any sports piece on the internet is click-bait since that is the only reason the writers are getting paid. 

So are you are arguing that because the Bills are a championship level team and that Beane won some awards any second guessing of the Bills and Brandon Beane must solely to be to be "edgy" and therefore dishonest?

Sorry, but I don't believe that simply being skeptical of Brandon Beanes's draft picks is sufficient to rise to the level of being deceptive, misleading, or sensationalized.

Edited by Billy Claude

I guess it depends on you’re expectations of what you think a person at the end of the first and second round would be in the NFL.  I’m expecting they grow into significant contributors in the NFL, but every draft is a calculated gamble.  Beane has provided for a great deal of competition at this position, and I didn’t see that many other defensive linemen picked after our pics I expect will be incredible in the NFL.

I was hoping for at least a couple of high impact contributors, but the chances were better at other positions.  Like every year it’s a wait and see.

17 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s the end of the offseason and there’s almost nothing to talk about that hasn’t been said already…unless of course someone wants to comment on Ertz? Anyone?

Should we start a new Ertz thread ?? 

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Todd, are you going to change Greg’s name to Gred?  Just askin.

I've started a GoFundMe fundraiser and an online petition to do so. Please join the movement!

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m going to call b.s. on just how much “film” Simms has watched of these two DE prospects.  Rousseau was a risky pick for a couple of reasons (opt out, inexperience), but how he showed on film wasn’t one of them.  Same for Boogie — nothing but production for WF.

Simms probably felt he needed to pump the brakes on Buffalo with all of the Josh Allen ball washing.

16 minutes ago, eball said:

I’m going to call b.s. on just how much “film” Simms has watched of these two DE prospects.  Rousseau was a risky pick for a couple of reasons (opt out, inexperience), but how he showed on film wasn’t one of them.  Same for Boogie — nothing but production for WF.

Simms probably felt he needed to pump the brakes on Buffalo with all of the Josh Allen ball washing.

There are reasons on Rousseau's film that he went at #30 and he was a risky pick in the sense that you needed to project a bit for his development. In 2019 he definitely showed a better understanding of how to to use his leverage when inside against smaller guards and centers than when outside in space against bigger tackles. Now on the face of it you would think that can be developed as the same principles should apply to a large extent but you didn't get the chance to see it because of the opt out.

I was not a fan of Basham's film. I have gone over the reasons why lots of times. I had a high 3rd on him. Didn't hate the value where the Bills took him but was not surprised he fell to them there. I suspect a lot of other teams saw him the way I saw him but I always acknowledged the Bills might be a fit as might the Jets and 49ers because they all have this tendency (well for the Jets and 49ers Saleh does) for bigger base ends in their 4 man front. There are a lot of 4-3 teams who would have looked at Basham's tape and said "doesn't display the bend or technique to play defensive end in our scheme" and moved on. Simms does acknowledge at the end of his summary on Basham that Buffalo was a decent landing spot for him because the coaches will have a way if using him. That might just have been a nod to McDermott and Frazier but from a scheme perspective Buffalo will have a use for Basham in the way other teams might not have. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are reasons on Rousseau's film that he went at #30 and he was a risky pick in the sense that you needed to project a bit for his development. In 2019 he definitely showed a better understanding of how to to use his leverage when inside against smaller guards and centers than when outside in space against bigger tackles. Now on the face of it you would think that can be developed as the same principles should apply to a large extent but you didn't get the chance to see it because of the opt out.

I was not a fan of Basham's film. I have gone over the reasons why lots of times. I had a high 3rd on him. Didn't hate the value where the Bills took him but was not surprised he fell to them there. I suspect a lot of other teams saw him the way I saw him but I always acknowledged the Bills might be a fit as might the Jets and 49ers because they all have this tendency (well for the Jets and 49ers Saleh does) for bigger base ends in their 4 man front. There are a lot of 4-3 teams who would have looked at Basham's tape and said "doesn't display the bend or technique to play defensive end in our scheme" and moved on. Simms does acknowledge at the end of his summary on Basham that Buffalo was a decent landing spot for him because the coaches will have a way if using him. That might just have been a nod to McDermott and Frazier but from a scheme perspective Buffalo will have a use for Basham in the way other teams might not have. 

This is all well and good but Boogie was a late 2nd rounder who played at a high level in a power five conference.  It just seems like an odd guy for Simms to single out as a potential bust.  Pretty much everything I've read about Boogie suggests he has a reasonably high floor, taking him out of that "bust" conversation IMO.

Ed Oliver was the 9th overall pick in 2019.

In 7 game starts, 16 games played he had 5 sacks in 2019. In 2020 in 16 games, game starts he had 3 sacks. 

AJ Epenesa was a second round pick in 2020, 54th overall. one sack. Trading away that 2020 1st round pick pick for the NFLs leading yardage, receptions receiver in Diggs. 

I'd say these defensive players are still being developed in McD's and Leslie Frazier's scheme. Trust the process. With Star back on the line I'd think this season will be better for those two.

The NFL draft is a crapshoot and sometimes you hit... and sometimes you don't!

I'd say Brandon Beane's record on the draft has been pretty darn good so far. Just gotta wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 1

As a woeful excuse for an NFL QB, Simms only credentials as a talent evaluator is being related to father Phil. Why would anyone care what he thinks. He sounds like a propped up football expert on the NBC show where I can't imagine anyone being more prone to sensational comments to be controversial. He's just a shill drawing a pay check. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

This is all well and good but Boogie was a late 2nd rounder who played at a high level in a power five conference.  It just seems like an odd guy for Simms to single out as a potential bust.  Pretty much everything I've read about Boogie suggests he has a reasonably high floor, taking him out of that "bust" conversation IMO.

Yea I don't see Boogie as a boom or bust guy. I see him as a pretty safe player but not much of a high ceiling guy.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have a feeling they want Boogie to put on a little weight, maybe around that 290 area to rush from the inside.

• Agree 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:13 AM, billsbackto81 said:

On 7/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Brennan Huff said:

the dude your opinion GIF

It is important to note to those who are here infrequently or are new here that this is a very pro Big Lebowski and Roadhouse Board.  Although I wish there were more Swingers quotes, the above are perfectly acceptable for most forms of commenting.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Defensive end is one of the hardest positions to project from college to NFL.  Picking two highly drafted DEs who both have obvious limitations at current is fairly reasonable in my opinion. 

Rousseau needs 2 years to grow into his frame and develop NFL strength and some pass rushing moves.  He was a one year wonder in college.  Hes high ceiling, low floor.  Basham looks like hes ready to play today but his ceiling is much lower than Rousseau.  

Its hardly guaranteed that between Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham we have solved our pass rush issue.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Defensive end is one of the hardest positions to project from college to NFL.  Picking two highly drafted DEs who both have obvious limitations at current is fairly reasonable in my opinion. 

Rousseau needs 2 years to grow into his frame and develop NFL strength and some pass rushing moves.  He was a one year wonder in college.  Hes high ceiling, low floor.  Basham looks like hes ready to play today but his ceiling is much lower than Rousseau.  

Its hardly guaranteed that between Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham we have solved our pass rush issue.

I agree with this. I think the Bills feel like if they get 1 hit out of those 3 guys it is worth the investment such is the importance of the position.

• Like (+1) 1

Both of these players will exceed expectations in Year #1 because OLs haven't seen them and they are young and athletic.  They will get some sacks and run down some backs despite having limited moves.  They probably won't play much because the Bills will do the Espenesa training program - lots of learning and improving their physical condition.  

Year #2 is where you see what you have because to succeed as a defensive lineman, you need an array of moves + strength and players either develop or they end up like Takarist McKinley who is the exact same player he was in college.

I didn't like the Rousseau pick because he was lined up over center in just one season of play.   I think his sack numbers are exceptionally misleading.  For the majority , if not all of those sacks, he was lined up over center, taking on those centers, usually the smartest player on the line but not the strongest or fastest, and that's not where he's going to be in the pros.

• Like (+1) 1