Chris Sims says that Gred Rousseau and Boogie Basham are on this top 5 draft bust list

todd

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

That’s funny. When Simms talks glowingly about our qb, everyone loves him. But when he criticizes Rousseau and Basham, everyone feels negatively about him. Can’t really have it both ways. 

I think he makes valid points. Rousseau is a huge project and a big time boom or bust. He has ELITE physical tools that the Bills are betting on. Much like they did with Allen. It worked with Allen, and only time will tell if it will pay similar dividends with Rousseau. 

As for Basham…we will see there too. Another poster hit on the head with the reasonable floor, and low ceiling remark. I think this is how it will be with him. I was pretty upset with that pick, but I obviously hope he exceeds expectations and becomes a solid player for us. 

What's funny?  I don't recall Simms saying much about Josh prior to last season except for how the Bucs were sad that the Bills swooped-in and took him.  After he became elite, it's like "yeah, we know." 

He's touted many players who busted, including QBs, which is supposed to be his area of expertise.  Here again is his opinion.  So I'll wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Michael Holley is the guy who predicts our new DEs to be busts.   You know, the same Michael Holley who took three different teams to the SB as a GM.   

Oops...   No...   He's just another talking head.   

Don't care.

A Boston sports talking head at that. (WEEI)

7 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Are they busts if they don't immediate perform well their rookie season?  Rookie bust/boon calls are just reeeee-duculous.  C'mon Sims - do you really need click bait that badly??

This is why I ignore most of the stuff written between May and July. It's off-season filler. Articles meant to be read and forgotten immediately.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with Simms logic.  Picking late in rounds 1 and 2....yea, teams, any team, will have hits and misses for sure.  However, if I had to place a bet on Simms and his views vs Beane / The Bills A+ Scouting / The Roster in place to let these players grow, give me Beane and the Bills all the way.

I think that fundamentally, Brandon Beane's "DNA" as a GM and talent evaluator is to go with guys that he sees as having the highest physical potential and football IQ, and trust the coaching staff to develop them.  We see that with a lot of his top draft choices - Allen, Edmunds, etc

I think the telling question for Simms or anyone else second-guessing a draft is, "who else was there when we drafted that should have been better"?

Historically, over 50% of players bust, including players drafted in the 1st round.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is why I ignore most of the stuff written between May and July. It's off-season filler. Articles meant to be read and forgotten immediately.

Agreed.  It's tough though - this has to be the mot anticipated and hopefuly off season Bills fans have had in a Looooong time.  We're desperate - and writers know it!  Damn them! 🤪

Edited by Blainorama5

57 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think that I was very hopeful for JOK at 30.  As I was in the TBD Draft Thread that evening, I wasn't alone in that hope.  

A part of me, a part that I try to suppress, wonders if this wasn't an EJ Manuel type of draft.   A situation where the Bills FO decided on a position and not a player.  Even though that position group was very thin that particular year.   "McBeane" seemed to decide they wanted to "impact the passer".   But to me, an undeniably non-expert, this year's pass rushing group was thin.  And thus they may have reached for a concept, rather than putting the BPA on the roster.

On the other hand I could not help but notice that the two teams behind us in the draft, the SB teams,  also drafted pass rushers immediately after the Bills took #50GR.   And also that as I reviewed the highlights and video clips of young MR. Rousseau that I thought he looked pretty darn good.

So that is what I think about this subject.  

I agree.  I’d have loved JOK, but that ship probably sailed when they paid Milano.  He sure looked like the BPA at 30 though.

I think they took a big swing on GR.  I hated the pick and don’t think he amounts to much in the NFL, but the upside and potential is certainly there.  He just seems like the kind of prospect bad teams talk themselves into to fill a need, not the kind of pick I would have expected from this regime.

As for Basham, it depends on what the expectations are.  I see him as a rotational DE who can also kick inside if needed.  If people expect more than that then they’ll probably be disappointed.  That would not be especially great return on a second round pick, but there is certainly value in having a quality 3rd DE.  I don’t expect him to completely bust.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

What is the opinion on Rosseau had he played this last year and 'only' tallied say 10 sacks as opposed to the 15.5 the year before? That still would have been 25.5 sacks over two years for a guy that is a physical freak. Would he have been the consensus number one pass rusher?

I still think there would not have been a "consensus" #1 pass rusher. The reason teams were all over the map on these guys (I have heard as many as 5 different guys touted as being the top edge guy on different boards) is that none of them have that completely well rounded skillset - they all have strengths and weaknesses. More production in 2020 certainly wouldn't have hurt Rousseau and he may have gone earlier (if Rousseau plays is Jaelen Phillips as a 1st round pick even a thing?) but I am not sure it catapults him to sure fire #1 edge rusher status. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Simms has a knack for the outstanding click bait takes.  I don’t agree with him here, but appreciate his positive slant on Allen.  I have no idea what to think of our first two picks as they haven’t played a down in the NFL.  It’s most likely Basham gets on the field this year, and probably plays well for a rookie.  Rousseau will most likely be a package guy with the lack of experience.  He also needs to grow into his body.  I trust Beane as he’s been right a lot more than wrong.

This is really another summer slump month trying to continue to drum up NFL takes when it’s dead.

Enough with the clickbait argument. Not everything we disagree with is clickbait.

Simms doesn't operate that way. He wants to be a GM some day, that's what he's working towards. Clickbait will not help him. He does disagree with the common wisdom a pretty fair amount. But he never denies it later or says he's sure of it. He simply says what he feels. Plenty of room to disagree with him. He's been on target pretty well with QBs, even when he's not taking a popular stance. A bit less so with non-QBs, but he's still pretty smart.

I'm hopeful but not convinced on both guys. He could easily be right. Or the folks, yourself included, who disagree could just as easily be right.

My problem personally is that I can see it either way. Drives me crazy. Beane and the Bills are smart and good drafters. But not perfect, nobody is. I just don't know, myself.

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's funny?  I don't recall Simms saying much about Josh prior to last season except for how the Bucs were sad that the Bills swooped-in and took him.  After he became elite, it's like "yeah, we know." 

He's touted many players who busted, including QBs, which is supposed to be his area of expertise.  Here again is his opinion.  So I'll wait and see.

He absolutely was very strongly a Josh believer far before last season. Even back to his rookie year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Just click bait.....next thing you know, one of us will actually worry about what Kiper thinks about those guys.

I'm more concerned about the one vegetable that my cardiologist is begging us to throw out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Well I really don't expect either of them to come out the gate tearing it up their rookie years. Just would like to see them show some promise and make enough plays here and there when on the field to help the D.

If that happens they can build off that going forward as they learn and improve the following season and so forth. So will be interesting to see how it goes down.

• Agree 1