Chris Sims says that Gred Rousseau and Boogie Basham are on this top 5 draft bust list

todd

30 minutes ago, todd said:

There are not many of his takes on that list I agree with to be honest. I'm with him on Dyami Brown and Tyson Campbell. I was higher than the consensus on both of those guys. I am also with him on Asante Samuel being a but but not really for the same reasons. I think Samuel gets lost in zone and actually with his speed I feel better about saying to him "hey just go run with a guy". Other than that... not much we agree on. I'm not that high on Basham but I kinda feel the opposite to Simms' "boom or bust" assessment. I think Basham has a reasonable floor but a reasonably mediocre ceiling. So even where we might have similar views on players I get there quite differently to him. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with Simms logic.  Picking late in rounds 1 and 2....yea, teams, any team, will have hits and misses for sure.  However, if I had to place a bet on Simms and his views vs Beane / The Bills A+ Scouting / The Roster in place to let these players grow, give me Beane and the Bills all the way.

I don't think they will be busts here due to the team and coaches around them. But I'm not that high on either pick right now, especially for the upcoming season. I think both are projects that Beane and McD have alot of faith in. 

• Like (+1) 5

I'm feeling pretty confident about Rousseau. I remember when we drafted him, people on this board were like, 'oh all his sacks were coverage sacks, that doesn't count.' Or something to that effect. Really?!? That's funny because that's perfect for when McD runs his cover 3 and only has 4 people on the line and doesn't blitz a 5th player.  One of the best quotes from Sean when he was talking about Rousseau after we drafted him was "you don't just luck into 15.5 sacks."

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

Michael Holley is the guy who predicts our new DEs to be busts.   You know, the same Michael Holley who took three different teams to the SB as a GM.   

Oops...   No...   He's just another talking head.   

Don't care.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Opinions…

That’s funny. When Simms talks glowingly about our qb, everyone loves him. But when he criticizes Rousseau and Basham, everyone feels negatively about him. Can’t really have it both ways. 

I think he makes valid points. Rousseau is a huge project and a big time boom or bust. He has ELITE physical tools that the Bills are betting on. Much like they did with Allen. It worked with Allen, and only time will tell if it will pay similar dividends with Rousseau. 

As for Basham…we will see there too. Another poster hit on the head with the reasonable floor, and low ceiling remark. I think this is how it will be with him. I was pretty upset with that pick, but I obviously hope he exceeds expectations and becomes a solid player for us. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Simms has a knack for the outstanding click bait takes.  I don’t agree with him here, but appreciate his positive slant on Allen.  I have no idea what to think of our first two picks as they haven’t played a down in the NFL.  It’s most likely Basham gets on the field this year, and probably plays well for a rookie.  Rousseau will most likely be a package guy with the lack of experience.  He also needs to grow into his body.  I trust Beane as he’s been right a lot more than wrong.

This is really another summer slump month trying to continue to drum up NFL takes when it’s dead.

I think that I was very hopeful for JOK at 30.  As I was in the TBD Draft Thread that evening, I wasn't alone in that hope.  

A part of me, a part that I try to suppress, wonders if this wasn't an EJ Manuel type of draft.   A situation where the Bills FO decided on a position and not a player.  Even though that position group was very thin that particular year.   "McBeane" seemed to decide they wanted to "impact the passer".   But to me, an undeniably non-expert, this year's pass rushing group was thin.  And thus they may have reached for a concept, rather than putting the BPA on the roster.

On the other hand I could not help but notice that the two teams behind us in the draft, the SB teams,  also drafted pass rushers immediately after the Bills took #50GR.   And also that as I reviewed the highlights and video clips of young MR. Rousseau that I thought he looked pretty darn good.

So that is what I think about this subject.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, todd said:

Those snippets dont have any detailed analysis of the players but I will give Simms the benefit of the doubt as he typically bases his opinions on actual viewing and analysis. I hope he is wrong too. We need to hit on at least one of Basham and Rousseau else we are mighty thin at the position for this and future seasons

• Like (+1) 1