Isaiah McKenzie's Meat: ESPN article on La Traila BBQ

Met a buddy from Buffalo at Gulfstream Park a few weeks ago. Our plan was to go to Isiah's restaurant for some BBQ, but unfortunately for us it is one of those places that closes once it sells out. (At least according to its website at the time.)  We have a few places like that around here, too. They tend to be quite good. Unfortunately for us, by the time we were done at the track they had long sold out.

I see now the website says they close at 6PM or sell out. Still couldn't have made it there from Gulfstream in time.

As long as he is in shape and training, his BBQ business is keeping him focused on the future and building a successful life for himself. Where is the downside? Like he would be studying the playbook 12 hours a day right now?

Working hard and learning new skills is never a negative thing. 

23 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m 6’2 with an extensive history in bodybuilding and I warn you to never underestimate someone because of their height. My friend Ronnie is about as big as McKenzie but he grew up on a farm. He’s put me through multiple walls before, freakishly strong. I’m not saying height/size don’t matter but some of these smaller dudes are scrappy.

How good of a friend is he that he's put you through multiple walls?

48 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As long as he is in shape and training, his BBQ business is keeping him focused on the future and building a successful life for himself. Where is the downside? Like he would be studying the playbook 12 hours a day right now?

Working hard and learning new skills is never a negative thing. 

I could entirely be mistaken.  I'm just going off my memory of my In-laws when they started up and then successfully ran a small restaurant.  It was 6 days a week and they came home exhausted mentally and physically, too exhausted to take care of themselves with proper exercise and nutrition. 

I'm sure Lil' Dirty is still getting up and getting his workouts in.  He's just a guy I'm pulling for to take a step and I think if some of the other guys are 100% focused on drills and workouts to get better while he's calling up suppliers and meeting with his tax preparer and training employees, he may be stacking the odds against himself.

It's like when I was a student and working 20 hrs a week and competing for grades against both kids who were partying out and not working (no problem) and kids who were studying while I had to work (they beat my ass)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could entirely be mistaken.  I'm just going off my memory of my In-laws when they started up and then successfully ran a small restaurant.  It was 6 days a week and they came home exhausted mentally and physically, too exhausted to take care of themselves with proper exercise and nutrition. 

I'm sure Lil' Dirty is still getting up and getting his workouts in.  He's just a guy I'm pulling for to take a step and I think if some of the other guys are 100% focused on drills and workouts to get better while he's calling up suppliers and meeting with his tax preparer and training employees, he may be stacking the odds against himself.

It's like when I was a student and working 20 hrs a week and competing for grades against both kids who were partying out and not working (no problem) and kids who were studying while I had to work (they beat my ass)

I mean unless he's planning on retiring he has to have a plan in place for during the season when he can't really be there much at all. With how much he's seemed to be preparing in offseason so far working with the new punter so quick I don't think he'd let things slip right before things get going again.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"What is brisket?"????

WTF is going on down there?? 

From what I understand or have been told at least, it's a favorite main dish among the Jewish community the most.....

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

From what I understand or have been told at least, it's a favorite main dish among the Jewish community the most.....

If only there were such communities in Florida to educate these others on brisket....

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If only there were such communities in Florida to educate these others on brisket....

I've never had it before. Wifey and I talk about trying it, but never end up doing it. Iv'e been told it's really good, but idk.....

Has anyone here eaten at his place? 

33 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Seriously?

Ever been to Texas?

Ever eaten BBQ?

I slow cook it least six times a year.

i was seriously quoting the Floridians who asked “what is brisket?” in that article.

so…yeah.  We have brisket up here in NY too.  You should try it without the fancy ketchup sauce.  Tasty. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

i was seriously quoting the Floridians who asked “what is brisket?” in that article.

so…yeah.  We have brisket up here in NY too.  You should try it without the fancy ketchup sauce.  Tasty. 

Lol, yeah I was thinking to myself, how the ***** this dude don't know what a brisket is.....lol

That’s funny.  Everyone thinks oranges are our leading export in FL, but it’s historically been cattle.  We have Brisket in FL, but seafood is the popular thing in most areas.  Texas brisket is awesome though as well as ribs just like in Memphis, and KC.

Happy he’s starting a side venture.  Smart move on his part if he can make it work.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Frikkin Arby’s has ads for “brisket” on national TV.  

That's for true.....exactly reason I was smh wondering how you didn't know what a brisket was lol. I didn't know you were being sarcastic or whatnot, my psychic abilities are not working today for some reason.... lol

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Has anyone here eaten at his place? 

Yes

I have at one of his pop ups a while ago right know it is really hard to get some they sell out to fast

My cousins works for fire and rescue squad in Miami. I can stay at his place for free 😌 put he has been working on the pile since last week a it would not be cool to go and get ribs 😉while he is working there

• Like (+1) 1