Football Sunday. Bills 1st Ever AFC Title Game. Jan. ‘89

3 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Interesting - Kelly had 15 TD's an 17 picks that season, in his 3rd year with The Bills.  Would that last in the NFL today?

Most QB stats from 1988 wouldn't be looked upon favorably in today's game.

• Agree 1

My memory of that game was watching it from a ski lodge in Northern California. I went skiing because it never really occurred to me that the Bills were within a game of going to the Super Bowl. Back then it seemed like a dream and a destiny reserved for other franchises. Little did I know that all would change for the next half a decade. 

58 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

That delay of game on 4th down that nullified the 1st down completion to Lou Piccone still bothers me

(and that Bruce Smith was out because had flu and had not his flu shot)

I think you're thinking about a different game, probably the playoff game against the Steelers when the Bills were trying to make it to the SB for the fifth time.

30 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I loved the edge Derrick Burroughs played with, but that personal foul was a killer.

The Burroughs PF was the dagger, but what killed the Bills in that game was the string of injuries on defense.  Shane Conlan, Bruce Smith and others were out or limited.  The Bengals had a great offense, and the Bills O was not able to keep up.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

That delay of game on 4th down that nullified the 1st down completion to Lou Piccone still bothers me

The Piccone game was 1980/81 season, Smith was against Pittsburgh. This is about 1989. 3 different games.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

The Piccone game was 1980/81 season, Smith was against Pittsburgh. This is about 1989. 3 different games.

Thanks for the correction on Lou Piccone - sorry (but it still stings)

On Bruce Smith, it was the REGULAR season game against the Bengals that year not the playoff game

"There also was talk that Smith was battling a bad case of the flu that day. He has refused to address the subject specifically."

Thanks again for correcting. 

18 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

Sorry - a few people corrected me that I had confused a few games - those were not the game

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:05 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Quick: who were the 1st 2 teams ever to have a losing season one year, then make the Conference Championship the next season?

San Francisco was 6-10 in 1980 and made the NFC Conference Championship Game (and Super Bowl) the following season at 13-3. Cincinnati was also 6-10 in 1980 and made the AFC Conference Championship Game (and Super Bowl) the following season at 12-4.

What do I wiin?! :-) 😂