Short clip of the 1980 Bills. The start of what could have been.. alas..

Might be the most frustrating period of the Bills history. We had a championship defense and a solid offense. Probably the best coaching staff top to bottom til present day staff.  Won't speak ill of the dead, but jeez Ralph...

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

This is when I became a  Bills addict.  I remember OJ and had great memories, but this is when I couldn’t get enough of the Bills and never left.

Klos, I’ll never forget all of the great things Ralph did for Buffalo, protecting the team, remembering the 1940’s Bills, but he was so off in his hiring of Coaches and Mgmt., and meddling.  He also did a great deal for the league in protecting small market teams, understanding revenue sharing and even was a small part in MNF.  Him having a problem with Knox, placing us in the abyss, and then repeating with Littman over Polian was horrible.

I guess some of us appreciate the Pegulas a little more as they made their mistake with Wrex, but fixed it with McBeane. The under 40 crowd may not appreciate unless real historians what we have now.

I know I’m talking proud.  Thx Chand.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Beast said:

To date, my favorite Bills season of all.

Great season! I really thought they had a chance to win it all with that defense. I remember watching Charles Romes drop a sure interception that would have won that playoff game against the Chargers...only to then watch Fouts throw a 50 yard pass for a score to win the game.

My wife and I had this old RCA TV. I was so angry at the end of the game that I walked over and tried to turn the TV off by kicking the push button - and only succeeded in shearing all the knobs off the front of the TV. We had to turn the TV on, change the volume, and the channel with a pair of needle nose pliers until we could afford a new TV...

Not one of my finer moments...

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Great season! I really thought they had a chance to win it all with that defense. I remember watching Charles Romes drop a sure interception that would have won that playoff game against the Chargers...only to then watch Fouts throw a 50 yard pass for a score to win the game.

My wife and I had this old RCA TV. I was so angry at the end of the game that I walked over and tried to turn the TV off by kicking the push button - and only succeeded in shearing all the knobs off the front of the TV. We had to turn the TV on, change the volume, and the channel with a pair of needle nose pliers until we could afford a new TV...

That reminds me of throwing a Windex bottle when I was in my dorm room when Kelly threw the INT to Matthews against Cleveland.

• Haha (+1) 1

I had just arrived in Germany for my first Air Force assignment when this game was played.  With the time difference, I had to listen to it on radio in the middle of the night.  What a horrible ending to a great season.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

This is eerily close to what I did that day; I stomped over to the TV after that score and yanked the stand really hard and tore the coax cable right off of the connector. We got it rigged up well enough that I got to watch the end of that miserable game, and I got called a dumbass several times that night.

• Haha (+1) 2

21 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great look back.

I forgot about the Bermuda Triangle, haven't heard that in decades applied to the Bills.

So who deserves the credit for the Sir Andrew Quote & the Bills, no not Thomas Moore, was it Knox or Levy.  I always thought it was Levy. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great look back.

I forgot about the Bermuda Triangle, haven't heard that in decades applied to the Bills.

I loved the Bermuda Triangle as a kid. Here is a pic of them in 2014 for a reunion from facebook:

12961147_1736416293311724_51278135370791

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, klos63 said:

Might be the most frustrating period of the Bills history. We had a championship defense and a solid offense. Probably the best coaching staff top to bottom til present day staff.  Won't speak ill of the dead, but jeez Ralph...

If Ralph got us a great coaching staff.. assemble a championship defense.. and a solid offense...

How is it his fault? He can't play the game 

I've done the numbers here plenty of times for people.. Ralph spent money all the time.. it just wasn't always money in the right spot

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If Ralph got us a great coaching staff.. assemble a championship defense.. and a solid offense...

How is it his fault? He can't play the game 

I've done the numbers here plenty of times for people.. Ralph spent money all the time.. it just wasn't always money in the right spot

You think Ralph did that? He hired Knox, yes, but everything else was Knox but if you give Ralph credit for building that team, you must also blame him for quickly turning it into 3 seasons of 2-14, 2-14 and 4-12 teams a year after letting Knox go.

Just now, klos63 said:

You think Ralph did that? He hired Knox, yes, but everything else was Knox but if you give Ralph credit for building that team, you must also blame him for quickly turning it into 3 seasons of 2-14, 2-14 and 4-12 teams a year after letting Knox go.

Listen , I think Ralph Wilson just made some poor personnel decisions as an owner, he let his emotions get in the way

But the whole Ralph is cheap thing is stupid and shouldn't even be a thought

He's the man who brought us here and kept us here. He made OJ Simpson the highest paid player in the seventies. Jim Kelly the highest paid player in the '80s.. the '90s bills were called the million dollar bills.. he gave Mario Williams the richest defensive contract in NFL history 

The problem is between all that he spent money on the wrong players and the wrong coaches

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen , I think Ralph Wilson just made some poor personnel decisions as an owner, he let his emotions get in the way

But the whole Ralph is cheap thing is stupid and shouldn't even be a thought

He's the man who brought us here and kept us here. He made OJ Simpson the highest paid player in the seventies. Jim Kelly the highest paid player in the '80s.. the '90s bills were called the million dollar bills.. he gave Mario Williams the richest defensive contract in NFL history 

The problem is between all that he spent money on the wrong players and the wrong coaches

I didn't go to the 'Ralph is cheap' refrain.  We were unsuccessful more often than not under Ralph and some of those unsuccessful stretches were long and awful.

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I didn't go to the 'Ralph is cheap' refrain.  We were unsuccessful more often than not under Ralph and some of those unsuccessful stretches were long and awful.

I don't disagree that there was some bad football

But I do think Ralph did want to have a consistently winning team he just couldn't do it