Jim Kelly Highlights vs Josh Allen Highlights *Career

On 7/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Utah John said:

Regular season Allen > regular season Kelly

Playoff Kelly >>> playoff Allen

I don't know what happens when Allen gets into a playoff game.  Maybe the game plans get tighter, or maybe he just feels the pressure more.  The Bills won two playoff games last year but didn't look great doing it.  The playoff losses to Houston and KC were just bad games for Allen.

There's no real reason why Allen can't dominate in the playoffs.  Maybe he has a little monkey on his back about this, and once he goes out a lights someone up in a playoff game, this will all be viewed as part of his learning curve.

It's pretty obvious what happened, all his WRs were injured. They gave it a go, but they couldn't perform well enough.

John Brown was a very important weapon for us and was injured most of the year including the playoffs, Beasley couldn't win with a broken leg. Diggs had a torn meniscus. Davis was badly beat up and just a rookie.

McKenzie has to be schemed off JB, SD and Beasley to be effective.

Allen was fine but his weapons not so at all. 

Every QB that ever lived would have had the same problem.

Iftherewas a question, it was why did our O go to such a standard offense 

There were no trick plays after we used them all year. I didn't get it.

Soon, I'm going to rewatch the KC game to study it. So hard to watch for me....

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Josh is the goat, but every QB that was ever great and won SBs had great teams to play with. Every single one.

You need the QB almost every time, but you need the very good every time.

McBeane has got to step it up. I think we get better this year running the ball and get better play from our D, but.....

will the betterment be enough? The chefs have three difference makers on D to go along with very solid play. Right now, we have only one. That's bad.

Maybe Tremaine breaks out this year, maybe Epenesa or Oliver really step up their games. Maybe the rooks will shock us.

We really need to step it up. We usually have the solid/sound play but we need more big plays, more impact plays, more pizzaz. We need our defenders beating one on one blocking more than they do (almost never).

On offense, I do think Ertz makes us a lot better and gives us one more dangerous weapon. Last season, we were decimated at dangerous offensive weapons, the more you have, the better the odds. The more you have, the less everyone has to carry. I guess other players could break out, but I don't think so. Diggs is the real thing. Beasley really is a great slot WR. Davis compliments Beasley well. Saunders is the real deal in the regular season and the playoffs. These are the guys we need healthy in the playoffs. Ertz gives us a better chance they all (including Ertz) make it to the playoffs healthy.

So get Ertz for Allen, our best shot at winning a SB.

We gotta hope all our many defensive coaches can coach this defense up.  Maybe Taron turns it up and becomes a household name. We need someone on defense to. Even White could play better, imho. He guessed wrong too many times last season.

Maybe McDermott or Frazier or our D-Line coach really connects with our D-Line and gets all of them playing at a very high level banded together for that SB ring.

We need to get better to win it all.

Well played, getting an Ertz reference in on a JK/JA comp thread! :w00t:

On 7/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thanks OP; I couldn’t be happier that both of these men have lined up under center for the Buffalo Bills and that Josh is well on his way to being the best of the best. Also good guys off the field, which ultimately matters more too! 
FWIW, my fav Kelly game below:

I was at this game . My grandma took me and I had my appendix removed the next day. I still blame it on my uncles polish sausage!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Josh is the goat, but every QB that was ever great and won SBs had great teams to play with. Every single one.

You need the QB almost every time, but you need the very good every time.

McBeane has got to step it up. I think we get better this year running the ball and get better play from our D, but.....

will the betterment be enough? The chefs have three difference makers on D to go along with very solid play. Right now, we have only one. That's bad.

Maybe Tremaine breaks out this year, maybe Epenesa or Oliver really step up their games. Maybe the rooks will shock us.

We really need to step it up. We usually have the solid/sound play but we need more big plays, more impact plays, more pizzaz. We need our defenders beating one on one blocking more than they do (almost never).

On offense, I do think Ertz makes us a lot better and gives us one more dangerous weapon. Last season, we were decimated at dangerous offensive weapons, the more you have, the better the odds. The more you have, the less everyone has to carry. I guess other players could break out, but I don't think so. Diggs is the real thing. Beasley really is a great slot WR. Davis compliments Beasley well. Saunders is the real deal in the regular season and the playoffs. These are the guys we need healthy in the playoffs. Ertz gives us a better chance they all (including Ertz) make it to the playoffs healthy.

So get Ertz for Allen, our best shot at winning a SB.

We gotta hope all our many defensive coaches can coach this defense up.  Maybe Taron turns it up and becomes a household name. We need someone on defense to. Even White could play better, imho. He guessed wrong too many times last season.

Maybe McDermott or Frazier or our D-Line coach really connects with our D-Line and gets all of them playing at a very high level banded together for that SB ring.

We need to get better to win it all.

He never said this year next year or the next. KC is going to eventually have cap issues with how they restructured there players 7 years from now if Josh wins a SB then Josh is the goat. I agree.

On 7/4/2021 at 5:40 PM, Buffalo03 said:

I've actually heard Kelly was a d*ck off the field back when he was playing and actually rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. 

Josh on the other hand does seem like an all around good guy on and off the field

for starters your statement is wrong.. not even close. When he was still playing he was a cocky type of person cause he believed he could win every game.. but that was towards football and that's not how he lived his life. you heard wrong...

On 7/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

Wouldn't it be great to have those red helmets back? Man...

Red helmets were used to help Jim pick out receivers in a sea of white at times. So the story goes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Watching Jim's highlights surprised me a little. I always remember his placement and touch on the deep paces. But he had a cannon as well. There were a couple throws that made me say the same thing I say about Josh now, Only he can make that throw. When Josh perfects the deep touch pass, no one will be better!

Love that Jim's video had Tom Selleck narrating! 

Standard Def video hurts my eyes!

Edited by sunshynman
etuff
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

Thank you for acknowledging that he at least acted like a pos to people back then. If you hadn't heard about him abusing his wife, that's fine. I have heard numerous people talk about it. And one guy even confirmed it for me earlier in the thread. He was definitely not the best person back then 

20 something super stars are not always the best people. It took some struggling and come to Jesus moments for Jim to see the error in his ways!

On 7/3/2021 at 3:14 PM, NewEra said:

Josh wins at least one super bowl.  He’s the goat 

I think even if Josh doesn’t win a Super Bowl he maybe the Bills goat. Imagine if we had Bruuuuce and Squirmin Thurman on this team. Kelly had all pros all up and down the roster. I mean Reed and Lofton are hall of famers as well. Diggs might be the only offensive weapon that we have (outside of Allen) that might be a hall of famer some day. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

On 7/3/2021 at 12:37 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I

Great video. Thanks for posting. I'm always shocked at how few people wore Bills gear to the games during those Super Bowl years. And you almost never see a jersey on anyone. When I think back on those years I always imagine it the opposite. Guess my memories are fuzzy.

Something I have noticed too.  I think it is the result of a few things... namely that it was pre-internet, so that weren't as easy to buy.  And, they were much more expensive...sure, authentic jerseys are still pretty pricey today, but there are always "discounts" on certain websites, and cheap Chinese kock-offs are pretty prevalent.  I remember the first time I ever knew somebody who had an authentic jersey...it was my sister in-law who a sweet Lou Piccone jersey.  I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  This was around 1979- 1980.  I had season tickets starting in 1980, and jerseys were not common at all, even among the most die-hard of fans.  I really think they became a much bigger thing in the mid-late 90's, for football anyways.  NBA jerseys were a bit more common earlier than that.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sunshynman said:

20 something super stars are not always the best people. It took some struggling and come to Jesus moments for Jim to see the error in his ways!

There are two issues here:

-Jim Kelly being an arrogant prick, misbehaving (partying and womanizing, then after his marriage cheating on his wife) -

These are well-documented.  Teammates have talked about it, among them Steve Tasker; Jim and his wife have talked about it.    Over time, Jim reportedly learned to be a better teammate, and eventually learned to be a better husband and Christian.

-Jim Kelly committing domestic violence.  If there is proof or evidence, it would be considered Buffalo Bills and football relevant to start a new thread about this. 

Stated as it was by  "I'm sure he abused his wife back in the day. I could be wrong" and having a guy with 388 posts in 15 years on the board :rolleyes: "pop up" to "confirm" will be considered disruptive trolling on an existing football thread comparing Kelly football highlights to Allen football highlights.

That Is All.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 7/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Kelly’s changed a lot since his retirement, he’s admitted that himself—staying in the Western NY area and committing himself to all sorts of charitable causes nonstop, definitely good to see! For some more on that backstory and what caused his personal life turnaround, I can recommend, “A Playbook for Dads,” a worthwhile read. 

Yeah.  If you were around Buffalo during his playing days, especially the earlier years, Jim didn't have the best reputation off the field, the stories are out there. He was like a high-school kid, in the body of a 25 year old, making a ***** ton of money for his time.  The NFL's first million dollar QB!  He was, without a doubt, the best QB in Bills history (pre-Allen, perhaps), he played hard, and lived hard.  But somewhere along the way, he grew up, and became a good man. But that is part of what makes him so meaningful to us all now.  I don't think he would deny any of that now.  

Edited by Buftex

12 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Yeah.  If you were around Buffalo during his playing days, especially the earlier years, Jim didn't have the best reputation off the field, the stories are out there. He was like a high-school kid, in the body of a 25 year old, making a ***** ton of money for his time.  The NFL's first million dollar QB!  He was, without a doubt, the best QB in Bills history (pre-Allen, perhaps), he played hard, and lived hard.  But somewhere along the way, he grew up, and became a good man. But that is part of what makes him so meaningful to us all now.  I don't think he would deny any of that now.  

This is what I'm trying to say but my comments get deleted. It's ridiculous 

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are two issues here:

-Jim Kelly being an arrogant prick, misbehaving (partying and womanizing, then after his marriage cheating on his wife) -

These are well-documented.  Teammates have talked about it, among them Steve Tasker; Jim and his wife have talked about it.    Over time, Jim reportedly learned to be a better teammate, and eventually learned to be a better husband and Christian.

-Jim Kelly committing domestic violence.  If there is proof or evidence, it would be considered Buffalo Bills and football relevant to start a new thread about this. 

Stated as it was by  "I'm sure he abused his wife back in the day. I could be wrong" and having a guy with 388 posts in 15 years on the board :rolleyes: "pop up" to "confirm" will be considered disruptive trolling on an existing football thread comparing Kelly football highlights to Allen football highlights.

That Is All.

He was a prick to fans out in public as well. A number of accounts from people I have talked to over the years have said this that met him or were around him and I'm called a troll? I brought it up because someone said he was always a class act. I was just clarifying early in his playing days he was not. It's annoying to have stuff that people disagree with getting deleted on this board

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

He was a prick to fans out in public as well. A number of accounts from people I have talked to over the years have said this that met him or were around him and I'm called a troll? I brought it up because someone said he was always a class act. I was just clarifying early in his playing days he was not. It's annoying to have stuff that people disagree with getting deleted on this board

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

This is what I'm trying to say but my comments get deleted. It's ridiculous 

You clearly didn't read very carefully why your posts were called "trolling" and removed - HINT: it was NOT for simply saying he wasn't a class act early in his playing days or was a prick in public at times (which are widely documented and corroborated by many sources).  It was for making specific, serious allegations that are NOT widely documented and corroborated, and were derailing this thread.  That is NOT ok.

You can have a seat and a second chance to read what was pretty clearly spelled out for you because I don't have time to baby-sit. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 7/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You clearly didn't read very carefully why your posts were called "trolling" and removed - HINT: it was NOT for simply saying he wasn't a class act early in his playing days or was a prick in public at times (which are widely documented and corroborated by many sources).  It was for making specific, serious allegations that are NOT widely documented and corroborated, and were derailing this thread.  That is NOT ok.

You can have a seat and a second chance to read what was pretty clearly spelled out for you because I don't have time to baby-sit. 

100%

Edited by PrimeTime101

Didn't seem worth a new thread but a bit of a film clip of Josh throwing with Jordan Palmer.  I have the impression he wasn't totally happy with his ball placement on this one.  Also can't tell who he's throwing to

https://www.instagram.com/stories/jordanpalmer/2613360537884303705/

[Yes, you need an Instagram account to view it.  If anyone knows how to capture video out of an Insta timeline and lets me know, I'd be happy to do that]

On 7/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, Utah John said:

I don't know what happens when Allen gets into a playoff game.  Maybe the game plans get tighter, or maybe he just feels the pressure more.  The Bills won two playoff games last year but didn't look great doing it.  The playoff losses to Houston and KC were just bad games for Allen.

There's no real reason why Allen can't dominate in the playoffs.  Maybe he has a little monkey on his back about this, and once he goes out a lights someone up in a playoff game, this will all be viewed as part of his learning curve.

Apples and oranges.  How would you have rated Kelly's playoff performances after the 1989 season? He was average to bad in  2 of his 3 playoff games.  He only shined in the playoff loss to Cleveland.

IMO Allen shined in the Indy game.  He was the reason we won that game.  The Baltimore game was clearly impacted by the weather conditions and IMO Allen had a decent but not great game against KC. His one INT was a ball that bounced off John Brown's hands and Singleterry dropped what would have been a game changing short pass after the Chiefs cut the Bills lead to 9 - 7.

And Allen's game against Houston was not as bad as some say.  It was inconsistent but in building a 13  - 0 halftime lead Allen played quite well.  As I recall the only reason we didn't go up by 20 or 21 to nothing was poor WR play.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Apples and oranges.  How would you have rated Kelly's playoff performances after the 1989 season? He was average to bad in  2 of his 3 playoff games.  He only shined in the playoff loss to Cleveland.

IMO Allen shined in the Indy game.  He was the reason we won that game.  The Baltimore game was clearly impacted by the weather conditions and IMO Allen had a decent but not great game against KC. His one INT was a ball that bounced off John Brown's hands and Singleterry dropped what would have been a game changing short pass after the Chiefs cut the Bills lead to 9 - 7.

And Allen's game against Houston was not as bad as some say.  It was inconsistent but in building a 13  - 0 halftime lead Allen played quite well.  As I recall the only reason we didn't go up by 20 or 21 to nothing was poor WR play.

This is spot on. Great points made here 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:59 PM, Utah John said:

How old are you?

Regular season Kelly had a TD/INT ratio of 1.35.  I'll just put this here:

image.thumb.png.28ebdd5afa89f60d6bf565c98e7bad6d.png

Kelly had some amazing clutch playoff performances, true.  But he also went all picks-o-matic at times and dug us into some deep pits.

In Houston, we were leading 16-8 going into the 4th quarter.  Way too simple IMHO to tag that as "just bad games for Allen" but I'm not going to dissect it now.

• Like (+1) 1