ESPN - AFC East QBs offer promise, but Buffalo Bills are clear 2021 favorite

2 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Did you watch all of Tua's snaps last season? Did you see him lead his to a win in his first start? Did you see him throw a well-placed 50 yard pass, from the endzone, down the field to a streaking WR who dropped a for sure 90 yard TD? Did you see his receivers drop the sixth most passes in the league?  Did you see him almost bring his team back down three scores against the SB contenders without his top three receivers?

We all know that Tua didn't have a good first year but he showed things that gave fans hope for the future. Every QB prospect isn't going to have a cannon arm and stiff-arm LBs like Allen. 

I saw more of a defense and ST that lead them to those wins, despite Tua. But I also am aware he was a rookie and obviously can improve. So time will tell.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, Draconator said:

196263106_ScreenShot2021-07-03at11_38_28AM.thumb.png.129d6f688add532d4cc1824677b06de8.png

Wow, this is crazy.   Who can predict the NFL 3 years into the future???   And Wolfe is high on Tag but does he really expect him to significantly outplay the league’s #2 MVP?   Fin fans will cheer if Tua becomes almost as good as Josh.

Given how quickly the NFL changes, 90% of Miami’s coaches and players 3 years from now will be different than today.   Who’s to say how that works out?

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Either way you slice it, some what ridiculous to try and predict who is going to be where 3 years from now…. Good teams go bad from one year to the next and vice versa. 

Generally speaking, yes, but not when you have an MVP-caliber QB entering his prime.  Those predictions are actually pretty easy.

It’s ridiculous to look at Buffalo and Miami right now and predict Miami will be better in three years.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:32 AM, eball said:

Wolfe couldn’t help himself, though…said in three years the Fish will surpass Buffalo.  Dolt.

Some pundit, forgive me I don't keep up with all their names, predicted Mac Jones would be better than Allen soon. You know before he's even thrown an NFL pass lol.

Oh well.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I saw more of a defense and ST that lead them to those wins, despite Tua. But I also am aware he was a rookie and obviously can improve. So time will tell.

Although it's actually his second, I view that Cardinals game as his first start since he barely did anything against the Rams. That LAR game was for sure led by the defense. 

Time will tell. Outside of a few runs, I didn't think much of Allen after his rookie season either but he immensely improved as the years went on.

Edited by DolFAN93

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Wow, this is crazy.   Who can predict the NFL 3 years into the future???   And Wolfe is high on Tag but does he really expect him to significantly outplay the league’s #2 MVP?   Fin fans will cheer if Tua becomes almost as good as Josh.

Given how quickly the NFL changes, 90% of Miami’s coaches and players 3 years from now will be different than today.   Who’s to say how that works out?

You don't have to significantly outplay the best QBs to be a better team-- see Tannehill leading a better Titans team to while Watson is the best QB in the AFC South. 

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable making that big of a prediction until Tua showed more. Plus it's too far out. I do like the outlook of this Miami team especially if they can find a RB. 

Sorry I can't post the link but in today's NY Daily News they do nice story reviewing all the QB's the AFC East. To no surprise they say Allen is the best and its not even close. They have Wilson last because he hasn't played an NFL game yet but they think he could become the #2 QB in the division. They were not klnd to Cam or Tua.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, Draconator said:

196263106_ScreenShot2021-07-03at11_38_28AM.thumb.png.129d6f688add532d4cc1824677b06de8.png

IMO Tua as big a question mark as Jones or Wilson. I say maybe even more so since he didn’t really impress last year at all. 

I mean Fitz looked lightyears better than him.  Which is bad for your 1st round QB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, machine gun kelly said:

I’m with you Duffs.  I want BB to desperately try and hold on for four more losing seasons to reafffirm he plays checkers not chess like every other coach, and Brady was the catalyst to his success.  It would be sweet to see Pats fans suffer for five straight years of losing seasons, then one of his coordinators take over and they keep losing (oh and we win the East for the next four years and beyond).

Pats went 7-9 and if they got AVERAGE QB play been easily 9-7 with one of the most untalented teams in the NFL. I dare say the talent level of last years team was probably 28th or 29th in the league.   Good coaching almost had them to .500.  

I would be shocked if they had a losing season this year. Now am I expecting them to challenge for the division or SB? Nope but I see a 10 to 11 win season with MAYBE a playoff birth.  Any true fan knows a rebuild takes time especially when you are replacing the most important position on O in QB.  That said it does help to have one of the best HC of all time leading the team.  

(Oh and I firmly believe it took both Brady and BB for the dynasty. Brady doesn’t even make the NFL if BB doesn’t see something in him.)

1 hour ago, DolFAN93 said:

I didn't think much of Allen after his rookie season either but he immensely improved as the years went on.

I see a few other people post this same thing, but if not a Bills fan that would be more familiar it's kinda expected. Allen had the worst WR core in Bills history imo and one of the worst I think I've ever seen in the whole league. Still he made some highlite plays, especially with his legs. But the surrounding cast he had in his rookie year played a major factor for sure.

I would say Tua had quite a bit better to work with than Allen. Not saying Allen didn't struggle, it's expected as a rookie, but WR' and OL for sure didn't help.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

On 7/5/2021 at 7:37 AM, DolFAN93 said:

Did you watch all of Tua's snaps last season? Did you see him lead his to a win in his first start? Did you see him throw a well-placed 50 yard pass, from the endzone, down the field to a streaking WR who dropped a for sure 90 yard TD? Did you see his receivers drop the sixth most passes in the league?  Did you see him almost bring his team back down three scores against the SB contenders without his top three receivers?

We all know that Tua didn't have a good first year but he showed things that gave fans hope for the future. Every QB prospect isn't going to have a cannon arm and stiff-arm LBs like Allen. 

Tua sucks.

I saw him in a must win game versus the Bills where he choked and threw three interceptions in a 30 point blowout.

You are right, he doesnt have a cannon arm nor can he stiff-arm LBs,  Tua is small for an NFL QB and will be injury prone.  You cant coach size and he will never have it. At best he has a very low ceiling as an NFL QB due to his physical limitations.

Most of his wins last year were due to incredible defense and special teams play, he went along for the ride.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tua sucks.

I saw him in a must win game versus the Bills where he choked and threw three interceptions in a 30 point blowout.

You are right, he doesnt have a cannon arm nor can he stiff-arm LBs,  Tua is small for an NFL QB and will be injury prone.  You cant coach size and he will never have it. At best he has a very low ceiling as an NFL QB due to his physical limitations.

Most of his wins last year were due to incredible defense and special teams play, he went along for the ride.

He had two games under 100 yards passing! Miami has good WRs and TE too. 

Tua could be good, but if I was a dolphins fan, I'd be very worried. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He had two games under 100 yards passing! Miami has good WRs and TE too. 

Tua could be good, but if I was a dolphins fan, I'd be very worried. 

I agree to a certain extent....he definitely didn't impress much. If I was also a Fins fan I too would be a little concerned, but being a rookie some struggles is expected and would want to see what he does next season.

See if he at least shows some promise and improve some to the point that he proves he can lead a team and move the ball better. If still looks same most of next season I think then I would be a lot more worried.

• Agree 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

He is betting on Tagovailoa to ascend is he and then claims the Dolphins have a higher ceiling?  LOL.  Well maybe all except the most important position , QB.  Anyone that thinks Tua has a higher ceiling than J Allen is delusional.  And three seasons predictions in the NFL are fairly worthless, you can easily go from one of the best to worst or vice versa trams in the NFL given three years, 

It would've been quite amusing exactly 2 years ago for someone to say that Josh Allen will be in the top 3 QBs in the NFL by 2020.

EDIT: such is the nature of punditry. SI ran a now famous cover story when the Astros were the worst team in baseball (by far) c. 2014 - "Your 2017 World Series Champions." If they had run a cover story with the caption, "Expect the Red Sox and Cardinals to continue to dominate their leagues for the next 3 years" nobody would've remembered it ... even if it had come true. It's fun to think about what happens to teams that load up on high draft picks. Sometimes it does all come together at once. Sometimes.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Agree 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, DolFAN93 said:

Tua has had elite coaching and weapons since his high school days.  He did not enter the NFL as a raw prospect that had a lot to learn.  Tua may very well improve over the next few seasons, but he has much less potential for improvement than many other QBS coming from lesser programs.  Of course he also had less bust potential coming out of college too. 

Tua was pulled from multiple games when they needed a gutsy performance and replaced by a very average, but fearless,  Fitzpatrick.  Tua never seemed that upset by the move.  Was that due to him being a professional and not wanting to cause issues, or does he lack the killer instinct that all great QBs posses? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, Ya Digg? said:

I get that you have a fear of the Patriots, but you look at those WR and think that group has improved? How? Also, their QBs are Cam and a rookie-how much of a jump are you expecting them to make? Are you expecting double digit wins from them? 

nelson agholor and Kendrick Bourne 

Are not better than n'keal harry, and jakobi Myers? Ha ha just what are we doing here...

21 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree to a certain extent....he definitely didn't impress much. If I was also a Fins fan I too would be a little concerned, but being a rookie some struggles is expected and would want to see what he does next season.

See if he at least shows some promise and improve some to the point that he proves he can lead a team and move the ball better. If still looks same most of next season I think then I would be a lot more worried.

I disagree.  IMO, the Dolphins made a huge mistake staying with Tua.  It makes their bold move of replacing Fitz with Tua, when Fitz was better, a mistake.   I thought Miami was discarding their fluke possibility at the playoffs for the long term.  The early look and decision of whether Tua was the long term answer.

They got to see what they had, and somehow came to the exact opposite conclusion that I had.  

Miami should have gone the AZ route and reloaded at QB with a do over while they had the chance (the #3 pick).

Huge blunder.  And I'm enjoying every  second of it.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

nelson agholor and Kendrick Bourne 

Are not better than n'keal harry, and jakobi Myers? Ha ha just what are we doing here...

Give me a prediction then, since those 2 all pro receivers make the pats so much better, how many yards will they have? How many touchdowns? How many games will the Pats win? Do you seriously think those 2 guys will significantly improve the pats this season? 

On 7/3/2021 at 12:53 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

He is betting on Tagovailoa to ascend is he and then claims the Dolphins have a higher ceiling?  LOL.  Well maybe all except the most important position , QB.  Anyone that thinks Tua has a higher ceiling than J Allen is delusional.  And three seasons predictions in the NFL are fairly worthless, you can easily go from one of the best to worst or vice versa trams in the NFL given three years, 

I didn't read it that way. I saw it as the Dolphins drafted Tua to be a franchise QB and have had a lot more draft capital to surround him with an elite supporting unit. That statement is true. A lot of high draft picks filling slots on rookie contracts allows splashes in free agency too. With the amount of 1st and 2nd round picks they have had and still have, Tua only has to be Carr or Cousins to be competitive. I can see Tua landing in that range easily.

This was a solid pro Buffalo piece and they actually considered each team and where they were. NYJ - Saleh should be a solid coach and they have drafted well, Miami has an excellent coach and teams seem to love giving them high draft picks for not much in return. Pats - until the wooden stake is really driven home, no one will discount them. Everyone called Buffalo to repeat, and then noted who the next threat could be.

The only real dig I saw was about Bills fans writing a young QB off in year one. Minor snark, but he has a point. Tua, Wilson and Jones are basically unknowns. The Dolphins and Pats have solid cores, good coaching and unknown at QB. The Jets still have to prove they aren't the Jets.

• Agree 1