U.S. Sprinter Suspended from Olympic Team

The Avenger

Sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson, who won the women's 100M at the U.S. Olympic trials has tested positive for THC and has been retroactively disqualified - she will not run the 100M at the Olympics.

Terrible mistake that she blames on the pressure of losing her mother just before the trials. I hate to see all that hard work go to waste, but when you're a world class sprinter you know the rules and you have to live with the consequences.  A truly sad situation.

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

rule sucks. just like the laws against weed have sucked. but, it wont be long as most states are becoming legal. as for the rule, is weed really an advantage. I think not.

but as you said there wacka. broke the (sucky) rules. too bad.

I mean...weed has benefits. It certainly helps with de-stressing and pain management. So, I guess it's some sort of advantage, depending on how you look at it.

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

nah. sorry. don't agree. but no biggie. they'll ease off in time and realize and most have. weed is not as bad as some want to claim it to be.

They'll eventually change the rule and the advantages it provides will be legal.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I mean...weed has benefits. It certainly helps with de-stressing and pain management. So, I guess it's some sort of advantage, depending on how you look at it.

Booze has its advantages too. Gives you confidence to do wild and crazy things. Does it make you a better athlete? Probably not. Does weed? Probably not. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

BUT... If you're apt to use a chemical "crutch" what else will you use?

Weed and booze aren't chemicals. I guess you can make the argument that there's some chemistry involved in making booze, but that's neither here nor there.

We're talking about performance enhancing drugs, which by all accounts I think the consensus is that neither of the two are. 

One thing I  do agree with is that the rules are what they are, and if you're dumb enough to get high and sacrifice your shot at the the Olympics, that's on you. Get your ***** together and lay off the pipe for a spell. It's not like it's crack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Pretty incredible that she smoked everybody with weed lungs, though. That's like a performance diminishing drug, at least as far as running fast is concerned. Rabble rabble follow the rules rabble rabble, but she's clearly the best at what she does.

36 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

if we're considering booze and weed a "chemical crutch" then why not also throw caffeine into the mix? also legal supplements why you're at it. could probably keep going until you cover just about every human possible. hormone injected beef? how about sugar? 

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Pretty incredible that she smoked everybody with weed lungs, though. That's like a performance diminishing drug, at least as far as running fast is concerned. Rabble rabble follow the rules rabble rabble, but she's clearly the best at what she does.

if we're considering booze and weed a "chemical crutch" then why not also throw caffeine into the mix? also legal supplements why you're at it. could probably keep going until you cover just about every human possible. hormone injected beef? how about sugar? 

How about: Food.  

But of course, on the list of dependencies....Some are worse than others. 

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Weed and booze aren't chemicals. I guess you can make the argument that there's some chemistry involved in making booze, but that's neither here nor there.

We're talking about performance enhancing drugs, which by all accounts I think the consensus is that neither of the two are. 

One thing I  do agree with is that the rules are what they are, and if you're dumb enough to get high and sacrifice your shot at the the Olympics, that's on you. Get your ***** together and lay off the pipe for a spell. It's not like it's crack.

Guess I am using the term compounds loosely as "chemicals."

11 hours ago, The Avenger said:

Sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson, who won the women's 100M at the U.S. Olympic trials has tested positive for THC and has been retroactively disqualified - she will not run the 100M at the Olympics.

Terrible mistake that she blames on the pressure of losing her mother just before the trials. I hate to see all that hard work go to waste, but when you're a world class sprinter you know the rules and you have to live with the consequences.  A truly sad situation.

Damn

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I’d punish them…if it was actually something that was performance enhancing. I cannot believe weed falls into that category. In fact, it’s probably the opposite. 

BUT, I have questions: Is this a US Olympic rule or an Olympic rule? 

Also, I thought I heard there was some room for her to be added as a “discretionary” participant. Is that a real option? 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d punish them…if it was actually something that was performance enhancing. I cannot believe weed falls into that category. In fact, it’s probably the opposite. 

BUT, I have questions: Is this a US Olympic rule or an Olympic rule? 

Also, I thought I heard there was some room for her to be added as a “discretionary” participant. Is that a real option? 

Fair enough.  But, it's probably a personal conduct thing.  Maybe it is just me... It's legal here and pretty obnoxious.  I am not against it, just IMO appears to be unbecoming.

If she knows the rules and doesn't care to break them, you want her on your team?  That's all I am saying.   

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.  But, it's probably a personal conduct thing.  Maybe it is just me... It's legal here and pretty obnoxious.  I am not against it, just IMO appears to be unbecoming.

If she knows the rules and doesn't care to break them, you want her on your team?  That's all I am saying.   

She admitted as much and owned it. Good for her. That’s better than a lot of athletes. It was legal in Oregon where she was, but she knew she broke the rules and took responsibility. Most of them are just “better cheaters”, many doing it in performance enhancing ways. I think it’s stupid and hope there is some discretion as I think I MAY have heard. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

She admitted as much and owned it. Good for her. That’s better than a lot of athletes. It was legal in Oregon where she was, but she knew she broke the rules and took responsibility. Most of them are just “better cheaters”, many doing it in performance enhancing ways. I think it’s stupid and hope there is some discretion as I think I MAY have heard. 

Hey... It's totally legal here in Illinois, but if I pop it on a piss test the Fed, DoD will can me after doing a stint in rehab... That's the way it goes, still on Fed list.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hey... It's totally legal here in Illinois, but if I pop it on a piss test the Fed, DoD will can me after doing a stint in rehab... That's the way it goes, still on Fed list.

I TOTALLY get that. But my question is if it is an Olympic thing, or a US Olympic thing. She admitted to being guilty. Good for her on that. I’m just curious about who is responsible for that rule. Also, I heard there may be some flexibility, but is that true? 

I’d be more apt to punish people who cheat in more performance enhancing ways. This is sad and stupid at the same time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.