OJ’s 1975 Season. Better than ‘73?

Love those helmets.

IMO, no, '73 was better, but watching OJ again is a treat. Thanks for giving me the excuse.

What I notice is how he'd make little set-up moves 5 - 7 yards before he reached the guy, to get him just where he wanted him. He was so precise, but also violent when he wanted to be.

Love how he just tosses the ball to the ref.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Love those helmets.

IMO, no, '73 was better, but watching OJ again is a treat. Thanks for giving me the excuse.

What I notice is how he'd make little set-up moves 5 - 7 yards before he reached the guy, to get him just where he wanted him. He was so precise, but also violent when he wanted to be.

Love how he just tosses the ball to the ref.

You ain't kidding.

For a big chunk of '75 he was on pace to break 2000 yards again, and he also scored more TDs and was a more effective receiver... that was by far his most complete year as a football player.

Alas, that 1975 year has to be remembered as one of the greatest missed opportunities in Buffalo sports history. 4-0 start, then up 14-0 early at home on MNF against the Giants, looking like no one could stop them. Then.... pfffffft. They lose focus in that game, miss a chip shot FG then lose at the buzzer, and everything unravels. Defense evaporates (they blow a 28-7 lead at home against the Colts to lose 42-35, they play MNF in Cincy and the Bengals never have to punt), two painful losses to the Dolphins (of course... the first where a Leypoldt XP miss [he had a talent for inopportune shanks] haunts them in a 35-30 loss, the second on the Mercury Morris Fumble). Sigh.

What made it worse is that as the season unraveled, Saban got itchy feet complaining about management, OJ started talking about retiring to go into the movies, and dissension grew, setting the stage for the completely ugly collapse of the team in 1976. It would take years to get back to respectability. Can't help wondering how much would have been different if Leypoldt had hit that 19-yard figgie in the 4th quarter on Monday night against the Giants.

Of course 1975 was also the year the Sabres started the season like a house on fire (in a good way) and looked set to be a perennial Cup contender, only to fall apart in the playoffs against the damned Islanders for the first and not the last time.

(Yes, I was 8 then, and yes I have spent way too much time thinking about such things.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Alas, that 1975 year has to be remembered as one of the greatest missed opportunities in Buffalo sports history. 4-0 start, then up 14-0 early at home on MNF against the Giants, looking like no one could stop them. Then.... pfffffft. They lose focus in that game, miss a chip shot FG then lose at the buzzer, and everything unravels. Defense evaporates (they blow a 28-7 lead at home against the Colts to lose 42-35, they play MNF in Cincy and the Bengals never have to punt), two painful losses to the Dolphins (of course... the first where a Leypoldt XP miss [he had a talent for inopportune shanks] haunts them in a 35-30 loss, the second on the Mercury Morris Fumble). Sigh.

(Yes, I was 8 then, and yes I have spent way too much time thinking about such things.)

"Thanks" for that, RJ 😑  ... Indeed, it was painful to watch the Bills collapse in '75, despite OJ's brilliance. I'm a little older than you, LOL, but it's amazing how long those disappointments sticks with you from when you're young ... And I'll never forget (or forgive!) that loss to Miami. The Bills were mounting a furious comeback, and the Morris fumble would have given them the ball deep inside Miami territory. Instead, Jerry Frickin' Bergman calls it a non-fumble, and -- to rub salt in the wound -- slaps Pat Toomey with a 15-yard penalty for pushing an official out of the way to get to the loose ball!! My brothers and I almost smashed the TV ... This is probably a false memory, but I could swear that the Buffalo Evening News published Bergman's home address the next day!

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Please post more, “old stuff”! 😉

took me a second ... 😅

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

He didn’t have as many yards, but he scored 23 TDs including 7 receiving, 5.5ypc, 15.2 ypc

You decide.

Click Watch on YouTube 

302DB0BE-73A6-474F-BEF6-312B361CBA66.jpeg

One thing people forget…at the beginning of the 1975 season, OJ was already 28 years old, an age at which most modern RBs (even great ones) are on the scrap heap…if only the Bills hadn’t used him as a decoy in his first three years in the league.

And as these videos show, OJ had very good hands….in today’s game, would he be an WR1?  That’s where the alpha athletes end up now…

• Like (+1) 1

That was a great YouTube clip with the NFL Films music.  Great find, thanks for posting.  I was at the game vs. New England when OJ scored four TDs.

As has been mentioned, the '75 team was marred by lost opportunities and a porous defense.  8-6 could have easily been 11-3 with some help on the defensive side of the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1