WNY Homegrown Talent Who Knew ?

On 7/1/2021 at 12:34 PM, RiotAct said:

Jim Haslett, too.  Grew up in Royalton, I believe?  Met him at a Bills Backers bar about 10 years ago, nice guy.

Anyone who stomps on Terry Bradshaw's head is okay with me! 😀

Quote from The Washington Post:

"The bad thing is I'm from Pittsburgh and when I was growing up, Jack Lambert and Terry Bradshaw were my idols," Haslett said. "Anybody who has asked me if I did it on purpose, I would say I slipped or something. But the truth is, I knew if they scored again we were never going to beat them. So one of the players accidentally ripped his helmet off, and his head was exposed so I kicked him. It wasn't the best thing to do. My family was getting into fights in the stands. I couldn't go home for a couple off-seasons."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/01/jim_haslett_stepped_on_terry_b.html

Edited by ChasBB
More info ...
  • Like (+1) 1

<ay be wromg about some of this but Sean Regent, who went to Cheektowaga Central in late  70searly 80s. I think he played for the Packers  for a few years as an O lineman. 

They played hoops, but any list of great WNY athletes must contain Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy.

And now back to football. P.S. I went to school with Jim Dombrowski's sister Carol at Maplemere Elementary in Amherst.

Pretty wild that Conlan played high school ball at Frewburg, it is such a tiny little rural town. When I was in high school it was in the lowest NY Class D division with the Shermans and Forestvilles and tiny little hamlet towns of NY.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, QLBillsFan said:

#44 Marv Hubbard from Randolph pro bowl FB for the John Madden Raiders from 69-75. Legend on NFL films for rivalry with Chiefs. Still has one of the highest avg yards per carry in NFL history. 

Chuck Christ Salamanca played for Giants,49ers, and was pro bowl S for Saints. Early to late 70’s. Played basketball at Penn St then FA made the Giants and had 7-8 year career. 

I knew Chuck Christ in high school.  Not well - he was a few years older than me, but I watched him play high school football through his whol varsity career.

I was in the same Grade 11 Chemistry class as Justin Strelczyk and  on the football team.  Oddly, I was offensive line and he was a WR.  Not close friends, he was a really nice guy, always got along... He wasn't a ***** like some others were on the team. 

Sad how things ended for him. RIP

Homeroom too...

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was in the same Grade 11 Chemistry class as Justin Strelczyk and  on the football team.  Oddly, I was offensive line and he was a WR.  Not close friends, he was a really nice guy, always got along... He wasn't a ***** like some others were on the team. 

Sad how things ended for him. RIP

Homeroom too...

My cousin went to high school with him too.  Always said he was a great guy then and even after he made it to the NFL, as he'd run into him at times in the summer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, White Linen said:

My cousin went to high school with him too.  Always said he was a great guy then and even after he made it to the NFL, as he'd run into him at times in the summer. 

We probably know each other. 😉😜

Anybody mention Depew's Don Majkowski and Lackawanna's Ron Jaworski?  

The two "Polish Rifles!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 7/1/2021 at 6:25 AM, T master said:

I never knew there were so many NFL players that came from the western NY area of course we've all heard about Gronk & Jaws but i never had a clue about just how many were from the Bills region I hope you a ll find this as cool as i did & if this has already been a post for give me for the reposting ! 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/homegrown-legends-best-nfl-players-from-buffalo-western-new-york/

That was really interesting.   A name I didn't see was Marv Hubbard.  He played for Randolph Highschool and had a very good career with the Raiders.

I played against his brother in high-school football.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:40 PM, longtimebillsfan said:

That was really interesting.   A name I didn't see was Marv Hubbard.  He played for Randolph Highschool and had a very good career with the Raiders.

I played against his brother in high-school football.

Marv and Shane were mentioned in the article.