WNY Homegrown Talent Who Knew ?

I never knew there were so many NFL players that came from the western NY area of course we've all heard about Gronk & Jaws but i never had a clue about just how many were from the Bills region I hope you a ll find this as cool as i did & if this has already been a post for give me for the reposting ! 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/homegrown-legends-best-nfl-players-from-buffalo-western-new-york/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I didn’t know Christie was from Ontario, but he lives down here now.  (Rather not sure where for his privacy)  He comes to the best Bills bar in Tampa from time to time in Brandon.  I met his family in the 2019 season and were very gracious.

Master, thanks for sharing and I don’t believe there was another thread from here, but the mods would know.

Fun list - thanks for posting it. I am a little surprised that Roland William's is not on the list. He is from Rochester and was a standout at Syracuse University. He played tight end for the Rams in the NFL & was the starting TE for the Rams on their Super Bowl XXXIV winning team. 

• Like (+1) 3

#44 Marv Hubbard from Randolph pro bowl FB for the John Madden Raiders from 69-75. Legend on NFL films for rivalry with Chiefs. Still has one of the highest avg yards per carry in NFL history. 

Chuck Christ Salamanca played for Giants,49ers, and was pro bowl S for Saints. Early to late 70’s. Played basketball at Penn St then FA made the Giants and had 7-8 year career. 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I didn’t know Christie was from Ontario, but he lives down here now.  (Rather not sure where for his privacy)  He comes to the best Bills bar in Tampa from time to time in Brandon.  I met his family in the 2019 season and were very gracious.

Master, thanks for sharing and I don’t believe there was another thread from here, but the mods would know.

MGK....whats the name of this bar???

4 hours ago, T master said:

I never knew there were so many NFL players that came from the western NY area of course we've all heard about Gronk & Jaws but i never had a clue about just how many were from the Bills region I hope you a ll find this as cool as i did & if this has already been a post for give me for the reposting ! 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/homegrown-legends-best-nfl-players-from-buffalo-western-new-york/

Thanks.. nice read.. interesting.. 

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I knew a lot of them but surprisingly didn't know about Conlan.

We don't get many great players from my area, so it was big news in Chautauqua County at the time. He is from Frewsburg. 

(The other big news was when we got the Bills' TC in Fredonia in the early 80's. The newspaper reported when Bills players were spotted in the local restaurant, and when Bruce Smith was seen moving into the dorms carrying an air conditioner, lol!)

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1

great info, sure Erie, Syracuse and Ont stretch the demographic market area (DMA) somewhat, but by way of comparison, living in suburban Wash DC (NoVA) I did a lookup of the local team and found several representatives from areas over 200+ miles away, included is one Quinton Spain ?  former Bill cut who made the list for the Wash Football Team, I guess we are not talking all-star level but alive and breathing in some positions...SMH

On 7/1/2021 at 9:25 AM, T master said:

That was a fun read, thanks for posting. I would also give an honorable mention to Niagara Falls' own James Starks at RB. Fun fact: He, Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris were all on the same NYS championship basketball team at Niagara Falls High School.

• Agree 2

Browns center and NFLPA president JC Tretter is from Akron.

Not a big deal but FWIW, I played in high school against his uncle and maybe his father when they were at Oakfield-Alabama.

• Like (+1) 1

That was interesting, there were a few I never knew. I’m also somewhat surprised how many players Syracuse produced. Rochester doesn’t have anyone of note,

Roland Williams is the only name I can think of, but he didn’t make the list.