Trade Buzzards beginning to circle on Bills veteran Dlinemen Hughes and Addison

Maybe they trade a guy like Addison if someone like Epenesa or Obada, or even one of the rookies really impresses through camp and pre-season and make Addison expendable. It's definitely a no-go for me on Hughes. Dude is one of the heart and soul types on this team and has really grown into a leader role since McDermott took over. The thing to remember with McDermott and Beane is the on-field production isn't always paramount in their decision making on who they bring in. They bring in guys with elite work ethics and practice habits because they want their younger talent to see that and model after it. They're basically saying, "You wanna hang around for ten or more years in this league? Then be around this player as much as possible, soak up any info he gives you, look at his practice habits, etc. etc."

So, guys like Hughes are really important in that sense. And while his straight sack numbers have hovered around 4-6 for the last couple seasons, he's one of the only ones on the team that puts consistent pressure on the QB. Doesn't always get home, but he disrupts a lot of plays. He's still got plenty left in the tank, although I do hope one of the younger guys can step up so they don't have to rely on him quite as much and can use him more in straight pass rushing situations and just let him go after the QB and not have to worry about other assignments as often.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have been very aware of this possibility for a while (I know I have posted it since the second round of the draft).That being said, we all know that, at least with Hughes,  it is too too premature without knowing how the rookies and Epenesa and Obada do in pads and a Bills uniform. Addison, however, is fair game (I wanted to include him in a trade with Atlanta for TE Hurst). Some writers are starting to take note of the Bills' surplus at DE. FWIW, I like it that these are trade candidates rather than release candidates - shows they still have reasonable contracts and have value.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944933-1-player-each-nfl-team-should-consider-trading-before-the-2021-season

With respect to other teams' assets, I wouldnt mind trading for a safety from the Rams or WFT. Need some depth behind Hyde and Poyer.

You cant slip anything past "the writers", i guess their first clue was out drafting 2 DE in the first two rounds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.  The thing is, Beane should be doing the right thing for Addison as well.  We don’t know what was said between BB and Addison, but depending on the verbiage of their agreement, Beane doesn’t want to get the reputation of saying one thing and doing another within the locker room and nfl circles.  GMs have a reputation to uphold and I think Beane knows and respects that. 

Agree completely. Beane and Addison apparently spoke right after the draft. We don’t know what was said but whatever it was, I’m thinking Beane will want to abide by his words. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Hughes is the only player on this team that can put pressure on the QB (the rookies and FAs at this point are an unknown).  Trade Addison for a bag of peanuts, but Hughes belongs on this team.  

Completely agree. Jerry deserves to play this season. I could care less what happens to Addison. And please never insult a bag of peanuts like that again. 

• Like (+1) 1

Do people not understand what Jerry means in that locker room to this team?

Everyone is always "available" but in no way would I consider this.   

I think the loss of Alexander was an overall net negative for the defense last year.  Don't get me wrong I'm in no way saying if he's there we're a much better D no not what I'm saying.  As an example maybe if he's there we don't nearly cough up a 24-10 lead in the 4th quarter vs the Colts.  Maybe he can get their minds right as the Chiefs run game is steam rolling them I don't know.   But there is something calming about their presence and having vets like that are valuable. 

I think losing Gore had a negative impact on Singletary.  Yea it sucked watching him run but Singletary was like a sponge around him and maybe he had extra juice because something in him didn't want to let Gore down if that makes sense.  Respected 'warriors' giving everything they have is a big deal to have especially to young guys.  

There are just some vets that are vital in ways no analytics can measure.  They had a massive leadership void when McCoy and then Alexander left - and it's clearly been filled by Hughes.  What he means to these young DEs yea think the impact Gore had on our RBs.    

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree. Jerry deserves to play this season. I could care less what happens to Addison. And please never insult a bag of peanuts like that again. 

Agree. Yeah imo I think odd man out will likely be Addison. With the 2 rookies and Star's return I think they likely part ways.. but honestly have no idea. Just a guess like a few others. Too early to tell anything anyway..

I'd be shocked if Beane were to get anything for Hughes or Addison. I'd be further shocked if Hughes or Addison went and didn't just retire if this happened.  Hughes bleeds Buffalo Blue and wants that Super Bowl. Addison also wants a Super Bowl Having been close the one time.

It sez here Beane is stuck with these guys. 

Having said that, I also thought it was impossible to trade Lee Smith and his contract so whotf knows?

And with regards to Mr. Hughes, he may still be our best, IDK, I havta see the new kids, but his play slipped last year in the playoffs.....He just lost that dangerous burst he has been saving for big games, imho....

On 7/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, ColoradoBills said:

As I see it, barring injuries, it's most likely a camp battle between Addison and Obada.

If its close - money says obada sticks.  Addison has no major cap savings (maybe 2 million?), it looks like his base is not guaranteed unless he's injured but he might be able to ***** a late pick.

• Agree 1

On 6/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, NewEra said:

Yeah.  The thing is, Beane should be doing the right thing for Addison as well.  We don’t know what was said between BB and Addison, but depending on the verbiage of their agreement, Beane doesn’t want to get the reputation of saying one thing and doing another within the locker room and nfl circles.  GMs have a reputation to uphold and I think Beane knows and respects that. 

I am of the opinion Addison is i=one of the vets who will be bringing the "kids" up tp pro level play and method.
Hughes and Addison should remain. But likely their last season coming up. Lets make it special !

We should have move on from Addison like we did Jefferson after one year, but it didn't happen for obvious reasons (i.e. Carolina connection).

I could see him being this years 'Trent Murphy' in terms of highly paid insurance that's inactive most weeks especially given how crowded the Dline is with the addition of high draft picks.

• Disagree 2

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

We should have move on from Addison like we did Jefferson after one year, but it didn't happen for obvious reasons (i.e. Carolina connection).

I could see him being this years 'Trent Murphy' in terms of highly paid insurance that's inactive most weeks especially given how crowded the Dline is with the addition of high draft picks.

"Carolina connection" is over emphasized by fans and media.  It is just too easy to write that.

They are reason players may be getting a close examination but not dominating reason why they are signed.  Many veteran players are over paid for contract, connected or not, because teams are betting they will continue to get better and sometimes they are wrong; some players lose drive after a while or the injuries which they played through catch up with them.

And the buzzard's name is "baseless speculation".