Trade Buzzards beginning to circle on Bills veteran Dlinemen Hughes and Addison

33 minutes ago, MJS said:

Addison led the team in sacks, you know...

Sorry, but Hughes is old and hasn't produced sacks in years. He is a fine player but I would move on from him in a heartbeat if we got a good offer for him. I'd move on from him AND Addison in a heartbeat. I'm ready to let all the younger guys contribute and develop. I don't care about how many "pressures" Hughes gets. He never gets home and he has pissed off the refs to the point that they have blackballed him and never call holding for him. He is an above average player and I'm not sure why everyone is so attached to him and act like he is an elite difference maker. He isn't.

Ask anyone who isn't a Bills fan about Jerry Hughes and they'll say "Who?". Not exactly a guy who is making an impact and turning heads as a pass rusher.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he is a good player, but his best years are behind him for sure. He is totally the kind of high priced, old veteran that teams move on from. But truthfully? Nobody is going to offer anything good for him in a trade. Why would they?

And sacks.

Stop looking at the stat sheet and pay more attention to what jerry does in the game.  He makes an impact on the opposing passing game.  Addison does not.  Please don’t act like leading the team with 4 sacks is some accomplishment.  Look up their pass rush win rate and hurries then talk to me.  There’s a reason Addison took a pay cut and Jerry didn’t.  Jerry is a beast.  Addison is an overpaid and easily replacement DE.  

I have a lot of respect for you as a poster so I’m really surprised you would have this take tbh.  

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, last off-season Bills fans and sports media were talking about how much they liked the signing of Addison and how it was a good below the radar move. I'm sure you weren't because you hate everything, but most people were. He was averaging nearly 10 sacks a season the previous 4 seasons. So yeah, hindsight is 20/20.

And theN we saw him play for 16 games. He changed our minds real

quick.  He stunk.  Don’t compare Addison and Jerry.  There is no comparison to what each player did on the football field last season

Not like pff is the gospel or anything, but Jerry had a 75 pff rating.  Addison, 56. As expected . 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Stop looking at the stat sheet and pay more attention to what jerry does in the game.  He makes an impact on the opposing passing game.  Addison does not.  Please don’t act like leading the team with 4 sacks is some accomplishment.  Look up their pass rush win rate and hurries then talk to me.  There’s a reason Addison took a pay cut and Jerry didn’t.  Jerry is a beast.  Addison is an overpaid and easily replacement DE.  

I have a lot of respect for you as a poster so I’m really surprised you would have this take tbh.  

And theN we saw him play for 16 games. He changed our minds real

quick.  He stunk.  Don’t compare Addison and Jerry.  There is no comparison to what each player did on the football field last season

Not like pff is the gospel or anything, but Jerry had a 75 pff rating.  Addison, 56. As expected . 

I'm not really comparing them. I'd be fine with both of them leaving. I like Hughes. He is a good player. But I don't put as much stock into pass rush win rate and pressures as everyone else, apparently. I want a defensive end who can finish. I have always felt that Jerry Hughes shines best when he has another elite rusher to take the pressure off him, like when he had Mario Williams. But we haven't had that in a long time.

He's old. He is a decent player. But I'd move on from him if there was a good offer or if the young guys show they can contribute sooner than expected.

As for Addison, I think he is a better player than what he showed last year, but I would not mind moving on from him either.

Advanced stats tell a story, but they will never be worth as much as the basic stats of sacks, hits, tackles, tackles for loss, forced fumbles, etc. That's my opinion, anyway.

And I do pay attention to Hughes in the game and he does have an impact, but not as much as I would like. He'll put together a good game or two, sometimes a really excellent game, then have a stretch of three games where his impact is minimal.

Edited by MJS
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If you can't cut Addison for cap reasons you can't trade him either. It has the same effect on the cap.

Hughes is still the best pass rusher on the team and is on the final year of his contract.  No reason to trade him.

Who is to say that Addison cannot be cut I think he can be cut

This is about as newsworthy as the article on the main board from the voice of the Eagles saying a trade is imminent for Ertz.  He even writes in the column I have no inside information.  There is nothing to trading Hughes or Addison.  Like many, I have no issues with trading for Addison, but Hughes, no.  That won’t happen.  I believe they won’t extend either after this year, especially if they see advances from the rookies and Epenesa.

11 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have been very aware of this possibility for a while (I know I have posted it since the second round of the draft).That being said, we all know that, at least with Hughes,  it is too too premature without knowing how the rookies and Epenesa and Obada do in pads and a Bills uniform. Addison, however, is fair game (I wanted to include him in a trade with Atlanta for TE Hurst). Some writers are starting to take note of the Bills' surplus at DE. FWIW, I like it that these are trade candidates rather than release candidates - shows they still have reasonable contracts and have value.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944933-1-player-each-nfl-team-should-consider-trading-before-the-2021-season

With respect to other teams' assets, I wouldnt mind trading for a safety from the Rams or WFT. Need some depth behind Hyde and Poyer.

Oh, man, misleading headline!

Those aren't trade buzzards circling. Those are some people with no connection to any team saying it's their opinion that trade buzzards should be circling.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Who is to say that Addison cannot be cut I think he can be cut

I believe the  restructure of his contract in the off-season makes it unlikely. His previous contract was much more conducive to that. 

• Agree 1

I think Addison is a real possibility for being cut. .... Thus, if some team will give you anything, sure, take it. .... But if said team is patient, they will probably be able to get him after he's cut in late August. .... Hughes, not so much. He's not going anywhere.

• Agree 1

You keep Hughes. Period. He is the emotional leader on this defense and he still gets after it. If someone wants to trade for Addison? I'm all for picking up another draft pick on that. 

14 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I don't think it makes sense to trade a proven producer and veteran team leader in Hughes when the three young guys are unknown quantities.  Two are rookies and one is a 2nd year guy who got limited reps last year.  Addision, on the other hand, was brought in as a veteran, has only been with the team one year, and he was not particularly productive, so I could see moving on from him.  That said, did Addison restructure his contract?  If so, parting ways with a guy who made that concession for the team is not a good look as far as attracting future free agents.  The Bills are probably good enough to be able to overcome that, but it still isn't a good look.

FTFY......

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No sense trading for safety when they let Dean Marlowe go and he wanted to stay.

He was a very adequate player when called on defense AND he was good on special teams.

If he was on roster defense could have Groot and Baby Groot with their hair.

I thought they wanted him but were only offering the minimum and the Lions beat that with 1.127 mill. So he was a 2021 tight cap casualty. Do I have the narrative wrong?

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Addison led the team in sacks, you know...

Sorry, but Hughes is old and hasn't produced sacks in years. He is a fine player but I would move on from him in a heartbeat if we got a good offer for him. I'd move on from him AND Addison in a heartbeat. I'm ready to let all the younger guys contribute and develop. I don't care about how many "pressures" Hughes gets. He never gets home and he has pissed off the refs to the point that they have blackballed him and never call holding for him. He is an above average player and I'm not sure why everyone is so attached to him and act like he is an elite difference maker. He isn't.

Ask anyone who isn't a Bills fan about Jerry Hughes and they'll say "Who?". Not exactly a guy who is making an impact and turning heads as a pass rusher.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he is a good player, but his best years are behind him for sure. He is totally the kind of high priced, old veteran that teams move on from. But truthfully? Nobody is going to offer anything good for him in a trade. Why would they?

And sacks.

Nope.  He was tied with the great AJ Klein with 5.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, last off-season Bills fans and sports media were talking about how much they liked the signing of Addison and how it was a good below the radar move. I'm sure you weren't because you hate everything, but most people were. He was averaging nearly 10 sacks a season the previous 4 seasons. So yeah, hindsight is 20/20.

Signing a 9 year journeyman to 10+ million a year after a few good seasons was not universally viewed as a great move here last year.

Here:

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm not really comparing them. I'd be fine with both of them leaving. I like Hughes. He is a good player. But I don't put as much stock into pass rush win rate and pressures as everyone else, apparently. I want a defensive end who can finish. I have always felt that Jerry Hughes shines best when he has another elite rusher to take the pressure off him, like when he had Mario Williams. But we haven't had that in a long time.

He's old. He is a decent player. But I'd move on from him if there was a good offer or if the young guys show they can contribute sooner than expected.

As for Addison, I think he is a better player than what he showed last year, but I would not mind moving on from him either.

Advanced stats tell a story, but they will never be worth as much as the basic stats of sacks, hits, tackles, tackles for loss, forced fumbles, etc. That's my opinion, anyway.

And I do pay attention to Hughes in the game and he does have an impact, but not as much as I would like. He'll put together a good game or two, sometimes a really excellent game, then have a stretch of three games where his impact is minimal.

This just doesn’t make sense.  To each their own

Jerry needs to retire a Buffalo Bill after all he has given to the team i would hope that McBeane would at least give him that much respect sure he didn't start out as a Bill but he will be a Buffalo Bill and one of their best team players forever as far as i'm concerned !! 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He will make the roster. They can't go into the season with 2 rookies and Epenesa opposite Hughes.  Not if they are trying to win it all this year.

I think Efi Obada has a chance to make the roster over Addison.  He is physically more adapted to the LDE spot than Addison.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I thought it was noticeable that Addisons performance fell off in the 2019 season as he clearly lost a step. Of course I got flamed for that opinion here before being prove right last season….

Well, you know what they say about broken clocks...

• Haha (+1) 2