Trade Buzzards beginning to circle on Bills veteran Dlinemen Hughes and Addison

We have been very aware of this possibility for a while (I know I have posted it since the second round of the draft).That being said, we all know that, at least with Hughes,  it is too too premature without knowing how the rookies and Epenesa and Obada do in pads and a Bills uniform. Addison, however, is fair game (I wanted to include him in a trade with Atlanta for TE Hurst). Some writers are starting to take note of the Bills' surplus at DE. FWIW, I like it that these are trade candidates rather than release candidates - shows they still have reasonable contracts and have value.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944933-1-player-each-nfl-team-should-consider-trading-before-the-2021-season

This was a tossup between veteran Buffalo Bills edge defenders Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison. Either should be on the block if the team gets a good vibe from any or all of their three young pass-rushers: rookies Gregory Rousseau (first round) and Carlos Basham Jr. (second round) and sophomore A.J. Epenesa (second round). 

Hughes and Addison are a combined 65 years old and coming off a season in which they tallied just 9.5 sacks in 30 games. They'd save $6.4 million by trading Hughes and $5.4 million by dealing Addison, who is a year older and likely less attractive on the trade market. 

They wouldn't likely fetch too much for either considering their age and finances at play, but freeing up more reps for those young guys could make a deal worth it. 

With respect to other teams' assets, I wouldnt mind trading for a safety from the Rams or WFT. Need some depth behind Hyde and Poyer.

• Like (+1) 1

Hughes is the only player on this team that can put pressure on the QB (the rookies and FAs at this point are an unknown).  Trade Addison for a bag of peanuts, but Hughes belongs on this team.  

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like (+1) 33
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Offseasons number one objective:  better our pass rush.  

thought process: trade our best pass rusher.  Jerry is by faaaaar our best pass rusher.  We should trade him because we drafted 2 young kids….. case noi GIF

can’t help but almost throw up in my mouth whenever I hear anyone try and rationalize trading Jerry Hughes prior to the biggest season the Bills have had in almost 30 years.  

makes

no

sense 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I don't think it makes sense to trade a proven producer and veteran team leader in Hughes when the three young guys are unknown quantities.  Two are rookies and one is a 2nd year guy who got limited reps last year.  Addision, on the other hand, was brought in as a veteran, has only been with the team one year, and he was not particularly productive, so I could see moving on from him.  That said, did Addison restructure his contract?  If so, parting ways with a guy who made that concession for the team is not a good look as far as attracting future free agents.  The Bills are probably good enough to be able to overcome that, but it still isn't a good look.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I could see Addison they need a spot for Obada 

If someone would take him and give us a pick, this is a no brainer.  I don’t know how much value he has at this point. I’d take a 7th rd pick in 2098 for Addison if Obada looks good in training camp.  Obada, Rousseau, epenesa and Basham (possibly johnson) along with Jerry could move the needle enough. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is a full opinion piece, so take it w a grain of salt.  I mean, they needed to put someone on their list - its one player from each team... :beer:

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I personally put Jerry right up there with Kyle Williams.  You simply don't trade a well-respected leader who has been great for Buffalo. 

Jerry has been one of the few bright spots of the drought and would be super pissed if he was traded. 

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

This is a full opinion piece, so take it w a grain of salt.  I mean, they needed to put someone on their list - its one player from each team... :beer:

That's good to hear. I was about to be livid

• Like (+1) 7

15 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think trading Mario Addison is a no-brainer, but BR is far from a news site with any inside knowledge. 

Beane has never told a player that if they'd like to stay, they have to take a paycut and even so much as released them. Not even players we didn't even use like Tyler Kroft. No way in hell is he going to say "thanks for taking that paycut to stay with us, made it easier for me to trade you wherever I feel".

This regime puts an emphasis on team building and high morale. I believe a move like that would go against such things.

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Offseasons number one objective:  better our pass rush.  

thought process: trade our best pass rusher.  Jerry is by faaaaar our best pass rusher.  We should trade him because we drafted 2 young kids….. case noi GIF

can’t help but almost throw up in my mouth whenever I hear anyone try and rationalize trading Jerry Hughes prior to the biggest season the Bills have had in almost 30 years.  

makes

no

sense 

Yes, my friend. Hughes buys Boogie and Rousseau time to get acclimated to the pro level. May even be a great rotational guy by the end of the year. I suspect Boogie will be our RDE by the end of the year and beyond. Addison I couldn’t give a rats arse about.

10 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Yes, my friend. Hughes buys Boogie and Rousseau time to get acclimated to the pro level. May even be a great rotational guy by the end of the year. I suspect Boogie will be our RDE by the end of the year and beyond. Addison I couldn’t give a rats arse about.

Yeah.  The thing is, Beane should be doing the right thing for Addison as well.  We don’t know what was said between BB and Addison, but depending on the verbiage of their agreement, Beane doesn’t want to get the reputation of saying one thing and doing another within the locker room and nfl circles.  GMs have a reputation to uphold and I think Beane knows and respects that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The thing we need most on this team is pass rush.

Lets trade Hughes, our best past rusher.

I have a feeling this is no longer the case but until it is proven by other(s) I agree (with the sarcasm).

Edited by Azucho98

Hughes is the heart of the team and still can pressure the QB. Addison on the other hand is disposable esp after drafting two DE’s high up in the draft and one in the second round the previous season and bringing in Efe.

But I am not sure what team is going to trade for Addison. 

While I enjoy the descriptive title, it is based on no actual evidence or news. Someone on a fan site suggesting the Bills trade an aging pass-rusher does not equate to a single buzzard. A more apt title would be "Some guy thinks we could trade an older player but both players identified 'wouldn't likely fetch too much for either considering their age and finances at play'." 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2