Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

32 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

This guy needs Buffalo to jump start his career. He is a clutch performer and Josh will elevate him with the inside and red zone throws he specializes in. Between him and Nelson, I'm getting really excited. 

Nelson and Ertz, the two guys that I’m praying we can snag.  A dependable TE that can help add the dimension of 2TE sets plus a CB2 that can play man when needed to.  Both players add versatility to our play calling.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Nelson and Ertz, the two guys that I’m praying we can snag.  A dependable TE that can help add the dimension of 2TE sets plus a CB2 that can play man when needed to.  Both players add versatility to our play calling.    

If the Bills can pull that off and get Beasley to show up for the season they will have added two meaningful pieces to the roster fairly late in free agency.

Nelson would fill a nice need to get more depth and competition at corner while Ertz would add a reliable vet TE to the offense and if healthy possibly be a top 10-5 TE in the league. The only issue with the roster in my opinion would be the lack of a true star pass rusher but there are players on the roster that could hopefully step up into that role or something close to it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

SB teams dont RELY on unproven skilled players to finally click.  if it happens great, we now have a better rotation.  the room for error between AFCCG and SB winner is so narrow!  GMs make the moves to put us over the top.  Hollister/Knox are in no way Gronk/Kelce mold players

I think you have too high an opinion of Ertz. He's got a lot of miles on him. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It's too perfect. It probably won't happen. Let's at least get one.

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

hey you know what they say... Aim high and hope we get one of the two lol.. Nelson and Ertz on this team would be crazy!

If we get these two with the cap hell  Beane was in after signing our own guys and Sanders,he will have pulled a great offseason out of his butt.

Just a quick thought and prediction,  after seeing Julie Ertz in an Olympic commercial during Hockey Game.  Ertz likely not reporting to Eagles or signing any deal until after the Olympics.  Will avoid camp and gets to go watch his wife.

The wait continues.  

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

If we get these two with the cap hell  Beane was in after signing our own guys and Sanders,he will have pulled a great offseason out of his butt.

well said and I agree lol

7 minutes ago, since79 said:

Just a quick thought and prediction,  after seeing Julie Ertz in an Olympic commercial during Hockey Game.  Ertz likely not reporting to Eagles or signing any deal until after the Olympics.  Will avoid camp and gets to go watch his wife.

The wait continues.  

great point. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Maybe the Bills told Nelson to hang on until after Ertz has  been moved.  A clue might come in the trade details. 

If the Bills can move a DL player like Addison/Butler IMO it increases the odds of adding Nelson.

Here's what I don't get:

Zach Ertz has had consistently excellent production his entire career. From 2014 to 2019, in order, he posted the following yardage totals:

1163 (Also set the all time single season receptions record for a TE with 116)

Last year, he had a bad year, yes. HOWEVER, he played through injuries, not to mention team dysfunction, coaching turmoil, and the complete collapse of Carson Wentz. 

So now, because he had ONE down year, he's toast? He's not worth a darn?!

He's 30 years old! Not 35 or 36, but 30. Guys like Greg Olsen and Tony Gonzales played well into their late 30s. Travis Kelce is 31, and I'm sure nobody would say HE'S finished.

I just don't get it. Why do so many people think Ertz is shot? Why would so many people NOT want a guy who's last five seasons (not counting 2020) would be the most statistically productive five seasons by a Bills tight end EVER? If you're just all-in on Knox, or you somehow don't think a guy who averages over 800 yards receiving a year and has a Super Bowl ring can add anything to our team, then fine. I don't really get it, but fine. But if your reasoning is that he's somehow "finished" or in serious decline because he had one down year? I think you're crazy.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1