Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Oh, sorry.  She is singing "everybody hurts..."

🙁

If Russ Brandon was in the Eagles' front office, he would have made sure Ertz was signed to a multi year deal, just to ensure that they could sell season tickets on the catchphrase 'Hurts to Ertz!'  Such was his genius...🙄

Russ Brandon was an expert on inflicting pain. I'll give him that,  like when he sent a veteran Oline packing so the holy Trent could get twisted up like a pretzel. Sprinkle in T O with a hurt toe for good measures.

Love Ertzs...

Bills interests aside I do wonder what the hell is going on with Ertz and the Eagles? It is clear that cap wise the Eagles kind of have to move on from Ertz and that Ertz doesn't want to be there. Yet the Eagles appear to be holding him hostage to gain as valuable a pick as possible but the trade market is either not hot or non-existant. I hope for Ertz's sake it gets resolved soon hopefully with the Bills landing him but I just haven't seen this type of situation in the NFL recently. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Bills interests aside I do wonder what the hell is going on with Ertz and the Eagles? It is clear that cap wise the Eagles kind of have to move on from Ertz and that Ertz doesn't want to be there. Yet the Eagles appear to be holding him hostage to gain as valuable a pick as possible but the trade market is either not hot or non-existant. I hope for Ertz's sake it gets resolved soon hopefully with the Bills landing him but I just haven't seen this type of situation in the NFL recently. 

Because injuries and arrests happen..........especially the latter between mini-camp and TC.

The Eagles are just waiting it out for a team to hopefully get needy at TE.

Maybe they give him leave to attend the Olympics and buy themselves more time yet to let some TE blow out a knee in someone's TC.

I did predict the trade market for him would be slow to non-existent way back when everyone wanted to spend a day 2 (and a few folks even a 1st round!) pick on him. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I did predict the trade market for him would be slow to non-existent way back when everyone wanted to spend a day 2 (and a few folks even a 1st round!) pick on him. 

Everyone did not.  Likely you are exaggerating like all English food is terrible (kipper I had there was actually good).

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because injuries and arrests happen..........especially the latter between mini-camp and TC.

The Eagles are just waiting it out for a team to hopefully get needy at TE.

Maybe they give him leave to attend the Olympics and buy themselves more time yet to let some TE blow out a knee in someone's TC.

I didn’t think family was allowed to travel to the olympics? Didn’t the Pegulas say they couldn’t go to watch their daughter?

16 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I didn’t think family was allowed to travel to the olympics? Didn’t the Pegulas say they couldn’t go to watch their daughter?

I thought it was just a limit? Like 2 people or whatever? Unless it's changed which can likely happen also...

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I thought it was just a limit? Like 2 people or whatever? Unless it's changed which can likely happen also...

Yeah I wasn't sure on that which is why I was asking. 

Just googled and saw this:

image.thumb.png.13b98017f884685f665d7adaf30c0a80.png

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think you should assume the Eagles are holding Ertz hostage.  It easily could be that a contract with Ertz is the sticking point. 

What would you accept if you were Ertz/agent?  J Smith just got $12.5M.  What do you think the Bills would offer Ertz?  I don't think the Bills want to give Ertz that amount, and if not, it might be hard to get a deal done.  I could easily see Ertz wanting to go to free agency instead of taking what many here want to pay him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

It is petty by the Eagles.  Ertz probably deserves it for acting like a pouty puss but it will probably hurt the Eagles more  in the long run with other players who might be less inclined to sign there.  They should realistically just release him like any team would with a malcontent player worth about a third of his cap hit.  They’re probably focused on something short sighted like denying him a path to re-join Wentz or something silly.  

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Who is Zach Ertz?

Asking for a friend.

I think it’s like a Ertz donut type of thing, I don’t think it’s an actual person…

• Thank you (+1) 1