Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:50 PM, Boxcar said:

I just don't understand why the Bills would trade anything, period. The Eagles have zero leverage and will be forced to cut him. Seems at this point that they are either holding on out of spite or stupidity. Roseman is an idiot who is trying to get water from a stone.

I think the cap/dead money implications are the same for Philly whether they trade or release Ertz. So it looks to me like they want a player or more likely a (maybe mid round) pick in return. They are hoping that someone (probably the Bills) will want Ertz badly enuf to both take on his contract and give up a player who can help them or a pick. If Beane wants Ertz and the Eagles release him Buffalo would likely have to compete with maybe 3-5 other teams in negotiating a new contract and with a player who had already asked the Eagles for changes to his existing agreement. 

Sort of looks like Beane is not for now interested in (possibly) overpaying for Ertz, since the prevalent opinion is that any contract he signed with a new team would be for less than $8.5 million. Maybe Beane waits it out thinking he can outbid the competition, pay less than 8.5 and not give a pick. A new Bills contract might also be for more than a year. 

Roseman is hoping that Beane thinks Ertz is a major upgrade to the Bills TE position sufficient to appreciably improve the Bills chances for a championship. I don’t think this is an unreasonable position, even if nothing comes of it. Ertz is really a very good and reliable TE who probably has years left in the tank. He won’t get the targets here he had in Philly in 2019, but I would not be surprised if he returned to that year’s form as a player, which has got to be good for Allen and for the Bills, plus he’s a decorated vet who could help bring Knox along. I’m hoping Beane gets it done. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Who had the better Bills career: Zach Ertz or Antonio Brown? 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont forget Jeremy Maclin.

Bryant Johnson and Laverneous Coles say hi too and want to be in the convo for best Bills Career

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont forget Jeremy Maclin.

I was trying to think of his name a couple days ago when I looked at that post but clearly didn’t have the energy to actually look it up. Whatever happened to that guy. I wonder if he ended up getting free seafood for a year from that place in Baltimore 

On 7/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, Putin said:

I said 50 pages 10 pages ago , 

and at the same time like  a fool I keep on checking every few hours  , I’m really starving to hate Ertz 

Have faith my friend we are half way to 50!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Have faith my friend we are half way to 50!!!

Yes but there’s probably another CREDIBLE report coming about the deal being almost done , so please let’s finish this one up before we can start another Ertz thread !! 

Edited by Putin

Someday we're gonna see an interview with Beane where he'll be asked why the Ertz deal never happened, and he'll reveal that there was never any interest in him at all, it was all just a media creation.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bryant Johnson and Laverneous Coles say hi too and want to be in the convo for best Bills Career

There is no better illustration of the desperation of Bills fans during the drought years than the "Bryant Johnson watch" threads. Dozens of pages tracking news and rumors and even flight plans, all for.....BRYANT JOHNSON?!?!

Sheesh.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

There is no better illustration of the desperation of Bills fans during the drought years than the "Bryant Johnson watch" threads. Dozens of pages tracking news and rumors and even flight plans, all for.....BRYANT JOHNSON?!?!

Sheesh.

Oh no😱…a Panda sighting 

19 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes but there’s probably another CREDIBLE report coming about the deal being almost done , so please let’s finish this one up before we can start another Ertz thread !! 

GIF by Identity

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Sheesh.

Hahaha for real, it was ridiculous

7 hours ago, Rubes said:

Someday we're gonna see an interview with Beane where he'll be asked why the Ertz deal never happened, and he'll reveal that there was never any interest in him at all, it was all just a media creation.

That would honestly be hilarious; or he literally told us that he checked on Ertz once every three weeks only to stir up the rumor mills for the hell of it.

Edited by thewookie1