Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My opinion is that his $8.5M salary is more than he would get on an awful open market for players........and that........combined with the awful season he had and his advancing age.......negates that trade value entirely.

Best case scenario for us Bills fans........they cut him and the Bills sign him as a UFA for A LOT less.

I think salary opinion is a big issue.  Pegging the market value of Ertz is no easy task.  $8.5M seems reasonable to me.  J Smith just got $12.5 and Pitts $8.

I'm afraid if they cut Ertz the Bills won't survive the bidding war (see JJ Watt).  AZ and TN have dogmeat for TEs and money to spend.

Best case scenario for me is, Ertz to the Bills for a 7th and either Addison or Butler (then the Bills can go after Nelson).

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think salary opinion is a big issue.  Pegging the market value of Ertz is no easy task.  $8.5M seems reasonable to me.  J Smith just got $12.5 and Pitts $8.

I'm afraid if they cut Ertz the Bills won't survive the bidding war (see JJ Watt).  AZ and TN have dogmeat for TEs and money to spend.

Best case scenario for me is, Ertz to the Bills for a 7th and either Addison or Butler (then the Bills can go after Nelson).

That would be great for Bills. I assume they want more than a 7th though.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

13 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That would be great for Bills. I assume they want more than a 7th though.

Agreed - especially if we are including Addison/Butler or asking them to retain salary.  In any of those cases - I am assuming Philadelphia would be looking for a significantly higher pick.

@Einstein's Dog - I guess my question would be if AZ and TN have money and would out bid the Bills - why wouldn’t they be in on a trade - especially TN.  If they are interested - they should be able to offer a similar pick - that most likely is lower in the round and not ask for Philadelphia to retain salary.  

If he is cut - Ertz gets his choice and could go to whatever team for whatever money - the Bills would have a better shot as we are contenders.  If it was strictly money - then I don’t want him - I want a guy who is willing to give his all to win - not because of a little more money with a worse team and QB. 

I do not hear rumors of any team (except the Bills) trying to trade for him - and I think most of the trade rumors are pure garbage.  I think the Bills tried to get him and when Philadelphia didn’t do it early - they moved on and will revisit once he is cut.  Many teams with space can make a much more attractive package in a trade than Buffalo - Buffalo has a bigger advantage in FA - at least based upon what I see.

Edited by Rochesterfan

29 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yeah me citing "salary" was a poor choice of words......the actual issue is the cap hit.

Jonnu Smith signed a free agent deal that would average $12.5M (if he saw all of it)............but his cap hit in the distressed cap year of 2021 is a mere $5.6M.

Paying Ertz $3M more than Jonnu in 2021 isn't something many teams would do.......they appear to be going in different directions in their careers.

So you could "try" to re-structure Ertz......but he is a free agent next year.........he would have little incentive to sign a cheap extension to help out your cap.

If you trade for him you are probably using all of that $8.5M in cap space on him for just one season..........why should he take a pay cut in a scenario where he is traded and doesn't get to test the market?

I suppose it's possible but I also don't really see the Eagles taking on the salary of Addison or Butler in exchange for a 7th round pick.........the Eagles had the 3rd most sacks in the NFL in 2020.........DL is a strength.......they don't have a need to take on one of the Bills bad contracts there.    

A good portion of the reasoning to move Ertz is just to save cap room.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not hear rumors of any team (except the Bills) trying to trade for him

That's true, but a few will for sure pop up if he's cut. Also agree with you that there's nothing to the trade talks. 

5 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Is your opinion about him strictly because of the down season he and the whole Eagles team had last season? I assume it is since it's basically the only bad season he has had. Are you purposely not taking the horrible play of Wentz into account? I mean a pass catcher can only do so much when the one throwing the ball is playing so bad.

Did Wentz injure him, cause him to take so long to recover, ask him to go through the motions upon his return or jinx the connection with Hurts?  

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That's true, but a few will for sure pop up if he's cut. Also agree with you that there's nothing to the trade talks. 

Agreed, for $3.5M in 2021 I'd think he'd have multiple suitors that aren't remotely interested in trading for him for $8.5M.

38 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Did Wentz injure him, cause him to take so long to recover, ask him to go through the motions upon his return or jinx the connection with Hurts?  

Wentz being awful at QB which is a big factor in how the WR/TE's impact throughout the season goes whether good of bad has nothing to do with the 1 down year? Also because he got injured and took too long to recover is why you say he sucks?

Doesn't make much sense to me

I had a thought today....

I wonder if all of these ertz rumors are just a way to flush out the front office people with loose lips.  There were a ton of really negative stories last year from inside the eagles building.  I'm sure Pederson contributed his fair share but certainly was not alone.

Probably not but just something I came up with trying to figure out why this keeps popping up randomly.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, DJB said:

Let's never let this die lol

Less than 24 hours to go....

EDIT: Seems I made a mistake, I thought it said 1:18PM.  So that now makes it.... less than 2 hours left to finish the trade, as of the time I'm editing my post (11:57 PM 7-2-2021)

Edited by Just Jack
  • Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I really wonder what the Eagles end game here is, they have to cut or trade him and by early July it isn’t likely they will see a big time shake up in the trade market. Just collect your pick and move on.

That is a little weird but it is probably because no one wants him.  That’s not a comment on his playing ability as much as it is his salary.  The Eagles probably don’t want to eat any of it but no team in their right mind is shelling out 8.5 for him.