Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree and based upon what came out of OTAs and minicamp - the Bills are working on in-breaking routes and throws toward the middle of the field.  - those are throws Josh has been more hesitant to make (they got him in trouble as a rookie - especially against NE).  Those would include using the TE and RB as a safety valve - I would think.

Also please do not think that I hate Ertz because I think he would be the best TE the Bills have, but I think with Josh Allen as he is wired - you could give him Travis Kelce as a TE and our crappy 2018 WRs and he would still use the WRs at about a 5:1 rate compared to a HOF level TE - it is not hating on Josh as he is elite, but he is just wired to make plays and so far in his career from college on - WRs make plays.  TEs move chains and are critical inside the 5 yard line, but between the 10’s - the WRs is where the money is at.

Just curious as to where or how you saw video of what was done in mini camp?  Was there detailed columns or video posted someplace?  I'm not a big X and O's guy so if there were links here to the video or some in depth technical column, likely I'd have skipped looking at that anyway.

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Honestly depending on pre-season - my guess would be Brenda takes the place of Yeldon and most weeks is sat.  The only difference is if Kumerow beats out Jones as a gunner and then Jones is cut.

I would expect 3 RBs active each week.

I also would not be surprised (depending on the Ertz situation) if Knox, Hollister, and Sweeney are the only active TEs with Hollister taking Gilliam’s ST role.

I do wonder if that will be different this year and go with 3 true RB's and either Jones or a Kumerow more as a ST guy.  Would seem to make more sense to have Kumerow in that role as could also fill role as extra WR  if needed as we appear to be more of a passing team than running.  Maybe instead of 3rd QB will go go with extra RB being active as Berida does provide a different role with speed.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I personally like Kumerow and wouldn't mind if that happens.  He gives us that big WR redzone target and I think has sure hands.  

I hope Breida isn't sat just because I think we need that speed.  Teams that were aggressive coming after us up front, having Breida on a screen pass could be deadly.  Singletary let us down last year twice with drops.  The AZ game he would have walked into the endzone....and of course the AFCCG.  I think McDermott doesn't forget that.

Tony Gonzalez is 45 years old lol. 

This guy has been leading the parade of fill in the blank hate for whatever reason.

I fixed your post for you!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Time to dig up a new Ertz rumor and get a new Ertz thread started?

Don't be that guy.  😉

55 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Until Ertz is traded to Buffalo or any other team, this is what Ertz twitter talk has become for me...

Photobucket GIF

Don't get me wrong, I'll still participate. I like pain.

Well frankly, it's all we have at the moment.  Beating the Ertz horse into b&w is still more compelling than trying to figure out who will make the team because they can play special teams.... 😜

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Just curious as to where or how you saw video of what was done in mini camp?  Was there detailed columns or video posted someplace?  I'm not a big X and O's guy so if there were links here to the video or some in depth technical column, likely I'd have skipped looking at that anyway.

I do wonder if that will be different this year and go with 3 true RB's and either Jones or a Kumerow more as a ST guy.  Would seem to make more sense to have Kumerow in that role as could also fill role as extra WR  if needed as we appear to be more of a passing team than running.  Maybe instead of 3rd QB will go go with extra RB being active as Berida does provide a different role with speed.

I fixed your post for you!

Right after camp and when they were showing the videos from OTA’s - may still be in the OTA thread - They talked about spending a lot of time working on in breaking routes toward the middle of the field.

Last year they spent a lot of time working timing on out breaking routes.  Josh even said in one of his interviews that the in breaking routes were one of his off season focus.  

I believe the RB and WR decision will come down to a few special teams things.  I think if McKenzie (McKittrick for laughs) wins the return job - both punt and kickoff - then that opens up a WR spot that someone like Kumerow could fill - which may allow them to get rid of Jones and have the 3 RBs active.  

It will also depend on TE and other RBs like Williams because if we trade for Ertz - you now potentially have 4 TEs minimum to keep on the roster and if Williams looks good at RB - he might push one of the other RBs down and therefore force other decisions.  All I know for certain is we have about 60-65 legitimate NFL caliber players and we are going to be cutting or trading guys that will make other rosters.  Our O-Line is about 11 players deep and a few like the rookies aren’t ready, but will need to make the team.  The DLine is the same way.  The WR room has Hodgkins, Kumerow, Stevenson- all sitting on the bubble and all have a legitimate place on a roster.  

I think the final 53 will (as usual) have a strong special teams flare, but I could also see a few young guys make the roster and push a few former key special teams guys off the roster.  Jones/Gilliam - I am looking at you - they might have to sacrifice some ST experience to keep some youth and talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He changed his name to Phil and hid out for a while.  Then his head got squished.

You’re forgetting before that he changed his name to Frankie and moved to Vegas. Ended up working with a short guy named Nickie. But things went south, as they do, and ended up giving him the Mark Maguire treatment with aluminum bats. Yes…bats.

I just don't understand why the Bills would trade anything, period. The Eagles have zero leverage and will be forced to cut him. Seems at this point that they are either holding on out of spite or stupidity. Roseman is an idiot who is trying to get water from a stone.

4 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I just don't understand why the Bills would trade anything, period. The Eagles have zero leverage and will be forced to cut him. Seems at this point that they are either holding on out of spite or stupidity. Roseman is an idiot who is trying to get water from a stone.

The only leverage is another team offering a better pick but I can’t imagine the market is all that hot. The Eagles are just making themselves look bad holding a player hostage for no reason.

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The only leverage is another team offering a better pick but I can’t imagine the market is all that hot. The Eagles are just making themselves look bad holding a player hostage for no reason.

If that were the case it would've happened already. Teams would want to incorporate Ertz asap. This is a bad look for the Eagles. You don't treat one of your team's all time greats this way.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

If that were the case it would've happened already. Teams would want to incorporate Ertz asap. This is a bad look for the Eagles. You don't treat one of your team's all time greats this way.

If they think he has value in trade then I don't blame them at all.

My opinion is that his $8.5M salary is more than he would get on an awful open market for players........and that........combined with the awful season he had and his advancing age.......negates that trade value entirely.

But it only takes one team to see it otherwise.

They don't owe him his release and Howie Roseman just got them a SB trophy a few seasons back so I certainly wouldn't scrutinize Beane for tryna' get something for a fan-fave former stud TE if his stewardship had put a Lombardi in the trophy case at OBD.   

Roseman is just trying to make his team better...........I don't think he has asked or Ertz has offered money back after his very poor season last year.........this is logical, standard business, IMO.

Best case scenario for us Bills fans........they cut him and the Bills sign him as a UFA for A LOT less.

• Thank you (+1) 2