Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Seriously?

"I don't see nothing happening" means you don't see NOTHING happening, Which means you see SOMETHING happening.

He was just making fun of your use of the double negative.  

Ahhh ok. My mind is slipping. 

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

16 pages and still going. What’s the over under? 55 pages before shut down? 😂 

Not sure but I'd go with under 55 for sure. Unless of course surprisingly he does become a Bill.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

In case anyone hadn’t noticed Beane is not dumb.  This means no Ertz.

1. We have a lot of weapons and had a successful offensive season last year.  We’ve added more than we’ve subtracted already.

2. Knox, Hollister, and possibly even Sweeney plausibly could emerge.

3. We are in a position where we’ll have to pay some big salaries moving forward.

4. Ertz has a high salary and will likely want a raise or extension

5. Ertz blows

Any 3 of the above 5 points are enough to say no to Ertz.  If you disagree with three or more, that might be enough to cough up a 7th for this tird.  Otherwise….nope.  Name recognition is his entire appeal.  

20 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The only player on any team that gives you that kind of increased or decrease chance of winning is QB.

No other player or position even shifts a line fraction of points.  Signing Ertz maybe gives you a bit under 1% chance to win a game over Knox.  

The change in a TE on a team with 5 starting caliber WRs is fairly insignificant- especially a TE that is more of a split out rather than a blocking TE.  

The only way Ertz really helps is if Beasley chooses to sit out - they are the 2 players that split out and move chains - Ertz is not really going against Knox/Hollister as they are playing more of an H-back blocking role to protect Josh.

I’ll agree with you on the significance of the QB and Change in winning percentage.  My % was a placeholder not a scientific fact.  I’ll disagree that his impact with our current roster will be less than significant.  His experience and history shows he can move the chains when needed.  If it’s one critical 4th needed to get a 1st in the final seconds he pays for himself.  I believe he brings that experience and grit 

any weapon that’s available that fits our locker room should be acquired.  

55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

1. We have a lot of weapons and had a successful offensive season last year.  We’ve added more than we’ve subtracted already.

3. We are in a position where we’ll have to pay some big salaries moving forward.

5. Ertz blows

Any 3 of the above 5 points are enough to say no to Ertz.  If you disagree with three or more, that might be enough to cough up a 7th for this tird.  Otherwise….nope.  Name recognition is his entire appeal.  

To point 5

88 catches in 2019 say otherwise.

Single best season of all time with 116 catches in 2018

Ertz is a top 5-10 TE in the game today.

He had a bad year last year, the entire Eagles team did.

We have no idea if Beasley is going to play.

If you can acquire him for cheap, he is a great safety net for Allen. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

16 pages and still going. What’s the over under? 55 pages before shut down? 😂 

I said 50 pages 10 pages ago , 

and at the same time like  a fool I keep on checking every few hours  , I’m really starving to hate Ertz 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Can someone define “close” as in “close to finalising the deal”…

How many months we talking?

The issue is that the Iggles don’t have any real incentive to move Ertz until just before training camp.  They had to make him a post June 1st cut and they already used their two early designations on other players so it had to wait.  It also makes no difference to their cap if he’s traded or released.  So the only thing they need to avoid is him getting injured working out at the facility, at OTAs or in training camp.  He’s stayed away from the first two but something has to happen before 6/27 when TC starts.  He will be traded or released before then.  The Iggles are just trying to maximize trade value. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Putin said:

I said 50 pages 10 pages ago , 

and at the same time like  a fool I keep on checking every few hours  , I’m really starving to hate Ertz 

50 is a good guess. I think the last one went 72 pages. 

On 6/30/2021 at 2:19 PM, davspo said:

I really don't see the need myself.  We cannot possible pass the ball more so targets to him take away from someone else.  If anything a 6th or 7th and the Birds eat a significant portion of his bloated contract.  

Injuries happen- may be larger roster sizes as well. Ertz > Knox all day long. 

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The issue is that the Iggles don’t have any real incentive to move Ertz until just before training camp.  They had to make hits post June 1st cut and they used their two early designations on other players so it had to wait.  It also makes no difference to their cap if he’s traded or released.  So the only thing they need to avoid is him getting injured working out at the facility, at OTAs or in training camp.  He’s stayed away from the first two but something has to happen before 6/27 when TC starts.  He will be traded or released before then.  The Iggles are just trying to maximize trade value. 

Fair enough.. no other team seems linked to him though other than the Bills... 

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

5. Ertz blows

This line takes away any credibility your opinion on this matter might have.

Ertz is a three time Pro Bowler who averages over 800 yards per season and once set the all time single season receptions record fi or a tight end with 116. He would instantly be the best tight end the Bills have ever had.

If you don’t want him on the Bills, fine, but saying he “blows” is just silly. It’s a silly take. And that’s putting it mildly.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

This line takes away any credibility your opinion on this matter might have.

Ertz is a three time Pro Bowler who averages over 800 yards per season and once set the all time single season receptions record fi or a tight end with 116. He would instantly be the best tight end the Bills have ever had.

If you don’t want him on the Bills, fine, but saying he “blows” is just silly. It’s a silly take. And that’s putting it mildly.

@4merper4mer has had some unpopular player takes in the past.  He usually ends up correct.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

5. Ertz blows

1) We have weapons.  I wouldn’t say it’s some overwhelming abundance of riches.  

2) “Could emerge”….

3/4) Sure, we have to pay some people.  We’re also in a good financial position.   Salary cap rising and Star, Hughes, Butler and Addison all potentially off the books after this year. 

5) No, he does not

What, only 18 pages..,?

Never gonna hit that fifty pages at this rate…

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 1