Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

A thought came to mind , not sure if it has been expressed before.

How would y'all feel if Knox is part of the trade deal for Ertz? 

I would rather keep Knox for one more season to see if he puts it all together. But I wouldn't feel too bad rolling with Ertz and Hollister. 

• Sad 1

Lol, dangling the Z. Ertz candy again and pulling it away teasing. Yeah, I most certainly don't put any stock into this ever since the 1st thread. I pretty much just smh and "whatever" when I see anything regarding this. Believe it if/when it happens. Most definitely not expecting anything though myself.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

A thought came to mind , not sure if it has been expressed before.

How would y'all feel if Knox is part of the trade deal for Ertz? 

I would rather keep Knox for one more season to see if he puts it all together. But I wouldn't feel too bad rolling with Ertz and Hollister. 

If that's the way it goes, I'd be perfectly fine with it myself. Although I don't see nothing happening with this regardless....

Just like they were supposedly ready to run to the podium on draft day with Najee Harris or...oh for the love of pete I can't remember the Clemson kid's name without googling, cripes, please hold... *muttering under breath* friggin' old, got CRS, ugh... googley google, who is the Clemson kid stuck in hell now, er, I mean, Jacksonville? Etienne, there it is... yeah, we heard a lot through April that the Bills were high on a back but then after the draft came and went, Beane said all that was BS. I'm starting to think that they have someone in the front office who they allow to be a source for the media but probably feed them a ton of misinformation with maybe little bits of truth in between.

And now this dude speculating on a deal for Ertz, yeah, he's closer to the team than the average fan but straight up says he has no inside info on it, so he was likely just writing the column for some clicks. Or... maybe the Eagles are doing their thing in the news and rumors game and leaked out a little info to him but told him to keep a lid on it? Who knows. It's as if these teams never really stop with the smokescreens on one another. 

At the end of the day, get Ertz, don't get Ertz, I don't think he's a make or break player for this team. I seriously think Knox will be just fine and is poised for a breakout year. Last we saw of Ertz he really looked like a shell of his former self, as they say. However, if he's healthy and cool with more of a #2 role, then sure, throw them a 5th or a 6th or something and bring him in and let him compete. I just don't have high hopes that he would come here and suddenly return to the player he was from like 2016-2019. 

Edited by blacklabel

37 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Just like they were supposedly ready to run to the podium on draft day with Najee Harris or...oh for the love of pete I can't remember the Clemson kid's name without googling, cripes, please hold... *muttering under breath* friggin' old, got CRS, ugh... googley google, who is the Clemson kid stuck in hell now, er, I mean, Jacksonville? Etienne, there it is... yeah, we heard a lot through April that the Bills were high on a back but then after the draft came and went, Beane said all that was BS. I'm starting to think that they have someone in the front office who they allow to be a source for the media but probably feed them a ton of misinformation with maybe little bits of truth in between.

And now this dude speculating on a deal for Ertz, yeah, he's closer to the team than the average fan but straight up says he has no inside info on it, so he was likely just writing the column for some clicks. Or... maybe the Eagles are doing their thing in the news and rumors game and leaked out a little info to him but told him to keep a lid on it? Who knows. It's as if these teams never really stop with the smokescreens on one another. 

At the end of the day, get Ertz, don't get Ertz, I don't think he's a make or break player for this team. I seriously think Knox will be just fine and is poised for a breakout year. Last we saw of Ertz he really looked like a shell of his former self, as they say. However, if he's healthy and cool with more of a #2 role, then sure, throw them a 5th or a 6th or something and bring him in and let him compete. I just don't have high hopes that he would come here and suddenly return to the player he was from like 2016-2019. 

Harris and Etienne were both gone by the Bills pick so I'm not sure how this is analogous at all.

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I hope not, but seems they are all based on the comments by the Eagles broadcaster. 

Even Will Selva reported it on Good Morning Football this morning but credited the broadcaster.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

This move wouldn't feel very process like but it would signal that we are in win now mode which we should be. I thought Knox made some important plays in post season and am not writing him off yet. 

Still I would have thought if we were to do anything in FA it would be at pass rusher. I like our draft picks but pass rushers usually don't blossom right away

I think it definitely feels like a process move, we’re just on the next step of the process. 

First you build the foundation, then when it’s pretty much built, you push in your chips and go for it. This signals to me that they realize they’re ready to make a serious push. Windows don’t typically stay open as long as they did for the pats. 

You usually get a few realistic shots and then you have to pay guys, guys get hurt, coaches get bigger opportunities, etc. Not saying we can’t be good for a long time with the coaches and GM we have in place, but you have to take your chances when they come. 

It looks to me that they think right now they’re ready, and are pushing those chips in. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I think it definitely feels like a process move, we’re just on the next step of the process.

It looks to me that they think right now they’re ready, and are pushing those chips in. 

Absolutely correct.

The Process evolves as the team evolves. There isnt just one way of doing things the same way every year. A Process got us through the rebuild years, a slightly different Process got us to the next level, and we'll need a new Process to get us to a Championship.

This is the plan that McBeane had from the beginning.

48 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

This link has exactly the same source, Merrill Reese, as the OP link.

So it's not "they" it's "he" - multiple sources quoting the same dude

It's the new trend in Lazy-Ass Sports Reporting - one guy tweets something out and then 6 or 7 reporters pick up on it and write a story about it, all citing the same tweet by the same guy as their source.

43 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Harris and Etienne were both gone by the Bills pick so I'm not sure how this is analogous at all.

The report was that the Bills were poised to trade up for one of them

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The report was that the Bills were poised to trade up for one of them

And reports from Draft Day say Beane tried to move up ahead of Jax, who took Etienne. So...

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

If that's the way it goes, I'd be perfectly fine with it myself. Although I don't see nothing happening with this regardless....

"I don't see nothing happening" - So, what is it that you do see happening?

Edited by CSBill

5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Not a damn thing as far as Ertz goes. Lol, thought that was clear, unless I'm misunderstanding your post...

16 pages and still going. What’s the over under? 55 pages before shut down? 😂 

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Not a damn thing as far as Ertz goes. Lol, thought that was clear, unless I'm misunderstanding your post...

Seriously?

"I don't see nothing happening" means you don't see NOTHING happening, Which means you see SOMETHING happening.

He was just making fun of your use of the double negative.  

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1