Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

54 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

This screams their moving on from Beasley if Ertz is signed. If Beasley is there not enough touches for Knox, Hollister & Ertz. I’m sad to even say this but Beasley’s days are numbered in Buffalo 

Not really, 2 different positions and this was out there way before the Beasley "issue" was.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Behindenemylines said:

Simply put any weapon that gives you a greater chance of winning needs to be acquired. If he gives us a 25% chance of winning a game we may otherwise have lost it’s a success.  That difference is maybe playoffs or not which could be Lombardi or not 

I doubt we will be landing a big Defense game changer at this point so go for it. Zero down side from my perspective.  

The only player on any team that gives you that kind of increased or decrease chance of winning is QB.

No other player or position even shifts a line fraction of points.  Signing Ertz maybe gives you a bit under 1% chance to win a game over Knox.  

The change in a TE on a team with 5 starting caliber WRs is fairly insignificant- especially a TE that is more of a split out rather than a blocking TE.  

The only way Ertz really helps is if Beasley chooses to sit out - they are the 2 players that split out and move chains - Ertz is not really going against Knox/Hollister as they are playing more of an H-back blocking role to protect Josh.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He's a catch-and-get-tackled player.

This is an upgrade on what we currently have.

People overrate YAC, especially with TEs. Make yourself available to the QB and catch a pass for a 1st down, anything after that is just a bonus. Ertz is a chain mover. Knox isn't. Simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Our Gene wouldn’t have brought Milan HS in Hickory, IN a Championship.  He wouldn’t have given them hope….hope is all you need sometimes.

But at the same time, Red will tell you hope is a dangerous thing.  It can drive a man mad.

200.gif

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I feel like people have unrealistic expectations for what Ertz is at this point. He's a catch-and-get-tackled player. He offers next to nothing after the catch, and he's not a very good blocker. If you feel that Knox is about to break out, adding Ertz and taking reps away from Knox might not be the best thing.

In the last 4 years, minus last year because he was injured and had bad QB play, here are Ertz's numbers:

88 catches, 916 yards and 10.4 average.

116 catches, 1163 yards and 10.0 average.

74 catches, 824 yards and 11.1 average

78 catches, 816 yards and 10.5 average.

Dawson Knox with Allen throwing to him:

24 catches, 288 yards and 12.0 average.  (missed 4 games)

28 catches, 388 and 13.9 average.

Career catch% 

Ertz - 67%

Knox - 55%

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

FECB6343-C610-435C-93B2-F1932718571B.jpeg

giphy.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In the last 4 years, minus last year because he was injured and had bad QB play, here are Ertz's numbers:

Career catch% 

Ertz - 67%

Knox - 55%

giphy.gif

ErTz waS HeRe

He's not what he used to be, but he's still far better than any of the TE's on our current roster. It's possible Knox could be better in a year or 2, but I'm starting to think he'll only be average at best. Ertz is still better than most TE's even if he's no longer elite.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

This screams their moving on from Beasley if Ertz is signed. If Beasley is there not enough touches for Knox, Hollister & Ertz. I’m sad to even say this but Beasley’s days are numbered in Buffalo 

Wow, that's just not even close to accurate. They play different positions!

And what's with all this Hollister stuff? People read a couple of reports that he was playing well in OTA's so now he is a major contributor?

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is an upgrade on what we currently have.

People overrate YAC, especially with TEs. Make yourself available to the QB and catch a pass for a 1st down, anything after that is just a bonus. Ertz is a chain mover. Knox isn't. Simple as that.

Switch "Knox isn't" to "Knox wasn't" and I'm in agreement.

The guy is so green the fact he wasn't particularly good last year doesn't tell you whether or not he'll be good this year.

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Career catch% 

Ertz - 67%

Knox - 55%

giphy.gif

Royal, I looked at the same data and came to a similar conclusion.  He is an upgrade, and one year of an jury doesn’t make him washed up.  I’m fine if we don’t grab him, and would feel better if a later round pick like 4th or later.  Not sure if he’s worth $8 mil.